Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ZachTheZip

2017 Commit: RB/LB Marquise Bridges

Recommended Posts

This is a guy I was really hoping was going to join the rest of the local kids in this class. He may be the best pure football player in Summit County.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the Ellet vs Field game back on September 9th. Bridges is the real deal at RB. I believe he had 324 yards and 4 or 5 TD's in that game. He had back to back 57 yard and 87 yard TD runs. I know Ellet scored something like 83 points last Friday, not sure how many yards he had in that game, but a lot I'm sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was able to attend the Ellet -vs- East game last night to watch four future Zips in action.

 

Marquise Bridges absolutely blew me away.  Nothing I write here will appropriately convey how fast this guy is.  I've literally never seen anything like it and I've been watching high school football for 20 years & have seen some great RB's.

 

I've never seen a burst like this.  I was sitting on the East side (who won, btw), and no one was comfortable till the clock hit 00:00 because Marquise will take it to he house from anywhere on the field.  If there is a crease, forget about it - gone.  No one's catching him.

 

Something I also like about Marquise is that if nothing is there, he'll put his head down and at least get one yard, maybe two.  I thought this showed a lot of smarts for a home run hitter.  He is the biggest home run hitter I've literally ever seen (again, his speed is breathtaking), but, instead of dancing around, changing directions five times and losing yardage, he's not afraid to hit singles.  This guy's the real deal.  

 

Reminds me of the type of RB who would play at Oregon.  Not huge, but you're always on the edge of your seat because he can house the ball on every play.

 

I do wonder if, in an attempt to get Marquise the ball in space one-on-one, if the Zips won't try to play Marquise in the slot (ala, JoJo) instead of at RB?  Much like JoJo, no one, and I mean no one, can keep up with this guy.

 

Edit: Let me add one more thing.  Hoban's Todd Sibley is a hammer at 5'10, 205.  Marquise is only 5'10, 180.  Definitely not the physical presence Sibley is.  But I've seen Hoban play a handful of times over the past 2 years and I would take Marquise 10-times-out-of-10 if given the choice between the two.  

 

Marquise Bridges for Mr. Football. 

 

(Can you tell I was impressed :D)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, what's in the water in Akron?  We always crank out some of the best RB's the state has to offer.  How many Mr. Football RB's has the Akron area produced?

 

This year alone we have four elite, D-1 level RB's:

Marquise Bridges (Ellet)

Todd Sibley (Hoban)

Jemarulin Suggs (East)

Weston Bridges (Copley)

 

And I'm going to add one more.

 

King Sanders (Woodridge)

 

There can't be any other metro area in the country w/ that many D-1-caliber RB's.  It's insane, really.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Btw, what's in the water in Akron?  We always crank out some of the best RB's the state has to offer.  How many Mr. Football RB's has the Akron area produced?

 

This year alone we have four elite, D-1 level RB's:

Marquise Bridges (Ellet)

Todd Sibley (Hoban)

Jemarulin Suggs (East)

Weston Bridges (Copley)

 

And I'm going to add one more.

 

King Sanders (Woodridge)

 

There can't be any other metro area in the country w/ that many D-1-caliber RB's.  It's insane, really.

Over the past 12 years, Summit County has produced a ton of RB talent.

 

Off the top of my head:

Tyrell Sutton, Hoban: Northwestern, NFL (Mr. Football)

Beanie Wells, Garfield: Ohio State, NFL

Antonio Pittman, Buchtel: Ohio State, NFL

Delone Carter, Copley: Syracuse, NFL (Mr. Football)

Bryan Williams, Buchtel: Akron

Jordan Mabin, Nordonia: Northwestern, NFL rosters (Mabin played DB in college but was/still is one of the all-time leading rushers in OHSAA history)

Tyson Gulley, Garfield: Syracuse

Aregeros Turner, Copley: Northern Illinois

Vince Lockett, St. Vincent-St. Mary: Akron (Was a RB in high school)

 

Add in the five this year and that's at least 12 FBS running backs since Sutton graduated in 2004 (14 if you count Mabin and Lockett), and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

 

BTW, I've talked to a couple people who follow Summit County football way more than I do who have said Marquise Bridges is the best of the bunch this year ... even above the Pitt-bound Sibley or Michigan State-bound Bridges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Marquise Bridges hit a seem gives me the same, slightly awestruck feeling I used to get watching Jimmal Ball dunk.

 

He's that kind of athlete.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't doubt any of what you all are saying. His highlight videos are awesome. I just wonder if he is as good as he looks and all of you seem to think, why is he so under recruited?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2016 at 2:31 PM, wadszip said:

Over the past 12 years, Summit County has produced a ton of RB talent.

 

Off the top of my head:

Tyrell Sutton, Hoban: Northwestern, NFL (Mr. Football)

Beanie Wells, Garfield: Ohio State, NFL

Antonio Pittman, Buchtel: Ohio State, NFL

Delone Carter, Copley: Syracuse, NFL (Mr. Football)

Bryan Williams, Buchtel: Akron

Jordan Mabin, Nordonia: Northwestern, NFL rosters (Mabin played DB in college but was/still is one of the all-time leading rushers in OHSAA history)

Tyson Gulley, Garfield: Syracuse

Aregeros Turner, Copley: Northern Illinois

Vince Lockett, St. Vincent-St. Mary: Akron (Was a RB in high school)

 

Add in the five this year and that's at least 12 FBS running backs since Sutton graduated in 2004 (14 if you count Mabin and Lockett), and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple.

 

BTW, I've talked to a couple people who follow Summit County football way more than I do who have said Marquise Bridges is the best of the bunch this year ... even above the Pitt-bound Sibley or Michigan State-bound Bridges.

Great list, Wadzip!  I was privileged enough to see all those RBs play.

 

Beanie Wells was an absolute freak and a once-in-a-lifetime physical specimen who had the most upside.  However, due to playing on some relatively weak Garfield teams his stats weren't anything that'd blow you away, so he was never in any serious contention for Ohio Mr. Football awards, even though he was arguably the best player in the entire country. Lol.  But, on my list, he wouldn't be the best high school RB from that list.  For me, it was Tyrell Sutton.  I loved watching Tyrell run the ball.  He was smooth as silk and just glided when he ran down the field.

 

I'm excited about Marquise.  It remains to be seen what he'll do at the next level, but he's quicker and faster than any RB I've ever seen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Don't doubt any of what you all are saying. His highlight videos are awesome. I just wonder if he is as good as he looks and all of you seem to think, why is he so under recruited?

Good question, LZip.  The only thing I can think of is that he was academically ineligible as a sophomore & missed his sophomore year.  He had a really good junior year, and is having a fantastic senior year.  Maybe academic issues scared some schools off?  Maybe he really hit the radar late due to not playing as a soph?  But lots of sophomores don't see the field regardless of whether they're academically eligible or not and by the time they're seniors all the college coaches know about them.  Maybe Marquise didn't attend any summer camps?  Physically speaking he doesn't stick out - he's only 5'10", 180.  But he's not small either.  I really have no idea, but watching him play you can instantly tell he's on another level from high school kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Don't doubt any of what you all are saying. His highlight videos are awesome. I just wonder if he is as good as he looks and all of you seem to think, why is he so under recruited?

He's small, it happens. Dion Lewis only had 1 D-1 offer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, zippy5 said:

He's small, it happens. Dion Lewis only had 1 D-1 offer 

It might be that simple.  I said he is 5'10" because that's how I've seen him listed.  But he's probably more like 5'8".  He and Jemarulin Suggs are friends & would sometimes talk to each other after plays, and Jemarulin looks a good 2 inches taller than Marquise.  Jemarlulin's listed at 5'11".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LZIp said:
31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

It might be that simple.  I said he is 5'10" because that's how I've seen him listed.  But he's probably more like 5'8".  He and Jemarulin Suggs are friends & would sometimes talk to each other after plays, and Jemarulin looks a good 2 inches taller than Marquise.  Jemarlulin's listed at 5'11".

I didn't see your post when I responded. You certainly know more on the situation than me. I was just speculating 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

 

You're probably right.  He definitely doesn't stick out in the crowd.

 

Often when you attend HS football games, if there's a future D-1 player on the field they stick out like sore thumbs.  You can't tell who Marquise is till they line up on offense.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marquise had a tough game against Buchtel last night.  He finished with 133 yards but needed 33 carries to get there. 

 

It was kinda funny to watch (the difference between high school and college ball) as Buchtel didn't use a safety all night and generally had 9 guys in the box to key on Marquise.  They played Ellet's WR's 1-on-1 all night with no safety.  Ellet lined up a few times with 2 TE's & on those occasions Buchtel had all 11 in the box.  It was funny to see - they looked like goal line plays, though Ellet was at mid field.  Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2,250 rushing yards in a single season seems like a ridiculous amount. That is 250 a GAME as I am pretty sure Ellet did not make the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know whose record he broke.  My brother used to talk about lining up for Green against Ellett Orangeman Larry Csonka.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, K92 said:

Larry Csonka went to Stow.  

Csonka definitely went to Stow.  My dad used to tell me about playing against him in high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...