Game 7—Western Michigan Broncos (2016)

skip-zip

This may trigger some early interest.  It might even get buried for awhile.  But, I can't help but to start thinking about this game today.  

If some of you haven't noticed, Western is 3-0 with 2 WINS against the Big 10, and we get them at HOME, which will happen right after what hopefully will be two conference "warm up" games against Kent and Miami.  

As an early look, what might it mean to us to knock off a potential favorite to be the West champ in Akron, and be 3-0 in the conference race at that point.  And would it be enough to generate some additional interest in Akron?  I have my doubts about whether it would be significant enough, but at least a run at a good season would happen sooner than it did last year, and give it a chance to secure some additional local interest.  

20 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

WMU and Toledo got 6 votes in the Week 4 AP Poll. CMU got 16 ! :eek:

I'm glad they aren't on our schedule this year.  The crossover games against Toledo and WMU will be challenging enough...but BOTH are at HOME.  

But, I sure wouldn't mind if we are lucky enough to play CMU on Dec. 2nd in Detroit :rock:

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Well, yeah, good, but, I wonder if even 25% of U.S. households have CBS Sports channel.

I don't have any hard numbers, but I do know it was part of my standard package when I had TWC. I'm willing to say it is available in well over 25% of households, however, I'm not sure if >25% households realize they have that channel in the 1st place.

10 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I don't have any hard numbers, but I do know it was part of my standard package when I had TWC. I'm willing to say it is available in well over 25% of households, however, I'm not sure if >25% households realize they have that channel in the 1st place.

Over the past few years I've had CBS Sports with TWC, Dish and now with DirecTV. All three were pretty standard packages if I remember correctly. I think you're correct in assuming most people have the channel but haven't realized it yet...

It's not a bad channel, just doesn't have the app/streaming capabilities that ESPN has.

Edited by akzipper

14 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

No, it's not part of the TWC standard package.  

Perhaps I was grandfathered in on my plan then. i certainly didn't pay for anything extra besides a box.

I found some hard numbers it appears it is available in 60 million households. For reference ESPN is available in 90 millions so it is available in 2/3 of all houses that ESPN is.

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/numbers/

I have Directv's Choice package (#3 of 6 packages) which gets me FSOhio, STOhio, BTN, NFL Network, FS1, all the ESPN's etc.  It does not come with CBS Sports.  The next package does which is about $7 more a month so not a ton but there typically have not been enough games there to make me want to upgrade.

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Perhaps I was grandfathered in on my plan then. i certainly didn't pay for anything extra besides a box.

Hey Kreed, help me out.  What Channel are you getting it on?  I have only the Standard Package in one of my houses.  It has 70 Channels, and one of them is not CBS Sports.  I even checked the internet channel guide to be sure.  http://www.aol.com/video/guide/tv/

9 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Hey Kreed, help me out.  What Channel are you getting it on?  I have only the Standard Package in one of my houses.  It has 70 Channels, and one of them is not CBS Sports.  I even checked the internet channel guide to be sure.  http://www.aol.com/video/guide/tv/

I cut my cable in January so I have no stations now. I was tired of my cable bill going up a couple bucks every 2-3 months. Not disputing that it isn't part of the standard package now or maybe it never was. I just know I had it at one point and wasn't charged anything additional for it. Perhaps I got it as a promotional item when I signed up 4-5 years ago or perhaps I was grandfathered into a plan. I'm not entirely sure.

33 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I cut my cable in January so I have no stations now. I was tired of my cable bill going up a couple bucks every 2-3 months. Not disputing that it isn't part of the standard package now or maybe it never was. I just know I had it at one point and wasn't charged anything additional for it. Perhaps I got it as a promotional item when I signed up 4-5 years ago or perhaps I was grandfathered into a plan. I'm not entirely sure.

Thanks for the reply.  If you had some way of getting that channel, I just wanted to know how.  

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

I have Directv's Choice package (#3 of 6 packages) which gets me FSOhio, STOhio, BTN, NFL Network, FS1, all the ESPN's etc.  It does not come with CBS Sports.  The next package does which is about $7 more a month so not a ton but there typically have not been enough games there to make me want to upgrade.

Strange. I have the Choice package as well, but CBS Sports is included. When I first signed up for DirecTV last year I didn't get it, but it seems like they added it (along with FS2 and SEC Network) and some other channels this fall. Might have something to do with my location (live in PA)?

Well,

I have a Mod request: Can the name of the Thread be changed to reflect Westerns ranking(AP and/or Coaches, respectively) in the Title?

BTY, this game scares me to death.......

Edited by lance99

1 minute ago, ZippyRulz said:

I have a gut feeling Woody and Ball won't be back but will instead be saved for the more winnable games remaining on the schedule.

I would hope that isn't the case. Loser's mentality. If you want to consider yourself a contender in the MAC, you shouldn't be afraid to compete with anybody.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

I have a gut feeling Woody and Ball won't be back but will instead be saved for the more winnable games remaining on the schedule.

This is just ridiculous.  Sitting guys out against MAC TEAMS? So that they might be healthier for other MAC games?  Come on.  If Alabama is beating us 40-0 at halftime, then you think about sitting guys for more important games.  Under no other circumstances.  

Unless we're talking about some of our worst years, every MAC team is beatable for us.  And we're AT LEAST a better than average MAC team right now.  So, there's no reason to cop out.  You bring everything you've got to a game like this.  

34 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I would hope that isn't the case. Loser's mentality. If you want to consider yourself a contender in the MAC, you shouldn't be afraid to compete with anybody.

We're not a contender just yet, except for the MAC East. Why risk a MACC game appearance for the sake of being able to say we kept it close against the boat-rowers?