Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

MSU's wins are over Furman and 2-4 Notre Dame. Congrats I guess? They were blown out at home by Wisconsin and lost by 3 scores at home to BYU, who Toledo was beating until the final seconds at their place. Indiana has wins over FIU, Ball State, and 2-3 MSU. Not that impressive. WMU would certainly compete with and probably beat them this year.

Man, you're venturing into that crazy logic of Team A beat Team B who played close against Team C who lost close to Team D.   You do know that Akron won the National Championship two years ago, right?  Akron beat Piit, who beat Virginia Tech, who beat OSWho.  

All I've said is that you can't compare "Two Big 10 games" as equal when you see who MSU played, and who WMU played.  And I'm not a Michigan State fan.  

And besides, I wish early Big 10 games were indicative of performance in the games that follow, but we Lost 4 straight games after nearly (should have) taking down Michigan in 2013, and we just got our a$$es handed to us by Wisconsin and followed that with some of the best football we've played in the last decade.   

ADDED:

It's actually funny to take a glance at 2013, although this is the wrong topic.

Despite being in the middle of a 5 game losing streak (including Michigan), here was our home attendance.

Louisiana-Lafayette - 18,809

Ohio (homecoming) - 19,775

It makes me sick thinking about the 12k we had last Saturday.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

ADDED:

It's actually funny to take a glance at 2013, although this is the wrong topic.

Despite being in the middle of a 5 game losing streak (including Michigan), here was our home attendance.

Louisiana-Lafayette - 18,809

Ohio (homecoming) - 19,775

It makes me sick thinking about the 12k we had last Saturday.  

If there was a disclaimer like below, would you feel any better?:

Louisiana-Lafayette - 18,809 - Grossly inflated

Ohio (homecoming) - 19,775 - Grossly inflated

It makes me sick thinking about the 12k (- actual attendance) we had last Saturday.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It makes me sick thinking about the 12k (- actual attendance) we had last Saturday.  

Congratulations.  You're the first person in Zips D-1A history, since 1987, to claim that the "tickets sold" for the game were all utilized.   

No disclaimer necessary.  It was a pathetic Homecoming crowd, and fell way below what I though would be a reasonable expectation.  I know this is an exaggeration, but near the beginning of the game, someone sitting next to me commented that there might have been more people on the visiting side than the home side.  Maybe including our band, they may not have been far off.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

45 minutes ago, tomzip said:

Would love to see a good crowd...but I just chuckle at the thought. Joe Akron has no idea how this team has turned things around. All about buckeyes in this area unfortunately. I go to all the games (thankfully the athletic dept. gives active military free admission) and cannot believe how few people are in attendance. Where are all the people? We had more at the rubber bowl!? A large crowd could maybe amp the team up for a big game. Maybe bring back acme-zip game again...$15 for general admission may turn some folks off...not sure, just trying to think why no one shows up to a fun team to watch.

Students can get in for free and they still never fill up the student section. I'd venture to guess the time committment is a bigger deterrent than cost. People pay $10 for a movie, $80 for a Browns game, $30 for an Indians, and drive 2 hours to pay $70 for Buckeye nosebleeds.

If people felt a Zips game would entertain them for 4+ hours, they would pay the $15. If we can improve the gameday atmosphere people will come.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Here are a couple truths about the Akron-area Football Fan -

1.) He's not a "football fan." He's an Ohio State and Cleveland Browns fan. 

2.) He will show up if you give him El Cheapo tickets (See Acme-Zip games). Unfortunately, $3.00 tickets don't pay the bills.

3.) The Zips haven't won squat for 25 years. Expecting Joe Akron to flock to InfoCision to see 4-2 Akron play Western Michigan is like waiting for The Great Pumpkin. "But Western Michigan is undefeated and Top 25 ranked", you say? Refer to #1.

If you neglect a garden for 25 years, you don't expect to be eating tomatoes 1 week after you rototill it. 

The crowds are what they are. The team is rapidly improving. The butts-in-seats are gradually improving. I'm confident the team, and new administration ,will continue doing the necessary things to fill the stands. But it will take a few years of consistent, hard work to overcome 25 years of abject neglect.

I think Zips fans need to enjoy the 70% empty InfoCision and essentially zero game day traffic. There will come a time, probably in about 3-4 years, when you'll be bitching about the traffic and all the idiots surrounding you who don't know 1st Team All MAC Quarterback Kato Nelson from Kato Kaelin.

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

If it makes you sick to think about 12K for hapless Miami, you will really be sickened by the 13K crowd vs. ranked WMU.

ZippyRulz....The crowds have disappointed me for well over 30 years, going all the way back to my student days.  Most of the time, I can't tell one from the other anymore.  

If WMU is 13k, I won't be shocked.  

16 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Here are a couple truths about the Akron-area Football Fan -

1.) He's not a "football fan." He's an Ohio State and Cleveland Browns fan. 

2.) He will show up if you give him El Cheapo tickets (See Acme-Zip games). Unfortunately, $3.00 tickets don't pay the bills.

3.) The Zips haven't won squat for 25 years. Expecting Joe Akron to flock to InfoCision to see 4-2 Akron play Western Michigan is like waiting for The Great Pumpkin. "But Western Michigan is undefeated and Top 25 ranked", you say? Refer to #1.

If you neglect a garden for 25 years, you don't expect to be eating tomatoes 1 week after you rototill it. 

The crowds are what they are. The team is rapidly improving. The butts-in-seats are gradually improving. I'm confident the team, and new administration ,will continue doing the necessary things to fill the stands. But it will take a few years of consistent, hard work to overcome 25 years of abject neglect.

I think Zips fans need to enjoy the 70% empty InfoCision and essentially zero game day traffic. There will come a time, probably in about 3-4 years, when you'll be bitching about the traffic and all the idiots surrounding you who don't know 1st Team All MAC Quarterback Kato Nelson from Kato Kaelin.

Spot on.

Let's make the most of what we have, for now and beat WMU. #sinktheboat

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

One of the primary reasons why we ended the agreement with Acme.  

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble.  But, this is the best example you have if some of you still believe that we could turn any significant numbers of people into future paying fans by allowing them to come in for free.  

26 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Kato Kaelin.

First time that the former OJ "house guest" has ever been mentioned on this board?  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

They are trying to get students out for this one.

Am I the only one who's first thought is "Why don't we make this kind of effort for every home game"?

Minus the Tuition Giveaway, of course.  But, one difference is that it seems like Mr. Bowden has opened up his own pockets to add to the incentives, based on the way this is spelled out on Twitter.  We may have also spelled it out that way so that we don't offend any students who feel that all of this free stuff for a sporting even is coming out of the University's pockets.  God knows they get pissed off about spending money on sports..  

Edited by skip-zip
spelling

so from that press conference....Se'Von will be back. Probably just gave him some rest last game as we didn't need him. Jojo has been battling the shoulder issue all year (I've noticed him run off the field holding it a few times) and he is "fine". It was a vague answer, but I'm leaning towards him playing. Chapman and Woody are both "our quarterback". NIce little attempt at gamesmanship, coach. I've got a ton more confidence in Chapman after the past two games, but if Woody is healthy, he better be our QB.

Also, I just noticed our bye week is right before the last week of the season which kind of sucks with all of the injuries we are dealing with.On the bright side, It is the week before OU and that game will probably decide who goes to Detroit.

Edited by LZIp

42 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Also, I just noticed our bye week is right before the last week of the season which kind of sucks with all of the injuries we are dealing with.On the bright side, It is the week before OU and that game will probably decide who goes to Detroit.

Great point.  

And just like you, I sure hope that Woodson is the QB.  But I don't mind mixing in Chapman one some of those "wildcat" formations, like we had done at times before the Woodson injury.  He can break some long runs.  Woodson doesn't have that ability.  And this is going to especially be a game where we'll need as many big offensive plays as we can get.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Jojo has been battling the shoulder issue all year (I've noticed him run off the field holding it a few times) and he is "fine". It was a vague answer, but I'm leaning towards him playing.

That's right.  JoJo gives it 100% and puts his body on the line a handful of times a game.  So he's been banged up & gimpy & has laid on the field after some catches (a little drama going on there, I'm sure).  So I wasn't too concerned when he was laying down after Saturday's catch... at first.  It took him a lot longer to get up after Saturday's score than it had in the past.  But I'm with you, I'm thinking it's nothing too serious & he'll be flying around out there once again come Saturday.

Go Zips!! 

Edited by Blue & Gold

Predicting:

Playing:

• Woodson
  • Natson
  • Pittman

Out:

• Ball
  • Marcus
  • Hauser

I think we continue to see TC5 in various situations and Bowden is right, Woodson never breaks a 79 yard run like that.

Saturday's forecast is 72 and mostly sunny.

I am itching to see a Statue of Liberty or Hook and Ladder play with the speed we have. Time for a little trickery.

But Gt thinks, TC5 gets the start.

Edited by zipsoutsider

19 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Like usual, we can't even get our own reporter, who's been assigned to the Zips for years, to know our history.

Just about everyone associated with Akron Football knows that we played a ranked Marshall team (and won) at home in the 2002 game in which Leftwich broke his leg.  Yet, he indicates that this will be the first time that Akron has ever played a ranked team at home.  :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Like usual, we can't even get our own reporter, who's been assigned to the Zips for years, to know our history.

Just about everyone associated with Akron Football knows that we played a ranked Marshall team (and won) at home in the 2002 game in which Leftwich broke his leg.  Yet, he indicates that this will be the first time that Akron has ever played a ranked team at home.  :rolleyes:

The game notes even reference the Marshall game.

Edited by zipsoutsider

15 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

The game notes even reference the Marshall game.

Unbelievable.  Just no excuse.  That particular fact.....playing a ranked MAC team at home and beating them before.....might just possibly be the most encouraging historical story line for this week that could encourage the community to get on board.  And it's not just being ignored.  It's being referenced incorrectly.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 5:58 AM, ZippyRulz said:

I noticed that yesterday there was "No Line" on the UA - WMU game.  Today's local paper shows WMU - 11.  To me that seems fewer points than expected if Chapman were starting for Akron.  Does Vegas know something we don't?

Edited by Z.I.P.

17 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Students can get in for free and they still never fill up the student section. I'd venture to guess the time committment is a bigger deterrent than cost. People pay $10 for a movie, $80 for a Browns game, $30 for an Indians, and drive 2 hours to pay $70 for Buckeye nosebleeds.

If people felt a Zips game would entertain them for 4+ hours, they would pay the $15. If we can improve the gameday atmosphere people will come.

Except people don't want to go to ANY game for 4+ hours, Browns, Ohio State, Cavs or otherwise. I agree that the gameday atmosphere is going to make attendance better, but part of that is shortening the damn games.  4 hours is WAY TO LONG for a game that only takes 1.  This isn't 1924, people aren't looking for one thing to entertain themselves for 4 hours.  

• Like 2