Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

11 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I have noticed several articles saying something to the effect that WMU plays Akron as a ranked team for the first time. I am wondering if GT misunderstood those other articles or if he really just got it that wrong? Either way, lazy journalism.

There was a release that said Akron has never defeated a ranked team at home at Infocision Stadium.  Perhaps the author in question forgot about that other place?  Da, uh, Rubbah Bow.

51 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

There was a release that said Akron has never defeated a ranked team at home at Infocision Stadium.  Perhaps the author in question forgot about that other place?  Da, uh, Rubbah Bow.

If you're talking about a University release, then actually we've never even PLAYED a ranked team at Infocision. 

If you're talking about the ABJ, it said we had never PLAYED a ranked team at HOME...period.  No mention of Infocision.  

So, they missed both the opportunity to be factually correct about the Marshall game, AND more importantly they missed the chance to say that we BEAT that ranked team.

Edited by skip-zip
edit

1 hour ago, lilroodude said:

I'm not sure what restrictions the University has when it comes to viewing rights, but if they are smart, they're going to be giving Indians updates throughout the game, and even show the game on some of their smaller TVs around the concourses.

I'd think about that again.  They'd be SMART if they were showing the Indians game?  Why?  So that people can stand in front of TV sets in the concourse instead of being in the stands supporting the Zips in our most important game in the last decade?  Sorry, but that would be a horrible idea.   And unless someone is really stupid, that won't happen.  

I expect maybe a few scoring updates.  But everyone is capable of checking that on their own phones anyway, so that's probably not necessary.  

• Like 1

Wow!  What a game!  THAT's the kind of history the Zips need to replay for fans periodically.  My perception in college was that Akron had always sucked, because they never relived those kind of moments.

It seems that they are trying to build something, and it goes with the team winning.  They're slowly working on things.  Multiple weekly videos, throwback videos, throwback helmets, dedications...we may all complain about the culture not changing fast enough, but it does seem that there is an effort to do so.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Wow!  What a game!  THAT's the kind of history the Zips need to replay for fans periodically.  My perception in college was that Akron had always sucked, because they never relived those kind of moments.

I've really started to feel strongly about this myself.  I posted about it when I found out about the honoring of the 1976 team.  I really think that fans, especially the younger ones, can develop a much stronger connection to the program (or progrum) when they see some of the great moments of our history.

I have to admit, when I am at the games, and I see those short video clips of the MAC title game, the 2004 Marshall comeback, etc., on the video board, I get a great and proud feeling inside. Even now, when I've already seen them for the 100th time.  

Which remind me, I'd love to see them show Alcorn's 56 yard field goal to beat Toledo in the AcmeZip game in 1992.  French's call of that is one of the best ever.  I think he actually won some awards for that. 

And this weekend in particular, they BETTER show that final play punt return at WMU that won the game a few years ago.  

24 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And this weekend in particular, they BETTER show that final play punt return at WMU that won the game a few years ago.  

That is DEFINITELY happening.  Hell, they may even play it twice!  :lol: 

See, there you go Skip, bringing up another game I've never heard of with an exciting ending.  When we play Toledo later in the year show that, AND the awesome win against Toledo in 2013.

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'd think about that again.  They'd be SMART if they were showing the Indians game?  Why?  So that people can stand in front of TV sets in the concourse instead of being in the stands supporting the Zips in our most important game in the last decade?  Sorry, but that would be a horrible idea.   And unless someone is really stupid, that won't happen.  

I expect maybe a few scoring updates.  But everyone is capable of checking that on their own phones anyway, so that's probably not necessary.  

Yes, to me it would be SMART, because it's another way to engage with the fans/NEO. During the Cavaliers' playoff run, the Indians showed the Cavs games on their bar TVs in the RF district and behind home plate. Now, to your point, lots of fans were watching the Cavs game, but at least they were at the game. And I'm not saying show the game on the big screen. Just on some of the TVs in the concourse by the concession stands.

Part of the draw to the Suckeyes for fans, is the unity, the "All In" feeling between the Suckeyes/Cavs/Browns/Indians. Akron is WAY closer to Cleveland than Ohio State, and has more of a connection with the Rubberducks/LeBron. They need to try and jump on "All In" bandwagon to help grab support for the University. 

Edited by lilroodude

The multi-lateral return for the 2 points is probably the most excited I've ever been at a game.  After that play I remember being light-headed from shouting so much.  I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to pass out! Lol.

I forget, why did Willie Spencer not finish that game?

I loved Willie Spencer!  One of my favorite Zips!  I got to see him play in high school a couple times.  Always love the local guys.

Edited by Blue & Gold

And I went crazy on that last TD.  I felt so proud of the team.  We weren't going to win the game, but that TD made the score much closer than anyone ever thought the game would be.  You could tell VT couldn't believe it either.

VT had perhaps the most hyped DE in the country that year (don't recall his name).  But it was Jason Taylor who was all over the place that night.

Edited by Blue & Gold

12 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Really? We want to complain about possibly showing playoff Indians highlights? I've been in the President's box where everyone was huddled around the OSU game on all the tv's. Let's not pretend that everyone at the game are all diehard Zips fans. Let's make a better game day for the casual Zips fan. Many casual Zips fans are Cleveland fans so let's show them some love. When they're at the water cooler on Monday talking about the Indians game they can say they were at the Zips game and were still able to watch some highlights.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tpsjugglerdude said:

Really? We want to complain about possibly showing playoff Indians highlights? I've been in the President's box where everyone was huddled around the OSU game on all the tv's. Let's not pretend that everyone at the game are all diehard Zips fans. Let's make a better game day for the casual Zips fan. Many casual Zips fans are Cleveland fans so let's show them some love. When they're at the water cooler on Monday talking about the Indians game they can say they were at the Zips game and were still able to watch some highlights.

First which president was that and how many people were in the room and did they pay to be there?  Because there are some legality issues there along with some just poor character choices, because that is amateurish as all get out.  Do you think Ohio State airs the Alabama game in the president's box?

Second, they can watch Indians highlights on their phones, this isn't 1995.  Throwing the score up is enough, the only thing that should be on our screens are our highlights and stats, and occasionally scores from other games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

First which president was that and how many people were in the room and did they pay to be there?  Because there are some legality issues there along with some just poor character choices, because that is amateurish as all get out.  Do you think Ohio State airs the Alabama game in the president's box?

Second, they can watch Indians highlights on their phones, this isn't 1995.  Throwing the score up is enough, the only thing that should be on our screens are our highlights and stats, and occasionally scores from other games.

What are the legality issues? I mean I've been in Browns suites where the Indians game has been on as well as other games.

Edited by LZIp

32 minutes ago, LZIp said:

What are the legality issues? I mean I've been in Browns suites where the Indians game has been on as well as other games.

It is standard copyright law.  It likely falls into the sports bar category, but people are paying large amounts of money to be in that suite.  

49 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

Exactly.  Drawing people from the stands into the concourse would be really, really stupid.   It won't happen.  

It's going to be great weather, a great atmosphere, and a historic game for us.  Why is anyone even assuming that people want to be at a Zips game, but be watching an Indians game anyway?  If the Indians game is their preference, they probably wouldn't be there. 

And in regards to the Suites:  I've been in them many times.  Those are paid for by the companies.  If they want to use their TVs to watch something else, that's entirely their choice.  In fact, I was in a Suite last year when Michigan State beat the Suckeyes, and everyone was celebrating and jumping up and down.  But that's what everyone wanted to do.  The Buffalo game was WELL out of hand by that point.  

And just in case nobody has ever noticed, the majority of those people who go to the Suites are not active participants in the game anyway.

Let me add something else:

If you are this University, and you are dying to get more support for our Zips...even to the extent that the coach is opening up his own pockets to attract supporters.  Are you going to put up any other sporting event on any TV in the stadium? 

Edited by skip-zip
edit

2 hours ago, lilroodude said:

Yes, to me it would be SMART, because it's another way to engage with the fans/NEO. During the Cavaliers' playoff run, the Indians showed the Cavs games on their bar TVs in the RF district and behind home plate. Now, to your point, lots of fans were watching the Cavs game, but at least they were at the game. And I'm not saying show the game on the big screen. Just on some of the TVs in the concourse by the concession stands.

Part of the draw to the Suckeyes for fans, is the unity, the "All In" feeling between the Suckeyes/Cavs/Browns/Indians. Akron is WAY closer to Cleveland than Ohio State, and has more of a connection with the Rubberducks/LeBron. They need to try and jump on "All In" bandwagon to help grab support for the University. 

I think we tried that once. #TeamOhio :puke:

Seriously though, I have no problem with Indians/Cavs/Browns highlights or access at the Info. Anything that can be done to make UA games unifying events for the community should be done....except #TeamOhio...that was desparate and pathetic.

Highlights celebrating UA football and athletics tradition, history, and success should be copiously provided as well.

34 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

And in regards to the Suites:  I've been in them many times.  Those are paid for by the companies.  If they want to use their TVs to watch something else, that's entirely their choice.  In fact, I was in a Suite last year when Michigan State beat the Suckeyes, and everyone was celebrating and jumping up and down.  But that's what everyone wanted to do.  The Buffalo game was WELL out of hand by that point.  

I agree, whatever a person wants to do in their own suite is fair game.  But TPS said the President's Suite that is where I have an issue.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:54 PM, akzipper said:

Well I think there are a total of 42 seating sections at InfoCision. That's not including those club boxes. Maybe they sold out 5 of them? lol

Either way 5-6 sections full seems normal.

I was a the Ticket Office this morning and they said that the Student Section is sold out. That must account for the Sections in question, so we'll see....

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

The multi-lateral return for the 2 points is probably the most excited I've ever been at a game.  After that play I remember being light-headed from shouting so much.  I had to sit down because I felt like I was going to pass out! Lol.

I forget, why did Willie Spencer not finish that game?

I loved Willie Spencer!  One of my favorite Zips!  I got to see him play in high school a couple times.  Always love the local guys.

By my recollection, Willie (always liked the mural in downtown Massillon that shows him at QB for the Tigers) didn't finish the game because he was something like 1-10 for 8 yards and a couple of ints while he was QB.  Don't quote me on the numbers of course, but the O didn't move the ball at all when he was in the game.  Mike Junko actually played one of his better games that day (14 of 26, 156 yards, 1 TD, 1 int).

The Hokie DE who came into the game with all the hype was Cornell Brown.  Below is a mildly humorous link to a Hokie's take on the near upset.

http://archive.techsideline.com/football/1996/games/akron.htm

My main memory of that game is how bad the Zip D made Va Tech QB Druckenmiller look.

• Like 2