Game 2—@Wisconsin Badgers

wadszip

The biggest non-conference, non-bowl win for Wisconsin probably came in 1974 against Nebraska. It came off nine straight losing seasons. 

The biggest NC win ever for Wisconsin would probably be the 1994 Rose Bowl.  Several other bowl wins and two Big Ten Champion games would probably be considered bigger than beating LSU.  We also should have defeated LSU down in Dallas in 2014.   Still, beating LSU was a big feat and felt very good.

There are several state of Ohio players on the Badger roster:

Michael Deiter from Curtice, Ohio

Griffin Grady from Dublin, Ohio

Kraig Howe from Dayton, Ohio

Robert Wheelwright from Columbus, Ohio

Deiter and Wheelwright are starters. 

I suppose Vince Biegel should be the most well-known Wisconsin player.  He's made a few all Big Ten teams.

Since 1993 the tradition on the Wisconsin offensive line, barring injury,  has been for the same five guys to start every game of a season, sometimes two seasons. That stability was shattered last season due to injuries and less than stellar play.  In 2015 the Badgers used 8 different starting combinations on the offensive line.  Finally, for the last game of the regular season a line including four redshirt freshmen was settled upon. They performed well and did well enough against USC in the bowl game. Those are the four starting sophomores this season.  The line should continue to improve, but is very decent already. 

Pretty much everyone is predicting a worse record this year than last year's 10-3.  Even though the team might actually be better.  The schedule is brutal. 

I have seen Wisconsin teams have a let down game after a big win and I've seen the team up its level of play.  Who knows?  

Happy trails to those travelling to Madison.  I'll post something later.

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Wisconsin fans seem to be amused by our musings. Let them laugh now.

http://buckyville.yuku.com/topic/87195/Akron-beats-VMI-4724-on-Saturday-Buckys-next-opponent

Maybe they ought to look at Chryst's record with the Zips. Then review our Penn State and Michigan game footage. 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've reviewed your losses to Penn State and Michigan, both coming in down years for those teams.  In the interest of thoroughness, I've also reviewed your lone victory over a Big Ten team, Ohio State in 1894.  I guess I'm not seeing the significance of your suggestion.  

46 minutes ago, Los Venerables said:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I've reviewed your losses to Penn State and Michigan, both coming in down years for those teams.  In the interest of thoroughness, I've also reviewed your lone victory over a Big Ten team, Ohio State in 1894.  I guess I'm not seeing the significance of your suggestion.  

Hey...we are the last MAC school to defeat the mighty OSU. Better watch yourself! I did notice you conveniently didn't acknowledge Chrsyt's record vs Akron. Might even want to review his record vs our FCS little brother over in Youngstown :)

Edited by LZIp

Wisci, like all fan bases, has their share of idiots. Go there once where they aren't expected to destroy you. Lmao. They are not the same cordial fans as they are to what they consider scrimmage games. They beat an over rated SEC team and now think they are awesome. 

Iust because the fan bases take other teams lightly doesn't mean the team does. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Hey...we are the last MAC school to defeat the mighty OSU. Better watch yourself! I did notice you conveniently didn't acknowledge Chrsyt's record vs Akron. Might even want to review his record vs our FCS little brother over in Youngstown :)

Thank you for your cordial reply to my cordial post.  If there's one thing we Badgers appreciate, it's cordiality.

I will now substantively address your point regarding Chryst's record at Pitt: Pitt sucks and you're not playing Pitt.

P.S. Your "little brother" is an FCS team?  Can't you find a little brother in FBS?  crap, our little brother is a P5 school.  What about Kent State? <checks recent record against Kent State>  OK, forget about Kent State.  Hey, there's always Bowling Green! <checks record> Sigh.  Toledo? <checks>  Damn.  Good thing there are so many teams in Ohio.  Who's next, Ohio? <checks> Ugh.  Miami? <checks> Hey, a three-game winning streak!  Hmm, but a sub-.0.333 overall record.

Wait, I've got a great idea, why don't we share our little brother with you?  I noticed that you've never played Minnesota.  You get to claim a FBS little brother and we get to laugh (more) at Minnesota.  It's a win-win!  Trust me anyone can beat Minnesota!  Just ask any of the Dakota FCS schools.

2 hours ago, Los Venerables said:

Thank you for your cordial reply to my cordial post.  If there's one thing we Badgers appreciate, it's cordiality.

I will now substantively address your point regarding Chryst's record at Pitt: Pitt sucks and you're not playing Pitt.

P.S. Your "little brother" is an FCS team?  Can't you find a little brother in FBS?  crap, our little brother is a P5 school.  What about Kent State? <checks recent record against Kent State>  OK, forget about Kent State.  Hey, there's always Bowling Green! <checks record> Sigh.  Toledo? <checks>  Damn.  Good thing there are so many teams in Ohio.  Who's next, Ohio? <checks> Ugh.  Miami? <checks> Hey, a three-game winning streak!  Hmm, but a sub-.0.333 overall record.

Wait, I've got a great idea, why don't we share our little brother with you?  I noticed that you've never played Minnesota.  You get to claim a FBS little brother and we get to laugh (more) at Minnesota.  It's a win-win!  Trust me anyone can beat Minnesota!  Just ask any of the Dakota FCS schools.

Please don't feed the troll.

2 hours ago, Los Venerables said:

Any suggestions for tailgating?

53 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Any suggestions for tailgating?

Madison on gameday is more of a bar-turned-into-outdoor-beer-garden scene. Camp Randall parking is mostly in the neighborhoods surrounding the stadium, and while there are some people who are tailgating in the neighborhoods - I assume hosted by the people who live there - most of the pageantry is at the bars.

If you've never been to Madison and may never visit again, there are some things you might want to do. There is a whole board on the Wisconsin scout site devoted to tailgating and visiting Madison http://www.scout.com/college/wisconsin/forums/2562-tailgating. The pinned topic at the top is a good start.

Watch out for a bit of foul language and taunting on the Brees Terrace side of Camp Randall - it's a big college house party scene, and the taunting is actually meant to be good-natured, but not everyone knows that going in, I wouldn't really expect much animus for this game, however, but it's happened before.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Los Venerables said:

I've reviewed your losses to Penn State and Michigan, both coming in down years for those teams.   

Right, those were down years for us too but we still scared 'em good. We haven't really had an up year since 2005 when we won the MAC. Last year we won our first bowl game but didn't beat anyone with a winning record and got wrecked by our division champ. A B10 win would be almost as huge for us as the SEC win was for you. Go Zips!

2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

A B10 win would be almost as huge for us as the SEC win was for you. 

Oh my gosh.  Don't get a couple of the Big 10 excusers around here fired up again by suggesting that a Big 10 win against an SEC school is just as improbable as a MAC win over over a Big 10 school.  :lol: