Game 5—@Kent State Golden Flashes

MDZip

35 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I apologize in advance for bringing this up already and we can let it hibernate until after Saturday but I didn't want to let this one pass. Who would ever have thought you'd see a headline like this "The time Nick Saban didn't get his dream job at Kent State". We can pile on next week. :)

Another famous NE Ohio sports screw up.  It has to be right up there with the Browns thinking Belichick was a bad coach.  :lol:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Saban would fail at Kent like he did with the Dolphins without superior talent. 

No, I think it's just the stark difference between the NFL and College.  He's a master at identifying young talent, recruiting them, maximizing their ability, and plugging them into the holes left from the mass exit the year before, and keeping his team at the top.  I can't even remember anymore the last season that they did not enter the Playoff/BCS Title Game as the #1 Seed (I think 2013 might be the only one out of the last 7 or 8?).  And they've done it in a league where you're going to be strongly challenged maybe 8-10 times per season.  That's unbelievable.   

Edited by skip-zip
edit

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Another famous NE Ohio sports screw up.  It has to be right up there with the Browns thinking Belichick was a bad coach.  :lol:

Might want to check your facts on that one. The Ravens have also been one of the best franchises in football since the move and have won multiple Super Bowls. I doubt they're too disappointed in it.

Edited by LZIp

19 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Might want to check your facts on that one. The Ravens have also been one of the best franchises in football since the move and have won multiple Super Bowls. I doubt they're too disappointed in it.

The only fact here is that I can assure you with 100% certainty that every team in the NFL would trade what they've done over the last decade or so to have New England's success. 

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

The GOAT NEO coaching blunder would be Modell firing Paul Brown. Belichick wasn't a Cleveland coaching blunder as the team was already out the door.

It might be hard making that argument, at least in terms of comparing it to the Belichick situation, when you look at Brown's .495 win percentage at his next stop in Cincinnati.  

35 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

It might be hard making that argument, at least in terms of comparing it to the Belichick situation, when you look at Brown's .495 win percentage at his next stop in Cincinnati.  

Baltimore Ravens let Belichick walk, not the Cleveland Browns so I don't know how it's a comparison to begin with. He wasn't going to sit out coaching 4 years until the Browns return and he certainly had no desire to leave Pats when the Browns returned. In what made up scenario would of Cleveland been able to keep Belichick?

It should be noted that record was with him coaching an expansion roster.

• Like 1

It's K.e.nt week!  :rock:

And here is a promising sign concerning local media coverage: Ohio.com already has a story on the Wagon Wheel running today (Monday).

http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/history/local-history-wagon-wheel-prized-trophy-of-akron-kent-state-football-game-has-muddy-origin-1.714548

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It's K.e.nt week!  :rock:

And here is a promising sign concerning local media coverage: Ohio.com already has a story on the Wagon Wheel running today (Monday).

http://www.ohio.com/lifestyle/history/local-history-wagon-wheel-prized-trophy-of-akron-kent-state-football-game-has-muddy-origin-1.714548

I'm ending my Ohio.com subscription.  This coverage is an absolute joke.  

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Unless he has another brother getting married between now and the remainder of this season, he should be available to play.

You gotta do what ya gotta do, but I do wonder if there might have been one less score this past Sat. with Boxen at DT. Glad to hear there is no injury.

Edited by UA1987

I guess technically this could have gone with the App State thread but thought it might have a better chance of being seen here.

Are we missing starters from the beginning of the year in the defensive backfield?

I was not familiar with #20 and #26 on Saturday.  The missed assignment on the touchdown to the tight end and the wide open WR on the other TD is why I ask.

26 minutes ago, KentZip said:

I guess technically this could have gone with the App State thread but thought it might have a better chance of being seen here.

Are we missing starters from the beginning of the year in the defensive backfield?

I was not familiar with #20 and #26 on Saturday.  The missed assignment on the touchdown to the tight end and the wide open WR on the other TD is why I ask.

I'll answer as long as you agree to change the first part of your user name. ;-) I think we have mostly the same lineup from the beginning of the year, Larry Hope and DeAndre Scott on the corners (with some Bryce Jones mixed in) and Zach Guiser and Shawn Featherstone at safety. Featherstone is #20 and has played in every game (and has played pretty well in my opinion other than getting burnt badly once against App St). #26 is Darian Dailey and I think his playing time has been somewhat limited so maybe that is what you are thinking of.

49 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Featherstone is #20 and has played in every game (and has played pretty well in my opinion other than getting burnt badly once against App St).

I agree. He is young talent (sophomore) that stands out to me. He seems to be around the ball a lot. Good run supporter. He was also named the Weight Room Most Improved player following spring drills. He had 10 tackles last week, and 9 the week before. Does Joe Dunn still do that piece entitled "Stock on the Rise?" (or something like that). I would bye some SF20 stock now. 

Zips favored by 5 this week. :ninja:

8 hours ago, Buckzip said:

What is the issue with George? When is he due back?

I have no idea.

Oh, and btw, in re-reading my post about Featherstone and George, it sounds like I'm comparing the two and am dissatisfied with Featherstone's play & thus missing George.  That's not what I meant.  I was just attempting to point out that we're pretty stacked at S.

Guiser

Turner

Featherstone

George

Edited by Blue & Gold

I couldn't believe the # of DL who Amato was subbing in-and-out in the App State game.  None of them, of course, could stop App State's monster OL (much like Wisky), but it bodes well for how we'll hold up in the MAC East.

I saw all these guys play on Saturday:

Jamal Marcus

Se'Von Pittman

Darius Copeland

Jelani Hamilton

Brennan Williams

Davon'te Jest

Deon'Tae Moore

Daumantus Venkus

Christopher Spruil

Ibrahima Camara

And that's without Boxen.

They were all pretty good... but none of them were often in the backfield making plays against App State.  App State won the push on the line of scrimmage just about every time.