Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

18 minutes ago, lance99 said:

I was a the Ticket Office this morning and they said that the Student Section is sold out. That must account for the Sections in question, so we'll see....

Is it possible to buy tickets for the student section? If you try to buy online, those sections are always grayed out. Not questioning what they said. Just seems odd that they could sell out a section they never sell tickets for. 

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

I agree, whatever a person wants to do in their own suite is fair game.  But TPS said the President's Suite that is where I have an issue.

I've been in the President's Suite many times.  I actually can't even recall the President being in there for long periods of time over the years.  And there's usually so many other people popping in and out of the room also.   My guess is that the last concern they would have is what channel a guest put on the tv on the wall.  

But now that you make me think about it, it probably would look pretty bad if our own President was wanting something else to be viewed on the TV other than our own game.  

21 minutes ago, akzipper said:

Is it possible to buy tickets for the student section? If you try to buy online, those sections are always grayed out. Not questioning what they said. Just seems odd that they could sell out a section they never sell tickets for. 

To answer your question no.  It would likely be lumped in with general admission.

If you go to the official ticketmaster website for the game, you can see that there are actually about 10 sections sold out all in the west stands.  There are about 7 sections that are half sold and 2 that are 3 quarter sold.  So the west is about 2500 short of a sellout.  So the question is how many students and general admission get sold.

Zips can make a statement with this game.  This is the record of teams we've played thus far this year:

Wins:  (6-15) (FBS  3-13)

VMI  (FCS 3-2)

Kent 2-4

Miami  0-5

Marshall 1-4

Losses:  (8-3 combined)

#8 Wisconsin  4-1

App. State 4-2

Zips have got to prove they can beat good teams.

2 hours ago, akzipper said:

The student section isn't sold out. Some of the General Admission sections are considered sold out, because of the number of overall General Admission tickets distributed. Creative marketing ploy to create urgency. Students can sit in General Admission if they bring guests; however, only students can sit in the student sections. Students still only need to show up and get their ZipCards swiped for free entry.

7 minutes ago, AK-Rowdy4Life said:

The student section isn't sold out. Some of the General Admission sections are considered sold out, because of the number of overall General Admission tickets distributed. Creative marketing ploy to create urgency. Students can sit in General Admission if they bring guests; however, only students can sit in the student sections. Students still only need to show up and get their ZipCards swiped for free entry.

That what I was thinking. When I was told that this morning, I was puzzled when it was stated.

ABJ game day story

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-no-23-western-michigan-provides-biggest-test-yet-for-zips-1.719193

This worries me:

The Broncos rank first or second in the MAC in numerous offensive and defensive categories, including scoring offense (first), rushing offense (second courtesy of the work of running backs Jamauri Bogan, who averages 5.9 yards per carry, but did not play last week and Jarvion Franklin, who has 514 yards on 102 carries).

Make a few big plays defensively at the right time, and we'll win.  I'm looking for 5 stopped WMU drives.  All it takes is a knocked down pass on 3rd down, a key sack, a stuff on a running play, a timely penalty, etc.  

Our offense can take care of the rest.  That's all the help we'll need from the defense.  

Jerome Lane need to impact the game. I hope his 2 week vacation is over, and he gets back to dominating. The public will be talking about one WR after the game. We need Jerome to steal the spotlight from Corey Davis with a monster day. 

JoJo and his big bad shoulder will come to play, I know that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Jerome Lane need to impact the game. I hope his 2 week vacation is over, and he gets back to dominating. The public will be talking about one WR after the game. We need Jerome to steal the spotlight from Corey Davis with a monster day. 

JoJo and his big bad shoulder will come to play, I know that.

Frankly, I don't care who catches the ball.  Chapman and Lane were certainly not on the same page.  And Bowden says that we're going to be attacking the DB who's in single coverage.  If Lane is that guy tomorrow, then he needs to make some plays.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balsy said:

Wow!  What a game!  THAT's the kind of history the Zips need to replay for fans periodically.  My perception in college was that Akron had always sucked, because they never relived those kind of moments.

It seems that they are trying to build something, and it goes with the team winning.  They're slowly working on things.  Multiple weekly videos, throwback videos, throwback helmets, dedications...we may all complain about the culture not changing fast enough, but it does seem that there is an effort to do so.

Balsey I couldn't agree more. The culture is changing. Not fast enough for me, but it is changing. Sometimes we are so close to the situation that we can't see it and we, me included, get very frustrated. But change is coming and we have to stick with it, support Zip sports and hold people accountable. We are going to get there. We have good people guiding us. But for now let's beat Western. What a beautiful thing to happen. 

Go Zips. 

58 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Balsey I couldn't agree more. The culture is changing. Not fast enough for me, but it is changing. Sometimes we are so close to the situation that we can't see it and we, me included, get very frustrated. But change is coming and we have to stick with it, support Zip sports and hold people accountable. We are going to get there. We have good people guiding us. But for now let's beat Western. What a beautiful thing to happen. 

Go Zips. 

For now?  What you might not realize is that these two things are interrelated.  We have to win games like this IN ORDER FOR the culture to change.  

We won't get the opportunity to play a ranked team at home very often.  It could very well be another 14 years before a MAC team is ranked, and just happens to have a road game at Akron the following week.  It may not Shock The World.  But, until the day comes when we can knock off one of the big boys on the road, this is going to be as good of an opportunity to raise some national eyebrows as we're ever gonna get.  If it doesn't happen, the people of Akron (and many of our students) will just go back to regarding us as an insignificant team in an insignificant conference.  

This team needs to be at its best tomorrow.  And we need to do whatever we can as fans to help them.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ game day story

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-no-23-western-michigan-provides-biggest-test-yet-for-zips-1.719193

This worries me:

The Broncos rank first or second in the MAC in numerous offensive and defensive categories, including scoring offense (first), rushing offense (second courtesy of the work of running backs Jamauri Bogan, who averages 5.9 yards per carry, but did not play last week and Jarvion Franklin, who has 514 yards on 102 carries).

Thought I read on Mon or Tue that Bogan wouldn't play this week.  Is that changed or not?

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Frankly, I don't care who catches the ball.  Chapman and Lane were certainly not on the same page.  And Bowden says that we're going to be attacking the DB who's in single coverage.  If Lane is that guy tomorrow, then he needs to make some plays.  

I find it odd that teams will zero in on Lane, like they do, ant the expense of Jojo scoring on them all day, or Austin Wolf. Honestly, we have add incredible productivity from all three guys, and we can go deeper onto the roster before we suffer too much. I would expect WMU to focus on Lane, again, and leave Jojo to tear it up all day long. I hlpe we are able to see Tommy connect with Lane on those few 1/1 coverage situations. We really need to get him up and running, again. I don't like to see an emotional player like Lane become disengaged.

9 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I find it odd that teams will zero in on Lane, like they do, ant the expense of Jojo scoring on them all day, or Austin Wolf. Honestly, we have add incredible productivity from all three guys, and we can go deeper onto the roster before we suffer too much. I would expect WMU to focus on Lane, again, and leave Jojo to tear it up all day long. I hlpe we are able to see Tommy connect with Lane on those few 1/1 coverage situations. We really need to get him up and running, again. I don't like to see an emotional player like Lane become disengaged.

From what I see, JoJo attracts Safety help alot, surely because of his speed.  Lane probably gets doubled to beat him up a bit because of his size.  If not, he'd overpower just about any corner in our league.   This may explain why Wolf has gotten more touches this year than I expected. You simply can't have two guys watching all 3 of them.  I actually can't remember a time when we had 3 really good receivers like this at the same time.  And I hope they come up big today.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

10 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I hlpe we are able to see Tommy connect with Lane on those few 1/1 coverage situations. We really need to get him up and running, again. I don't like to see an emotional player like Lane become disengaged.

+1.  It pains me to see.  This is one of the reasons I feel we definitely need Tommy to play in order to win today.

Tra'Von's turned into a great backup QB, but he's not going to be WMU.

12 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

They do.  IIRC (I saw the uni's on display at The Info @ last night's Ellet -v- Buchtel game) they're going with blue face masks.  White face masks would look sweet.

I saw the unis at Info this AM - white facemasks.

I still have my doubts as to whether we will see Woodson today. We cannot afford turnovers and if his shoulder injury is affecting his throwing accuracy, I think TB holds him out. Hopefully another week of practice with the 1's helps TC5 continue to progress. He threw a couple passes last week that were dangerous, but he also threw a couple of incredible passes. He just makes me nervous.

Even if TW4's good to go, think we might start TC5 anyway?  See how he does?  Even if TW4's ready to go, he's gonna be a little rusty & TC5's played so well lately maybe he deserves to start?

Just trying to get a little conversation going to pass the time till kick off.  Can't wait!!!!!!  :rock:

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1