Game 4—Appalachian State Mountaineers

AppinSC

6 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

I know people here used to rag on Akron for reusing that one "energy orb" commercial with Dr Proenza every year, but at least we never put out something like this.

Wow!  That's a classic!! :rofl:  At least that settles the debate over how "Appalachian" is pronounced. 

8 hours ago, LZIp said:

Don't think it would have hurt Coach Bowden to go the way of PJ Fleck with OSU having a bye week. I suppose I'll take some flack, but one "gripe" I have is that I don't feel the program is marketed enough by him. Coach hasn't tweeted since March.

He was on the Golden Boys ESPN Cleveland Yesterday, and they were asking him to be on again before the Kent game.  That's better than Twitter?  But I agree.  It'd be nice to seem him on more local radio channels.   You have to be invited, but I'd imagine someone at UA's gotta have connections with a lot of local the radio networks.

7 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I didn't see him getting a lot of action last week and I think it worked out better. I am not saying he was the problem, but whatever adjustments we made were an improvement and he was not a huge part of those adjustments.

Yes, we made some adjustments, which I have already acknowledged.  And we made some key stops when we had to make them.  But lets be honest.  We gave up 560 yards of offense to Marshall.  We're also shuffling a lot of defenders in and out of the game.  We need every bit of talent we have available to us on that side of the ball.  

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

I suppose I'll take some flack, but one "gripe" I have is that I don't feel the program is marketed enough by him. Coach hasn't tweeted since March.

The best marketing a coach can do is prepare his team to win games. Coach Bowden has won the last 7 out of 8 games. @CoachRobIanello tweets all the time. 

• Like 5

We got a very unique piece of publicity for this game on the Channel 3 News this morning.

A reporter was at a sports bar in Cleveland somewhere, and I believe they were talking to the two owners, who were dressed in Browns gear and talking about the Browns game. 

The one guy, after giving his Browns pick, held up a mini Zips helmet and said something like, "And as my bonus pick this week...I am picking the Zips over Appalachian State this week".  

I was stunned.  But more than anything else, it was a reminder to me of how much mileage App State has gotten over the years from that Michigan upset, especially from Ohio's typical OSWho Honks.  Why else would something like this have happened?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

The best marketing a coach can do is prepare his team to win games. Coach Bowden has won the last 7 out of 8 games. @CoachRobIanello tweets all the time. 

To some extent, I agree with  you.  But, I also know that every college coach at this level understands that promoting their program is an essential part of their job.  Terry SHOULD understand this, since he's been around awhile.  Faust was a master at it.  Ianello never seemed to get it at all.  

9 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Akron's athletic director used to play for the Browns, and they are wisely starting to market to area Browns (football) fans.

I'm well aware of his connections to the Browns, and have already witnessed some of the things that have already happened.  But, I'm not sure I would credit those kinds of things to the reason why I saw two Cleveland bar owners talking about the Zips this morning.  If you do, then maybe you are giving too much credit to those efforts, which have just started to even be noticed by Zips fans.  

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'm wondering where you are getting your news that he is OUT.  That's not what I am getting.  He doesn't even have an arraignment until the 30th.  There will be a small bail that he will have to post, and nothing more will happen until he has a trial scheduled, which won't happen until long after the season is over.  

Ok then he'll play. Nothing more than what was in the article from me. 

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

But, I also know that every college coach at this level understands that promoting their program is an essential part of their job.  Terry SHOULD understand this, since he's been around awhile.  Faust was a master at it.

Yeah, the Rubber Bowl was packed back in the Faust era. Several hundred people per game if I recall correctly?

I would love to see a Faust Tweet.

I heard Bowden push season tickets on every radio show or news clip he did before the season. I'm not sure what more he could have done.

As for what other reason could someone be giving shout-outs to the Zips. Perhaps the guy is an alumni that is actually proud of his alma mater football team for the 1st time since the Charlie Frye days. Cleveland is kind of notorious for being bandwagon fans for any of its teams not named the Browns. There were talks of the Cavs needing to relocate before James was drafted. Now they can bring 1 million+ people downtown. The Indians sold out 455 games when they were a perennial contender. Now they are attracting 13k fans during home games even though they are a sure bet to make the postseason. Even those OSU fans get pretty silent when OSU has one of their 7-8 win seasons.

Waiting for the next post...."I'm concerned coach Bowden is promoting the program too much and not focusing on the team" 

Back to what's important, the game. Small Hustlebelt preview...Akron Ready to Turn Some Heads.

The Akron Zips host the Appalachian State Mountaineers at InfoCision Stadium in Akron on Saturday at 3:30 with a chance to turn some heads around the country. All that stands in their way is an App State squad who manages to make national headlines seemingly every year. This figures to be a fun game. The Mountaineers started their season with a nail-biting loss at (alleged) powerhouse Tennessee and followed it up with a smacking of Old Dominion. Last week the perennial Cinderellas hosted the Miami Hurricanes in what was by far the biggest game in the history of their campus. It was supposed to be close. It was not close. --By Kevin Nye

Perfect Tailgating Weather!

akweather.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Cleveland is kind of notorious for being bandwagon fans for any of its teams not named the Browns. There were talks of the Cavs needing to relocate before James was drafted. Now they can bring 1 million+ people downtown. The Indians sold out 455 games when they were a perennial contender. Now they are attracting 13k fans during home games even though they are a sure bet to make the postseason. 

That's because Cleveland is a Football town first (Browns football) before all other teams.