Seattle Redhawks

6 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

I hope no one on Zips squad, player or staff, expects Seattle to be an easier opponent than Georgetown.

If I remember correctly, Seattle shut out a very high powered UCLA team last year to advance in the NCAA tournament and they also have 2 pre season all americans on their team.   Great credit to Coach Embick for starting the season with 2 top ten teams.

1 hour ago, TennZip said:

Great credit to Coach Embick for starting the season with 2 top ten teams.

I always respected Porter for doing the same thing.  In fact, the year we won the National Championship, we started the season on the road at Top-5 ranked Wake Forest and North Carolina, if everyone remembers.   

This is unlike a football program down south in our state, who played a 50-something ranked schedule, and we had to hear all of their fans bitch when they didn't make the playoff.  You could also possibly make the same argument concerning our very own basketball program.  

I've always said.....

If you don't want anyone to question how great you think you are, then SCHEDULE the best, and BEAT THEM.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Well, I at least HOPE that's the case.  Georgetown is ranked higher than Seattle, and I think we need to do a little more than winning in the final seconds at home to convince people that we are deserving of a top national ranking.  

It's soccer. That's how it goes sometimes. The Zips do need to do a better job of finishing, but scoring the winning goal with 36 seconds left against a team of Georgetown's caliber is exactly the kind of win that should convince fans this is a team worthy of their attention. 

As far as today's opponent, our players and coaches all know that Seattle is every bit as good as if not better than the Hoyas. It will be a tough match. Another match worthy of Zips Men's Soccer.

Edited by Zip_ME87

5 observations from a "Soccer for Dummies" reader.

1.  Seattle is really good.

2. In the 2nd half the Zips looked absolutely amazing.

3. Hinds is going to be special.

4. We've really found something special in Lundt.  Wow.

5. Adam Najem was awfully quiet. (Here's where my Soccer For Dummies soccer knowledge is definitely showing - Najem was named to the Akron Classic All-Tournament Team.)

Edited by Blue & Gold

Random notes from this weekend:

·         As suspected by fknbuflobo, Seattle is a significantly better team than Georgetown.

·         A 6’7” ‘keeper who grabs just about anything in the air AND can get to the ground quickly?  Are you kidding me?  This may sound premature, but I think Ben has a chance to be the best keeper in UA history.  He could easily be the difference in several more games this year.

·         Nick Hinds is so much fun to watch.  The pace is a given, but his ball skills are much better than I ever expected from a freshman left back.   I wonder if he might eventually move up-field at some point down the road.

·         Thank you, thank you, thank you to Brad. With WVU’s win over the Hoyas yesterday, it’s looking more and more like he may have saved the Zips from a not-too-pretty draw which may have hurt them for seeding later in the year.  How does he not make the all-tourney team?

·         I liked the switch when Adam started taking the corners.  It’s hard not to want him striking the ball first on any set piece.

·         The Zips held serve over the weekend.  Hopefully Stuart comes back soon and the offense will continue to improve as it did in the 2nd half against Seattle.

Edited by johnnyzip84

Lundt came up big early on against Seattle. He definitely has the potential to be special. I can't help but like our chances in a PK situation where some of the pressure is taken off of our shooters because Lundt is tall and wide enough to get to one or two more of the opponents shots.

Nice to be 2-0 coming off matches against ranked opponents where we were suspect at times and still finding ourselves and building chemistry. Barring injuries, we'll be where we want to be at the end of the regular season. Go Zips!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

5. Adam Najem was awfully quiet. (Here's where my Soccer For Dummies soccer knowledge is definitely showing - Najem was named to the Akron Classic All-Tournament Team.)

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/the91stminute/2016/08/adam-najem-college-soccers-best-player-is-already-doing-things/

...NFL scouts love SEC programs because they more closely replicate the hard-knock rigors of the pro game. The styles are similar and so the risks are fewer. There are a few college programs that routinely produce good professionals, and Akron is essentially the Alabama of men’s college soccer. The coaching and development apparatus are there in a way they simply are not in most other programs. The track record of pros at every level – Yedlin and Kitchen and Trapp and Nagbe and Mattocks and Abdul-Salaam and Bunbury and Zakuani – is not to be ignored. There are no coincidences here....

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 3

Akron 1-0 Seattle

Seattle is much better than Georgetown.  I never would have said that in the Spring, when Zips' schedule was made.

This was a very tight match, with no daylight between the two sides.  But for some key saves, Redhawks may have won.

GK Ben Lundt is 100% better than advertized.  I am actually a bit giddy at his potential, but I will save all the hyperbolic language banging about my skull.

Both our Plantation boys (that sounds a little bad) got big upside.   Let the love affair with NHinds and JLew commence.

Adam Najem is AN10!   That looping chip pass to Sanda was sublime!

23 hours ago, mes102 said:

Yes, but the audio was well over a minute ahead of the video...

It's ridiculous.  My delay was only about 10-15 seconds, but I still knew that we scored the winning goal WAY before I could see it, based on the announcers description.  It takes all of the fun out of watching.   I might as well just listen to the audio only.  Someone HAS to fix that.  It's bush league.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

We may see Seattle again deep in the post season.  Very talented team.  All kinds of credit to them for playing up and down the field soccer against the Zips. 

I also think that Coach Embick and his staff deserve a great deal of credit for making adjustments at half time.  

Like several others, I sure do not think that Adam was awfully quiet..   He threaded several passes thru heavy traffic.   Adam truly has a special vision on what will work on the field.

For both games, I tried to watch the action but I also tried to focus on Adam and Victor.   They both were all over the field on defense and both are so calm(while being decisive) in making passes and advancing the ball up the field.  Victor and Adam's talent and intense competitive fire are going to lead this team to a great season .  I thought that both Adam and Victor were outstanding in both games.  

With all of the surgeries that he has endured, very happy for Tyler Sanda to be the hero.  Great student athlete.    

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I have to admit, I'd never heard of Ben Lundt before the GU game!  He was playing where last year -- in NAIA?!?  Kudos to that Embick bellow and his GK coach -- whoever spotted him!  He looks like a "keeper"! 

• Like 2