Game 2—@Wisconsin Badgers

wadszip

48 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Regardless, I never saw either game as something you could hold up and brag about to any college football audience.  You might be able to benefit from some internal moral boost for your defense from playing well.  Or maybe some sense of encouragement in a conversation among Zips fans.  But, it doesn't mean squat to anyone else beyond that.   People are still going to laugh at Akron for losing by 18 to a Big 10 school.  They don't care about the details.  

Well, the PSU fans in our area were very impressed with the Zips D and not the usual, "our team is stinking it up" talk as much as it was, "Your Zips are pretty good" talk. On paper, nothing stands out, but the stinginess of the D stood out on film.

Secondly, those close, tough fought games do help when it comes to recruiting. It means something to a kid to know that the school they are looking at is in the game going into the 4th quarter. Would it have meant more if we won? Sure, but it still has some value as a recruiting tool when we play well.

It would be great to finish the job next year, when we go back.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

Well, the PSU fans in our area were very impressed with the Zips D and not the usual, "our team is stinking it up" talk as much as it was, "Your Zips are pretty good" talk. On paper, nothing stands out, but the stinginess of the D stood out on film.

Secondly, those close, tough fought games do help when it comes to recruiting. It means something to a kid to know that the school they are looking at is in the game going into the 4th quarter. 

There's close games, and then there's 21-3 games.....Unless you are a potential recruit who watched the game closely, and chose to look only at a specific silver lining.

2013 Michigan Wolverines were ranked No. 12 when the Zips (previously 1-11) played them and took 'em to the last play of the game (and quite possibly have won). The No. 12 Michigan Wolverines that year had beat No. 14 Ranked Notre Dame worse than the Badgers beat No. 5 ranked LSU, and absolutely crushed CMU the week before that.  

Hindsight is 20/20; so everyone (especially Wisconsin fans right now apparently) explain away that game as Michigan was a "down year".  Objectively speaking though we can't rely on hindsight.  At the time Michigan was being considered an upstart on the turnaround, a dark horse for National Championship consideration, especially after beating Notre Dame (a team with a lot of hype itself after going 12-0 and losing the national championship) 41-30. From the same logical tree, one could easily say that Penn State, Michigan and Tennessee all had down years because they played against the zips and therefore Wisconsin is also in for a down year this year.  

What I'm trying to point out is what everyone already knows; its all noise.  Rankings mean nothing more than a popularity contest at this point of the year.  This is why we play the game and we don't put W's on the schedule before the games are played.

Yes it isn't a mirage, I am posting. Cheers everyone.

When Akron plays a I-AA school, Zips fans aren't too worried about it.  We expect to win.  With ease.  We might even have a little air of superiority as we discuss the upcoming game and that probably ruffles the feathers of that I-AA school's fans and they might want to educate us Zips fans about how their team isn't a pushover.

I am sure we all would give a I-AA team a lot of credit if their fans would have posted how their team had a chance to beat Ball State on the last play of the game in 2013 and only lost to Toledo 21-3 after being very competitive through 3 quarters in 2014.  On top of that, there was that game in 2007 vs. Northern Illinois where the score was 3-2 at halftime and that we should take heed that this little ol' I-AA ain't no slouch.

We would laugh at their fans.

That's what Wisconsin fans are doing reading this thread.

Please stop.

• Like 6

Not relevant to this thread or anything in particular, but why does a 31-13 score sound more like a blow-out than 21-3?  Maybe that's just me.

One of the threads on the Badger board mentions that Wisconsin hasn't been tested by a competent QB yet.  True.  And it looks like the UW defense will get a nice test from Thomas Woodson.  407 yards and 6 TDs is impressive.  (The MAC has had a surprisingly high number of excellent QBs.  I remember the kid from BGSU who carved up the Badger defense pretty well in 2005 - 42 points in a 42-56 loss.  

And the Zips also had a 100+ yard rusher to go with.  Good offense.  I understand it's a spread system.  Is that correct?  Is it also no-huddle? 

Before Dave Aranda, the Badgers were very vulnerable to that type of offense.  He did some things with his 3-4 scheme that neutralized at least some of the spread's effectiveness. Don't know how well Wilcox's scheme will work.  We'll all find out.

38 minutes ago, K92 said:

When Akron plays a I-AA school, Zips fans aren't too worried about it.  We expect to win.  With ease.  We might even have a little air of superiority as we discuss the upcoming game and that probably ruffles the feathers of that I-AA school's fans and they might want to educate us Zips fans about how their team isn't a pushover.

I am sure we all would give a I-AA team a lot of credit if their fans would have posted how their team had a chance to beat Ball State on the last play of the game in 2013 and only lost to Toledo 21-3 after being very competitive through 3 quarters in 2014.  On top of that, there was that game in 2007 vs. Northern Illinois where the score was 3-2 at halftime and that we should take heed that this little ol' I-AA ain't no slouch.

We would laugh at their fans.

That's what Wisconsin fans are doing reading this thread.

Please stop.

This one time.... In zips history.... We came within a score of a big ten team. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BigAppleBucky said:

And the Zips also had a 100+ yard rusher to go with.  Good offense.  I understand it's a spread system.  Is that correct?  Is it also no-huddle? 

Before Dave Aranda, the Badgers were very vulnerable to that type of offense.  He did some things with his 3-4 scheme that neutralized at least some of the spread's effectiveness. Don't know how well Wilcox's scheme will work.  We'll all find out.

Yes, we run the spread, and I think we are mostly no huddle - I didn't really pay much attention to whether we ever use the huddle. I am wondering if we would use the huddle to help with clock management. Tommy seems to get into a nice rhythm in no huddle, though.

We used to really be lacking in the WR department but went from famine to feast, so please excuse our enthusiasm over the offense. Lane started turning up the heat last year, but defenses began zeroing in on him. Lane is a converted LB and his size and speed make him a serious threat. I think it is reasonable to expect we will see him playing on Sundays  in the future. He had 2 TDs last week and fumbled one into the end zone, recovered by UT State transfer, Jojoba Natson, who is small and fast. Lane has made some crazy, one handed catches and is extremely athletic. Including Lane's fumble recovery, Natson scored 3 touchdowns for us last week.  In addition to those Lane and Natson,  Austin Wolf has come through with some very tough catches and cannot be overlooked. Our second string reserves also have a couple of speedsters that are dual sport (track/football) athletes.

Warren Ball, on OSU transfer who rushed for over 100 yards last week, has come on very strong. The pass threat should open up some opportunities for him, despite a young, inexperienced OL.

I think the key to our success, offensively, will be to make the most of any man coverage opportunities we get.

Defensively, we are young and inexperienced and had to replace a lot of our front 7. We are returning NFL prospect, Jamal Marcus, who is a tough as nails, DE, Pittman, an OSU transfer, and have added a Miami U (FL) transfer to the DL, Jelani Hamilton. Hamilton did not play last week but we are expecting him (fingers crossed this week.) Hamilton packs size (6' 5", 302 lbs) and experience (R-Sr). Hamilton is not listed as a starter this week, but I am hoping we see a lot of him. It is unclear why he did not play last week. We also have former FSU recruit, Brian Bell. Bell is inexperienced but is a hard hitting athletic, OLB. The strength of our D is in the secondary and I expect to see them helping out the young LB, some this week, as Bowden referenced in his presser. One player that had a great game and training camp that bears watching is Ulysses Gilbert. Gilbert, and our other LBs have had the benefit of learning from 2 former Zips no on NFL roster, (Justin March and Jatavis Brown.) Brown was the MAC defensive player of the year last year and has made a good impression on the Chargers. March has been named a starter in this week's season opener for the Chiefs. The defense has been the strength for the Zips over the last 3 seasons and this is a transition year, of sorts. We have fewer transfers playing on D, and a lot less experience. Time will tell if they can follow in Brown and March's footsteps. The thing I have seen referenced for both Brown and March is how hard they study. Hopefully, that was passed down to the younger Zips LBs and they are playing beyond their experience, shortly.

Our defense is really the bigger question mark for the Zips. We would be very happy to see our D do well enough to give our offense a chance to keep us in the game.

2 hours ago, BigAppleBucky said:

Not relevant to this thread or anything in particular, but why does a 31-13 score sound more like a blow-out than 21-3?  Maybe that's just me.

One of the threads on the Badger board mentions that Wisconsin hasn't been tested by a competent QB yet.  True.  And it looks like the UW defense will get a nice test from Thomas Woodson.  407 yards and 6 TDs is impressive.  (The MAC has had a surprisingly high number of excellent QBs.  I remember the kid from BGSU who carved up the Badger defense pretty well in 2005 - 42 points in a 42-56 loss.  

A lot this will be echoing a bit from what zips outsider already said.

Yes, it's a (pass first) spread, no-huddle offense. Maybe TB decides to slow things down, but that would be a game-flow call. I'd expect 3-4 wide with the single back (Ohio State transfer Warren Ball) in the backfield with Woodson. Though, for this game, specifically, I wouldn't mind seeing our backup TE Newman Williams (a 6-2, 270-pound in-line blocker) take the place of Mykel Taylor-Bennett, a converted 6-3, 230 pound WR who is now a move TE. I think the Zips will need to run the ball and Williams, IMO, would be a better option crashing down on the line and trying to free up a running lane, and we saw Bennett struggle with that last week with a couple of holding penalties (though one was bogus on a  big run that was called back) against a much-smaller and less athletic VMI front 7. While Williams can't create the same type of mismatches in the receiving game as Bennett can, Williams moves well enough where I think he could find some openings in the Badgers' 3-4 defense, if he is needed as an outlet receiver.

The bigger reason for going with Williams, again this is all my opinion, is that this team now has weapons on the outside that makes having a move TE less of a priority. Like zipsoutsider said, Lane will be playing on Sundays. Physically, he is in the Josh Gordon mold, and he looks more like an actual WR (granted against an overmatched foe) than just a go-up-and-get-it target like he was last year. Most of his 10 catches and nearly 200 yards came off of WR routes. Then Natson adds a shifty game-breaker on the other side, along with Wolf (who was a state-final caliber100-meter runner at the big-school Ohio level in high school). 

As for Ball. Wisconsin fans will know this since they are also stacked at RB. He looks like a guy who could've started at 80-percent of colleges in the country (just happened to be behind the No. 1 RBs selected in the 2014 and 2016 NFL drafts, respectively) while at Ohio State. He has the size people drool about (6-1, 225). Not great speed, but has great feet. A one cut and go back, who has some shiftiness in the open field once he gets north-south.  The question in the running game isn't Ball, who I think will have a Thomas Rawls type year. (For those who don't remember, Rawls was buried behind (lesser) backs at Michigan, transferred to Central Michigan for a year and was picked up by the Seattle Seahawks, where he supplanted Marshawn Lynch.) In the Akron running game, It's not whether Ball is legit, it's whether a pretty green Oline will be able to create any holes for him. That's TBD, big time. They struggled for the most part against VMI, but did open up some holes in the second half, where it seemed like Ball did most of his damage.

The young Oline did do a good job in pass blocking, though, that will be a major step up in competition this week. 

On defense, both DEs are legit. Actually, both would likely be starting at Ohio State this year if both (who are OSU transfers) stuck around. Se'Von Pittman was a top 100 recruit who committed to Michigan State, then decommitted and went to OSU before deciding to transfer closer to home. Jamal Marcus was the starter for Ohio State (as a freshman) when the Buckeyes played Clemson in the Orange Bowl when 2016 NFL Draft early second-round pick Noah Spence was suspended. Marcus was the Buckeyes' best defensive player in that game.

Inside, we'll see if the now locally infamous Miami transfer Jelani Hamilton does play this week. He's another former top 100 recruit who played early at Miami (Fla.) before injuries got him buried. But he is a guy the Zips will need inside against a powerful Wisconsin Oline. Darius Copeland and Brock Boxen are nice players, but they just can't match up physically. Hamilton, at 6-5, 305, can, especially since he has an elite pedigree.

The secondary will hold up just fine against Wisconsin. The Zips have a likely NFL draft pick in DeAndre Scott, another Miami transfer Larry Hope and a Boston College transfer Bryce Jones. All three have a ton of experience. Zach Guiser is an All-MAC caliber player at FS.

The question is the linebackers, but that was always the question. In Week 1, it was up-and-down. ... Though the upside is there. This unit has next to no experience but has guys who can run sideline to sideline with any P5 program ... and lay the wood with the best. The problem I noticed, however, was it was also the group that played the worst assignment football, which is too be expected for them being so young, of any unit on the team. You never want to take the aggressiveness away from a group like that, but you can get away with it against VMI, you can't against Wisconsin. It'll be a big coaching job this week for Chuck Amato to try to rein those guys in without making them think too much.

But Akron has two LBers in the NFL currently (both probably starters in Justin March and Jatavis Brown). Ulysses Gilbert is easily going to be the third. Just a true sophomore, but you can tell he has "it". Brian Bell, the former Florida State recruit (before being black-balled on a bogus murder accusation) also looks to be a future star ... but he just got to the program during camp last year because of the political BS, so he is still learning. The one senior, John Rachal, made a couple nice plays last week and he is hopefully a guy who can shine now given the chance to play. One thing about him, is he knows Amato's system being a four-year guy.

For the Wisconsin fans, trust me, you guys are the favorite. But you won't walk into this game and just out-athlete the Zips, who athletically, are probably just as good as any mid-tier Big 10 team. The two big advantages you will have is offensive line (and when considering it's Wisconsin, that's a huge advantage) and the Zips having a young, and if week 1 was an indication, kind of reckless LB core (which I guess could be a good thing against a run-first team like Wisconsin).

• Like 5

University of Akron football: Unranked Zips face “monumental task” on Saturday against No. 10 ranked Wisconsin

By Michael Beaven  Beacon Journal sports writer

“We throw the ball pretty quick,” Bowden said. “We get rid of the ball, and I think the offensive line had a good first day. They have room for improvement. They are going to get tested in a whole new way this week.”

During the VMI game the announcer stated that the Zips offensive line is the second least experienced in the nation.

Edit: I'm sorry, I mistyped. INexperienced. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

During the VMI game the announcer stated that the Zips offensive line is the second least experienced in the nation.

I have seen that, elsewhere, too. I think to play as well as it seems they are playing (based on camp reports and spring game, too) they are a pretty talented unit. We will know better in a few weeks.

28 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

University of Akron football: Unranked Zips face “monumental task” on Saturday against No. 10 ranked Wisconsin

“We throw the ball pretty quick,” Bowden said. “We get rid of the ball, and I think the offensive line had a good first day. They have room for improvement. They are going to get tested in a whole new way this week.”

I think you had it right ;)

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I have seen that, elsewhere, too. I think to play as well as it seems they are playing (based on camp reports and spring game, too) they are a pretty talented unit. We will know better in a few weeks.

After one of Woodson's first TD tosses, a guy behind me said "I think he had more time to throw on that play than he did combined all of last season."

If we can give Woodson some time to throw on Saturday, we'll put up some points. If the offensive line can create a few holes for Ball, we have a puncher's chance to win.

I hope Milwee realizes Ball is likely a once-in-a-lifetime back for the Zips. He can't be used sparingly like Hundly or Chisholm. Ball should have 16+ TD's this season. I LOVE having him in the backfield when we're near the goal line. 

• Like 1

I'm sure Bowden understands how to utilize talent.  But understanding his current philosophy, and what we've seen the last several years, I can be pretty sure that we will continue to be a pass-it-around team, with the running game being secondary.  

He doesn't want 3-4 yard gains.  He wants to score points.   And we may have more over-the-top type of opportunities this year than we've ever had before.  There's no way we give that up for a few more rushing plays.  

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

If they have success overwhelming our inexperienced o-line, I hope TW4 can burn them with some scrambling and/or throwing on roll-outs. We didn't show that much on Sat.

14 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

If they have success overwhelming our inexperienced o-line, I hope TW4 can burn them with some scrambling and/or throwing on roll-outs. We didn't show that much on Sat.

It will definitely be an added dimension. When you have to keep your eyes on the receivers, watch out for Ball out of the backfield and contain a QB who can scramble, it makes life a little more difficult for the D.