Three for Thursday [Keydets @ Zips]

Dr Z

2016 Game 1 Three For Thursday™  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How many sacks will the Zips defense have?

2. 2. How many yards receiving will JoJo Natson have?

• 100 yards or more
    • 99 yards or less
  3. 3. How many yards rushing will Warren Ball have?

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm probably too excited & thus overly optimistic but...

1. How many sacks will the Zips' D have?  = 3 or more.  Defense is gonna be fired up with a lot to prove.  They're gonna take it out on the Keydets.

2. How many receiving yards will JoJo have? = 100 yards or more.  Woodson is going to be targeting his new weapon & I anticipate JoJo breaking a long one.

3. How many yards rushing will Warren Ball have?  = 130 or more.  Bowden will keep Ball & our starting OL in the game till into the 4th Quarter to give our guys more time to gel.  (D-1 needs to allow scrimmages.)

Edited by Blue & Gold

1. 3 or more, I just feel our offensive talent will make it to where VMI will have to pass more, therefore there will be more opportunities for sacks.  In fact I expect Deon'Tae Moore to impress in his first game of his career

2.  JoJo will have 99 yards receiving or less, but he will have more than 100 yards combined via rush, return, and receiving.  The game should be in control so I would expect coach to look at getting as many people involved on offense so that we have them game tested

3.  Warren Ball will be below 129 but above 100.  For the same reason as JoJo, game testing all of the "offensive weapons".  

On offense I am actually looking for Traylor-Bennett to have a breakout performance due to the mismatches he is going to see, and despite JoJo being the new hot thing, Lane is still the #1 target on this team because of vertical passing.

1. Seems like 2 sacks is a given so I expect at least 3.

2. JJN9 could have some big plays and a lot of yards but we have a lot of receivers needing reps so I think the passes are going to get spread around

3. Like #2, I think the coaches will want to work out several guys at RB so WB34 sits if he goes over 100. But he could go over 130 if he breaks several long runs in the first half.

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

1. Seems like 2 sacks is a given so I expect at least 3.

2. JJN9 could have some big plays and a lot of yards but we have a lot of receivers needing reps so I think the passes are going to get spread around

3. Like #2, I think the coaches will want to work out several guys at RB so WB34 sits if he goes over 100. But he could go over 130 if he breaks several long runs in the first half.

My line of thinking is pretty similar to yours, except I picked two or less sacks because 1) Marcus is out, and 2) VMI is a predominately running team, IIRC.

Edited by LZIp

1.) My prediction is if Marcus ends up playing (I believe he will), he will have at least 2-3 himself. Even if he doesn't, Pittman and the rest of the DL will still play well and have more than 3. VMI is also likes to throw the ball.

2.) I will say over 100 yards for JoJo in 3Q of action, but not on more than 5-6 receptions. I predict he will break one for 50+ yards. 

3.) I'll say less than 130 yards for WB. I just don't think he is the type of back to break a real long one (maybe against VMI/FCS athletes he could), but I'm not sure we should give him more than 15-20 carries this game.

On the subject of Three for Thursday, our three captains are JoJo Natson (Offense), Deandre Scott (Defense), and James Turner (Special Teams).

Edited by akron4ever
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, akron4ever said:

On the subject of Three for Thursday, our three captains are JoJo Natson (Offense), Deandre Scott (Defense), and James Turner (Special Teams).

Wow, Natson transfers in for one year and is elected a captain? Must be one impressive young man.

1. 3+ Sacks - this young D has something to prove
  2. JoJo _100 - Speed kills.
  3. WB - I say over 130 just because I think he will break one for a big gain. Take this with a grain of salt, but George Thomas claims that Balls has a higher gear that Jawon Chisholm never had. I think he has the strength of Hundley but with faster wheels.

I think it is easy to overlook Pittman. If he plays up to his potential, he can really help the young D out. Although young, I really expect solid play from Boxen and Bell, too. Nothing would please me more than to go long on our first play from the line of scrimmage and score. I'd like to see us coming blazing out of the gates.

46 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Wow, Natson transfers in for one year and is elected a captain? Must be one impressive young man.

I think it's a combination of a few factors: 

1.) He's really good

2.) He's a good teammate

3.) He's the only starting senior on offense (other than Ball, but he wouldn't get named captain after being here two months). 

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

And this is his second year as their teammate.

Exactly. He may seem like a newcomer to fans, but really this is his second year with the program. Same thing with a guy like Marcus - his exposure to the fans is limited to the 11 games he's played with the team, but he's really onto his 3rd year here.

14 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Congratulations to this weeks winners, LZip, UA1987 and MDZip guessed all three correctly. :bow:

My apologies to all three, as I originally wrote there were no winners. I have no excuse.

We'll let it slide....this time ;). Thanks for putting these together.