A Short Note on ZipsNation

Captain Kangaroo

To all ZipsNation members -

I want to put in writing the following -

This site was created to allow Zips fans an venue to discuss the various athletic programs. There's no other reason. Rather than sit around with our thumbs up our butts waiting for media coverage, a few of us banded together and did something about it. 

It would be very easy to drop out and move to a back page of the MACbbs board like K.e.n.t. But I think that would be embarrassing. We created something nice here, with high functionality and a higher standard for content. When opposing fans visit our site, I want them to be impressed and think we are legit.

I pay to maintain ZipsNation. Happily. I deal with all the a-hole opposing fans attempting to post, and a bunch of stuff that's invisible to the general public too. I'll sit in a dark Subway parking lot at 10 pm, after a 14 hour work day, talking to some Marshall Podcasters/bloggers to help promote the Zips and ZipsNation. Whatever it takes.

Dr. Z has done yeoman's work to ensure to make it look sharp, and install upgrades. He also gives us great pics, which you don't get on other MAC boards.

This site has to be about Zips athletics, and fun. It can't exist to cyber-bully other fans. I do not want good people to avoid posting for fear someone will threaten, or just be downright disrespectful to them. 

Can you tweak someone's nose? Yes. Can you have a passionate debate? Yes. Can you say "The AD sucks!" Yes. But when it gets to the level of "Meet me behind the church after school..." or "Suck <insert something lame>",  that's not acceptable. It can't be.

One of our posters was a bit out of line the other day, and penned an apology. It takes a man to do that. It isn't easy. It's 100% accepted, and we move onward.

I've got around 10,000 posts here. I'm pretty happy with most of them. A couple... I wish I hadn't posted. And I've had to apologize. It happens. 

I hope K'92 returns to posting. The backbone of this board is the guy that travels to Wisconsin and posts a trip recap complete with a humungous soft pretzel pic. I wish we had 100 more of him.

Times are great for Zips football. We've won 7-of-8 games, with the lone loss coming at Wisconsin. Compare that to the Brookhart recruits on Bowden's first team - they won 6 games in their entire 4-year careers!

This weekend should be a blast. Great weather and a great home opponent. And I look forward to seeing what that guy under the scoreboard has cooking in his smoker.

• Like 11

While my handle is "Akron4ever" I have only been a fan since 2014 due to a personal connection to the program. I had no plans on being an Akron football fan (especially after my personal connection to the program ends), as I am a Georgia Tech graduate and die-hard supporter of their sports, and never entertained the idea for rooting for another team.

Akron and ZipsNation has given me another team to root for and follow, and I plan on being a supporter long after this season. The first year I truly started following the program was last year, and this board is a great resource for someone like me who loves college football and whose previous exposure to the Zips is literally nothing.

I know this really has nothing to do with the post above, but I think you all will appreciate that this board is a huge reason why Akron football will have a supporter down South for years to come.

Go Zips!

• Like 2

Captain Kangaroo thanks for all you do. I've ventured to some "bigger name" opponent forums time to time and they look like websites I visited in the late 90s early 2000s. This website really is top notch.

As for everything else, Akron needs to keep growing its fan base if we want it to ever reach our potential. Pushing fans away is the last thing we need. I know that since I've became an active poster, I've watched and attended more Akron sporting events. I'm young and am still paying off debt/getting my finances in order, but I intend to one day after working my way up the corporate ladder some be a premium seat STH and give more to the University. I wouldn't be nearly as involved with Zips athletics if I didn't have you fine folks to discuss it with.

Edited by kreed5120

38 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

To all ZipsNation members -

I want to put in writing the following -

This site was created to allow Zips fans an venue to discuss the various athletic programs. There's no other reason. Rather than sit around with our thumbs up our butts waiting for media coverage, a few of us banded together and did something about it. 

It would be very easy to drop out and move to a back page of the MACbbs board like K.e.n.t. But I think that would be embarrassing. We created something nice here, with high functionality and a higher standard for content. When opposing fans visit our site, I want them to be impressed and think we are legit.

I pay to maintain ZipsNation. Happily. I deal with all the a-hole opposing fans attempting to post, and a bunch of stuff that's invisible to the general public too. I'll sit in a dark Subway parking lot at 10 pm, after a 14 hour work day, talking to some Marshall Podcasters/bloggers to help promote the Zips and ZipsNation. Whatever it takes.

Dr. Z has done yeoman's work to ensure to make it look sharp, and install upgrades. He also gives us great pics, which you don't get on other MAC boards.

This site has to be about Zips athletics, and fun. It can't exist to cyber-bully other fans. I do not want good people to avoid posting for fear someone will threaten, or just be downright disrespectful to them. 

Can you tweak someone's nose? Yes. Can you have a passionate debate? Yes. Can you say "The AD sucks!" Yes. But when it gets to the level of "Meet me behind the church after school..." or "Suck <insert something lame>",  that's not acceptable. It can't be.

One of our posters was a bit out of line the other day, and penned an apology. It takes a man to do that. It isn't easy. It's 100% accepted, and we move onward.

I've got around 10,000 posts here. I'm pretty happy with most of them. A couple... I wish I hadn't posted. And I've had to apologize. It happens. 

I hope K'92 returns to posting. The backbone of this board is the guy that travels to Wisconsin and posts a trip recap complete with a humungous soft pretzel pic. I wish we had 100 more of him.

Times are great for Zips football. We've won 7-of-8 games, with the lone loss coming at Wisconsin. Compare that to the Brookhart recruits on Bowden's first team - they won 6 games in their entire 4-year careers!

This weekend should be a blast. Great weather and a great home opponent. And I look forward to seeing what that guy under the scoreboard has cooking in his smoker.

:bow::bow::bow:

Capt - thanks for this post. And thank you and all the owners and moderators for the work you do.  I'm a big lurker and I read nearly everything that gets written on this board. I enjoy K92 and was not overly offended by his posts, but I appreciate his apology and do hope he continues posting here.

As you can see I don't post much despite being active on this board for nearly a decade. I had to speak up when a certain poster crossed what I thought was a line. We've all supported Akron through some pretty dark days, and we know that getting whupped by Wisky is something we just have to get through. I'd rather try to stomach that loss without a fellow Zips fan sayin that I eat from Terry's butt or slob his knob.  That was a truly smh moment. 

But... I've seen plenty of posters call out that nonsense and rally together.  So thanks again to all the great fans and posters on this site.  Go Zips and I'll quaff a stein with any of you. 

• Like 2