2017 Commit: DE Justin Sampson

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/varsity-letters/abjvarsity-1.279974/st-v-m-senior-justin-sampson-pledges-to-play-football-at-the-university-of-akron-1.707209

“During the summer, Justin said Akron was No. 1 on his list, and he had eight or nine Division I scholarship offers from schools such as Boston College, Kent State and Toledo. He feels comfortable at Akron and likes the coaches.”

Edited by Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I wonder if the recruitment of local fans is as successful? It sure would be fun to see 20k in InfoCision next Saturday.

Given the region's unmatched obsession with high school football, having a bunch of local recruits has to help, right? One would hope.

What would really get their attention is if one of these Akron kids makes it to the NFL draft.

13 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

Given the region's unmatched obsession with high school football, having a bunch of local recruits has to help, right? One would hope.

What would really get their attention is if one of these Akron kids makes it to the NFL draft.

Jerome Lane is on the right track!

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Jerome Lane is on the right track!

Sampson is a rush DE that also plays WR and returns kicks.

6' 2", 215 lbs going into his senior season. Seems like a similar skill set to Lane's? I'll bet both offensive and defensive Zips coaches will be lobbying Bowden for his services.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Saw this guy play last Friday night in Youngstown against Mooney.

He is straight diesel.  He's one of those athletes who is b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l. in pads.

He was clearly the best athlete on the field at all times.  For either team.  Not close.

He's fast.  Fast off the edge - though probably not beefy enough to play DE in college.  But who knows.  Looks more like a LB.

He returned a kickoff for a touchdown & no one was close to catching him from behind.  He coasted the final 40 yards.  At 6-2, 215 it was beautiful.

I'm surprised STVM doesn't have him at RB.  I'd be trying to get the ball into his hands as often as possible.

Also surprised STVM didn't use him at WR.  Only kickoff return & defense.  

I think we got the proverbial "steal' with this guy. 

• Like 3