national collegiate soccer coaches proposes that mens soccer becomes 2 semester sport

I'd love it as a Spring sport too.  This should work well for ANY major college with any recognized soccer program. 

I have a serious problem attending events when we get to that period where football, soccer, and basketball all overlap.  This would prevent that.    

Edited by skip-zip
  • Like 1

Especially when you have a brother or a cousin playing high school football and you have to decide between going to their game Friday night, or traveling an hour to go see Akron soccer? For this Friday, I'm choosing #10 Georgetown @ #2 Akron over going to my relative's home football opener. Plus, I officiate high school soccer so most other nights, I have a game to officiate and can't make it to the Zips soccer games. For example, I had to officiate on the opening night of high school soccer last Friday night(Friday Futbol sponsored by Columbus Crew/OHSAA), so I missed the Michigan-Akron exhibition match.

If it's one day a week, it's much more tolerable to set time in one day off to the side to go watch them. Plus, this could be college soccer's way of making sure those that have a chance to play at the next level, are mentally and physically prepared as best as they can for the long MLS season. And by the way, that's the only downside I see to this. And that's how MLS approaches it's rookies. They get drafted in January and then start the season playing matches in March/April, correct? So how will this work when MLS teams are drafting after their season already started, or still in January but have to wait until May or June to get their rookies on roster.

Edited by mes102

6 hours ago, mes102 said:

And by the way, that's the only downside I see to this. And that's how MLS approaches it's rookies. They get drafted in January and then start the season playing matches in March/April, correct? So how will this work when MLS teams are drafting after their season already started, or still in January but have to wait until May or June to get their rookies on roster.

I don't know if this answers your question, or not.

"Question No. 15:         How will this model affect underclassmen and senior student-athletes who have traditionally been able to turn pro at the conclusion of the season/fall semester?

Answer: Currently, players could become professionals at any time if leagues allowed it. In the U.S. the appeal would be made to the leagues to have measures in place to allow signing at the conclusion of the college season (MLS, USL, NASL). International teams would probably give no consideration to the college season."

And I have another question which I was unable to decipher from the article.  Would the Zips be playing soccer in the middle of winter?  Or will there be fall ball, then an extended break.  And then they'd finish the season in the spring around the same time as baseball?

Big shift.  Seems pretty radical to me right now, but after a couple years I guess I'd take the new structure for granted.

Fall ball, extended break, spring and post season.

Love it. This will sharply increase collegiate soccer's developmental relevancy.  And the season will not be so compressed.  Bring it on!

Akron could then host a College Cup.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 0:01 PM, ZachTheZip said:

4047 for the semis, and 4081 for the championship, which was unusually low. Most years it's over 8k.

That may have been the PAID ATTENDANCE, but from al TV indications there were from a few hundred to couple thousand actually at Sporting Park.  But, nonetheless, the NCAA would want to have the College Cup at a venue that could attract at least 10k.

Edited by Z.I.P.

9 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

That may have been the PAID ATTENDANCE, but from al TV indications there were from a few hundred to couple thousand actually at Sporting Park.  But, nonetheless, the NCAA would want to have the College Cup at a venue that could attract at least 10k.

Actually, having been there I think it would have been tough to tell by the tv coverage. There were pockets of fans in various locations around the stadium. Even the Zips fans couldn't agree on congregating together behind our team. Some were behind the Stanford bench. Some were up at the top of the center lower sections. Some of us were behind our bench. Plus there were numerous fans in the loges as well as standing along the walk ways. Also some of the Akron & Stanford fans only showed up for our game. Some of the Syracuse and Clemsen fans left after their game. I think the number for the semis looks about right, but absolutely is too low. I can confidently say that there were more Zips fans in Cary in 2009 and at UCSB in 2010 than the were in KC last year. It wasn't cheap getting there, and KC isn't much of a draw in December. It will be interesting to see how the College Cup draws in Houston this year. Although Houston is not one of my favorite destinations, it isn't bad in December and has a major hub airport as well as a good secondary airport.

I've heard, but not confirmed, that UCSB is to become a regular College Cup destination. I hope that works out. I don't think most people realize how fortunate we were in December 2010. That was unusually warm weather for SB in December. The weekend before the 2010 College Cup, the weather was cool and raining a lot. The weekend after, they had a lot of mud slides in the area.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Thanks -- I suppose the TV broadcast can be confusing.  Your ref to UCSB sounds like the NCAA will go to a venue "rotation", ala the British Open golf.  Hope that are a couple West Coast locations.  BTW -- sorry I won't be able to make the Zips trip to SoCal next month.  Just not able to work the sked out.  I expect the team to return to the W Coast more often/years than not.

• 3 years later...

Damn.  I didn't realize it would result in FEWER games overall... I guess that's the only way they could sell it.  FWIW, I've talked to a head coach in women's soccer who says there's as much support among her colleagues (at least on the West Coast) as there is among men's coaches.  I expect them to follow.

• 2 weeks later...