Zips Training Camp 2016

akron4ever

Since camp starts today, thought we needed a dedicated thread to details around camp and anything we see or hear about how it's progressing.

I'll start by posing a question - does anyone know why we don't have the players in a hotel or dorm-type setting? I've always thought that was a factor in building team chemistry before the season, and just a cool aspect of preseason football. It kind of bums me out the guys just stay in their normal living quarters during camp. Is it a funding issue?

Edit: I figure since i created the thread, I might as well try and provide some information I'm not sure has been posted yet. Richie Cooper decided to transfer early in the Spring, it was a playing time concern. Wish he would have stuck it out. Jamal Marcus is about 255 lb and has been a beast in offseason workouts, putting on about 20 lb since the season ended.

Edited by akron4ever
Adding info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, akron4ever said:

Since camp starts today, thought we needed a dedicated thread to details around camp and anything we see or hear about how it's progressing.

I'll start by posing a question - does anyone know why we don't have the players in a hotel or dorm-type setting? I've always thought that was a factor in building team chemistry before the season, and just a cool aspect of preseason football. It kind of bums me out the guys just stay in their normal living quarters during camp. Is it a funding issue?

I'd wager that is a common sense way to save money.

19 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

Day 1 observations:  Even though the team practiced in helmets but not pads, it was easy to see why the coaching staff was happy running back Warren Ball transferred to UA from Ohio State. At a rock-solid 6-foot-1 and 232 pounds, Ball looks like the prototypical running back — big and strong. In his case, the size belies something else — speed. Ball has deceptive second and third gears. Running back Van Edwards showed why he’s in the conversation to be part of the running back rotation when he crashed through the offensive line to daylight on a run that would have been a TD in most games.

I think this situation will go a long way in deciding our season this year. If this can become a position of strength, every group offensively and defensively will benefit. Good to read that GT thinks its off to a good start. I liked the little that saw from Van last season. A few times I got the feeling that his teammates played with some swag when he entered. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

"Offensive lineman Logan Tuley-Tillman arrives with two years of eligibility..."

This is good news to me.  I thought he only had one year.

I think he learned it here.

Nice report by George. But I wish he'd have also mentioned, in addition to him getting kicked off Michigan's team, that he graduated in only 3 years. That's why he has 2 years remaining.

I'm hearing that Mykel Traylor-Bennett suffered an injury on the first day of camp and will be held out for the next 2 weeks or so. Probably not my place to disclose any details on the injury if it hasn't been made public.

Also, Logan Tuley-Tillman has not practiced yet due to some academic reasons. I believe he has one class to finish or something like that. Apparently he still has a long way to go in the weight room, which makes sense since he has been out of football since last Fall.

• Like 1

GT for ABJ scrimmage #1 story.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-have-solid-performances-and-come-out-healthy-after-first-scrimmage-1.704495

Here are GT's preliminary scrimmage notes:

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/ua-zips/university-of-akron-zips-blog-1.277207/akron-zips-football-training-camp-scrimmage-aug-13-1.704494

And here is an encouraging statement about Kato Nelson that that didn't make the final story:

"As for Nelson, he connected on 5-of-17 passes for about 70 yards. Looking at him, it’s not difficult to see what the coaching staff does.  He has the potential to wreak havoc in the conference in the future."

Edited by Blue & Gold

On 8/13/2016 at 7:24 AM, Blue & Gold said:

Just a simple observation, but I looked at your post and clicked on the link, expecting to read some sort of comprehensive Day 5 camp report, but it's dedicated almost entirely to Ball, an OSWho transfer, and written by an OSWho alum.  

Obviously, I hope he's a beast.  But, as much as we complain about our lack of coverage in the ABJ, I predict that if he starts to be productive for us, we will suddenly see a huge uptick in articles from this writer about this player.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

And this....

"The offensive lines were solid throughout."

Despite the personnel loss, this appears to be well in hand. We will have a better idea of how solid it is against App State and Marshall.

Does the O-line look good or does the d-line look bad? It sounded like a combination. 

Does anyone know why Marcus and Lane didn't play? Is it injury or just rest?

2 hours ago, Buckzip said:

Does the O-line look good or does the d-line look bad? It sounded like a combination. 

Marcus is because of injury, not sure about Lane. Marcus may miss the first game but will be ready for Wisc. 

4 hours ago, Buckzip said:

It's always a possibility that it's because the D line is struggling, but after seeing them at the spring game, I believe they will be good enough for this year with the potential to be rock solid for the following 2 years. The O line really started playing better during the second half of last season, but their talent level left a lot of opportunity for younger players to come and in and do a sufficient job this year.