Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

Them, there are these, lol

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 1

Take with a grain of salt, coaches are not obligated to report anything, but....

10/12/16 Thomas Woodson Shoulder is upgraded to probable vs. WMU

10/12/16 Tra'Von Chapman None expected to start vs. WMU

10/10/16 Jojo Natson Shoulder injured last game, "?" vs. WMU

10/10/16 Se'Von Pittman Undisclosed "?" vs. WMU

10/09/16 Warren BallUndisclosed"?" vs. WMU

10/05/16 Jamal Marcus Undisclosed (I'm pretty sure this is a shoulder) out for season

I watched part of the App St game last night, and the halftime show previewed the top-25 games for this week. When it came to our game, the thing they highlighted most was our 0-23 record against ranked opponents. This obviously neglects our win over Marshall at the Rubber Bowl. Anyone think they got this misinformation from our own local media?

25 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I watched part of the App St game last night, and the halftime show previewed the top-25 games for this week. When it came to our game, the thing they highlighted most was our 0-23 record against ranked opponents. This obviously neglects our win over Marshall at the Rubber Bowl. Anyone think they got this misinformation from our own local media?

GT w/ 2 strikes in one paragraph:

When the Zips and Broncos kickoff their Mid-American Conference battle Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at InfoCision Stadium, UA will face a team that is ranked for the first time in its school history at No. 23 in the USA Today Amway Coaches Poll and No. 24 in the AP poll. It is the first time UA will play a ranked team at home.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-tra-von-chapman-likely-to-make-third-consecutive-start-at-quarterback-1.718497

28 minutes ago, UAZipster0305 said:

I watched part of the App St game last night, and the halftime show previewed the top-25 games for this week. When it came to our game, the thing they highlighted most was our 0-23 record against ranked opponents. This obviously neglects our win over Marshall at the Rubber Bowl. Anyone think they got this misinformation from our own self-loathing local media?

^^FIFY

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

When the Zips and Broncos kickoff their Mid-American Conference battle Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at InfoCision Stadium, UA will face a team that is ranked for the first time in its school history at No. 23 in the USA Today Amway Coaches Poll and No. 24 in the AP poll. It is the first time UA will play a ranked team at home.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-tra-von-chapman-likely-to-make-third-consecutive-start-at-quarterback-1.718497

Unless the game notes released by UA are incorrect, there's no excuse for this. Why bother writing anything if it's gonna be wrong?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Take with a grain of salt, coaches are not obligated to report anything, but....

10/12/16 Thomas Woodson Shoulder is upgraded to probable vs. WMU

10/12/16 Tra'Von Chapman None expected to start vs. WMU

10/10/16 Jojo Natson Shoulder injured last game, "?" vs. WMU

10/10/16 Se'Von Pittman Undisclosed "?" vs. WMU

10/09/16 Warren BallUndisclosed"?" vs. WMU

10/05/16 Jamal Marcus Undisclosed (I'm pretty sure this is a shoulder) out for season

gump3.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I know.  I commented on this earlier.  What a joke.  We should expect FAR MORE from our local paper, and the reporter who's been covering us for a long time and makes a living from journalism.  

17 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I have noticed several articles saying something to the effect that WMU plays Akron as a ranked team for the first time. I am wondering if GT misunderstood those other articles or if he really just got it that wrong? Either way, lazy journalism.

Right, I was confused about that one part too.

But, the "playing a ranked team at home for the first time" is just dead wrong.  Anyone at least 30 years old, even if they just have a light connection to Zips Football, is familiar with the "Leftwich Broken Leg Game" when we beat a ranked Marshall team at the Rubber Bowl.  

This isn't a casual Zips fans we are talking about here.  It's our longtime designated writer for our major hometown paper.  No excuse.  

Also....I thought that if the press helped us out a bit, and stated that we PLAYED and BEAT the last ranked team we played here in Akron, if could help publicize this WMU game.  So, they totally dropped the ball there.  Thank You ABJ !!

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

I clearly remember Akron hosting #10 Virginia Tech back when I was still a student and the Leftwich leg game where Marshall was #20 so this clearly is not the first time the Zips will don the home unis against a top 25 ranked team. I think it may be the first time a ranked team has come to Infocision though.

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Straight from the game notes:

large.Ranked.png

I'd like to be upset at the BJ for being incorrect (maybe they just mean at Infocision) but I think our own Sports Information Dept. is also wrong. They are missing our game at OSU in 2011 where they were ranked #18 in the preseason poll. I think this also helps point out the big disparity in almost always having to play away games against ranked opponents. The only two we ever got at home were a victory and very close loss. So I'm going with another close loss. WMU 45-38. 

Edited by MDZip

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm going to guess the Indians 4:08PM game is going to discourage a lot of students and fans from going.

probably so... the man bun crowd might reject the beauty of the sun and high temperatures at the Info for a dorm room and a TV or phone.       

Edited by UA1987

4 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Straight from the game notes:

large.Ranked.png

2 things about this...

1) We play OSUcks tough, relatively speaking.

2) That Michigan game in 2013 should have been a win.

On another note, the Indians game is most definitely going to affect attendance, but I don't blame people for wanting to watch the Indians. I'm not sure what restrictions the University has when it comes to viewing rights, but if they are smart, they're going to be giving Indians updates throughout the game, and even show the game on some of their smaller TVs around the concourses. Again, not sure what restrictions they have, but that would be very wise. The Most Overrated Band In The Land gave the Tribe a tribute at halftime last week. The least we can do is show the game at the stadium, if possible.