Game 5—@Kent State Golden Flashes

MDZip

17 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

They were all pretty good... but none of them were often in the backfield making plays against App State.  App State won the push on the line of scrimmage just about every time.

I have felt like the front 7 were all good, but we are not seeing any greatness. We were great in a lot of spots in the front 7 over the last couple of years so we see a huge drop off in play. There is hope that some of the younger players will still develop and I think against most of the MAC, they will be good enough to win with the offense that we have. 

31 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

These injury lists mean little. Coach Bowden does not have to officially announce anything, but Warren Ball has been on this list the last few weeks, and no longer appears. :thumb:

An offensive game plan that favors a few more running plays (clock running), can give our defense some extra sideline time. 

This is very true, too. Bowden answers most questions in a very straightforward fashion except injury questions, which he understandably keeps under his hat for a competitive edge.

The local coverage is a joke. Thomas had an article yesterday not worthy of reading that all but implied we were  capable of sliding back to 5-7 level of play. It really provided zero I sight and zero news and to me was a very negative piece.

Here's the article.  ABJ/Ohio.com

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-lack-of-tackling-chemistry-on-defense-a-source-of-concern-heading-into-game-against-rival-kent-state-1.714970

Defensive coordinator and associate head coach Chuck Amato knew it wasn’t going to be easy given the amount of talent that is gone off of last season’s stellar unit.

But the struggles the Zips have had on defense are something UA fans are not used to seeing.

“I’m not either,” Amato said. “You can tell the fans that. I’m not either.”

Edited by Blue & Gold

I think this is actually a really good article.  Lots of stats I personally wouldn't have known hadn't GT published them.

And I didn't get the vibe GT was saying we might sink back to a 5-7 level.  I just got the vibe that the D is much weaker than the O & is still a work in progress.

"The primary issue revealed itself in last week’s 45-38 loss to Appalachian State at InfoCision Stadium.

Backup running back, Jalin Moore, subbing for the team’s starter, rolled up 257 yards rushing on 39 carries against the Zips, the first time a back had bruised a UA defense that way in more than a decade."

And Bowden is apparently willing to tighten the rotations & keep the best players on the field as much as possible:

“We need to go out there and find the best 11 people and keep them on the field as long as we can and make sure each person does his job,”

Additionally, Amato states he's not thrilled with the intensity with which the D is practicing throughout the week.  I won't post the quotes because I've posted so many already.  Lol.  Give Ohio.com a click.

Edited by Blue & Gold

On 9/26/2016 at 0:24 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

Kent info from Hustle Belt

Looks like they have one decent player on Defense? And it looks like a VMI-like victory for the Zips.

I agree. Which is why I was pretty surprised to see this below.  

21 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Zips favored by 5 this week. :ninja:

That line ought to move a lot by the end of the week.  I see this as a 3 touchdown margin, at least.  

Given the Zips terrible defense up to this point and Kent State inept offense, it should be fun seeing what wins out the stoppable force or the movable object.

Jokes aside I'm going to go Akron as their defense did a pretty good job of limiting the run against Marshall and VMI and Kent's line is not App State/Wisconsin caliber. They are also down to what I'm hearing is their 3rd string QB so hopefully our secondary at least looks semi decent this week. I'll go Akron by 10.

51 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

If our D can't stop K.e.nt, then they won't stop anyone the rest of the year.

Seeing what our defense has given up over the first 4 games, I think this game comes at a perfect time, and presents the ideal opportunity to start getting this defense some confidence.  I hope we take advantage of it, and turn the corner.  

Najee Murray (CB, Kent State) has given up 17 receiving yards in 142 coverage snaps.

The Junior transfer from Ohio State is making the most of his opportunity with Golden Eagles. Through four games and 142 coverage snaps, Murray has allowed a total of 17 yards. Those 17 yards came on 13 targets and three receptions. Opposing quarterbacks have a passer rating of 7.5 when throwing into Murray’s coverage. Murray is PFF College’s fourth-ranked coverage cornerback.

source: @pff

11 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Najee Murray (CB, Kent State) has given up 17 receiving yards in 142 coverage snaps.

The Junior transfer from Ohio State is making the most of his opportunity with Golden Eagles. Through four games and 142 coverage snaps, Murray has allowed a total of 17 yards. Those 17 yards came on 13 targets and three receptions. Opposing quarterbacks have a passer rating of 7.5 when throwing into Murray’s coverage. Murray is PFF College’s fourth-ranked coverage cornerback.

source: @pff

I read somewhere that we have 27 transfers on the roster. It appears to be 1 too few.

I'm hearing J. Marcus will not be playing this game and is undergoing surgery and will miss the rest of the season due to an injury suffered in camp. Props to him for giving it a go these four games, and for being one of the most important players in our best season ever last year.

But if true, wow this sucks. If he makes a complete recovery before the Combine, I still don't think he will fall past the 3rd round.

Edited by akron4ever

15 minutes ago, akron4ever said:

I'm hearing J. Marcus will not be playing this game and is undergoing surgery and will miss the rest of the season due to an injury suffered in camp. Props to him for giving it a go these four games, and for being one of the most important players in our best season ever last year.

But if true, wow this sucks. If he makes a complete recovery before the Combine, I still don't think he will fall past the 3rd round.

Dammit...thats really unfortunate.

I guess a silver living is that Moore was a pretty nice recruit IIRC. Give him plenty of more time time to develop.

Edited by LZIp

58 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

So, with an injury you think he might not "drop" that far?  Geez.  How high did you think he was going?

Everything I am hearing is that scouts are coming out to practice in droves (significantly more than last year), and they are there to only look at him. To the point where when he isn't practicing, they go and talk to Stroud/Marcus and then leave. It's not that I think he was a guaranteed 1st round pick before the injury, although I do think he will put up 1st round measurables if healthy. There is a picture floating around online of him as an 18 year old at OSU, and his measurables even at that age are off the charts - and better than a lot of guys getting drafted in the top 3 rounds. I'll see if I can find it and will post here.

I guess what I am saying is I think unless something crazy happens (off-the field, unsuccessful surgery, etc.), he is a guarantee to go in the top 3-4 rounds with or without this injury. If he had played this whole season hurt, required surgery after the year, and was unable to participate in the Combine/Pro Day with teams knowing he was pending surgery, that would be a different story. I just can't see him not blowing away the Combine and a team not getting enamored with his physical abilities.

Chuck Smith (who a lot of NFL people consider the best pass rush coach in the world), went on ESPN radio last week and was asked "Who are the next-generation pass rushers?" He mentioned 3 guys - Arden Key (LSU), Charles Harris (Mizzou), and Jamal Marcus.

EDIT: Okay, I found the picture. Again, this is before his sophomore year at OSU when he was 18 years old (and this is clearly official OSU documentation). Take a look at the 10 yard split. Now I am not going to get into the whole "was it hand or laser timed?" question, because it is beside the point and we have no way of knowing anyway. However for a little context, Von Miller's split at the Combine was a 1.57, and he was obviously Combine-prepped and a few years older than Marcus when he had the 1.47. Then you look at the 28 bench press reps (with Miller putting up 21) and the picture starts to get a little more clear about the type of athlete we are talking about here. I am in NO WAY saying Marcus is on Miller's level or will ever be, but I think NFL scouts/coaches will look at his measurables and think, "Man, if you give me a few years with this kid, the opportunities are endless." I believe Marcus is now a legit 6'2 250 as well.

Jamal Marcus OSU measurables.jpg

Edited by akron4ever
  • Like 1

How many communities in the United States have not one, but two D-1 college football programs?  

Philadelphia?  Let's see... Temple... no, Villanova's only D-1 (FCS, I know) in basketball.  

Chicago?  Northwestern... no, NIU's too far away from Chicago to realistically count.  

Los Angeles?  UCLA & USC... yes! Los Angeles!  

And Akron... UA & KSU.

Wow!  Akron's got something New York doesn't have; Philadelphia doesn't have, & Chicago doesn't have.  Only Los Angeles shares this distinction!

So... here is the big article from the ABJ the day before the big game!:

30 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

How many communities in the United States have not one, but two D-1 college football programs?  

Chicago?  Northwestern... no, NIU's too far away from Chicago to realistically count.  

Don't tell that to NIU fans. According to their fans they were legit contenders for Big 12 because they had the Chicago market.

Miami (Oh) and Cincy are about 45 minutes apart. That's like Cleveland to Akron.