Game 5—@Kent State Golden Flashes

MDZip

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

How many communities in the United States have not one, but two D-1 college football programs?  

Philadelphia?  Let's see... Temple... no, Villanova's only D-1 (FCS, I know) in basketball.  

Chicago?  Northwestern... no, NIU's too far away from Chicago to realistically count.  

Los Angeles?  UCLA & USC... yes! Los Angeles!  

And Akron... UA & KSU.

Wow!  Akron's got something New York doesn't have; Philadelphia doesn't have, & Chicago doesn't have.  Only Los Angeles shares this distinction!

So... here is the big article from the ABJ the day before the big game!:

Atlanta has Georgia Tech and Georgia State. 

Technically Duke and UNC aren't in the same city, but their campuses are about 10 miles apart (with NC State a little over 20 min away). All three are a part of the same community (the Triangle). 

There definitely isn't many, but now I am spending my morning at work trying to think of more. San Fran with Cal, Stanford, and San Jose State? Not sure how close these are to each other. Edit: I see San Fran mentioned above. 

Dallas with SMU and TCU? I think TCU is technically Fort Worth about 45 min away. 

Edited by akron4ever

53 minutes ago, akron4ever said:

There definitely isn't many, but now I am spending my morning at work trying to think of more. San Fran with Cal, Stanford, and San Jose State? Not sure how close these are to each other. Edit: I see San Fran mentioned above. 

Yes, those 3 schools are all located around the Bay Area, but they are a long way apart.  The Bay Area is much larger than anyone thinks.  

There's a few others that immediately come to mind:

Vanderbilt and Middle Tennessee are both in Nashville.

Rice and Houston are both in Houston

Miami and Florida International are both in Miami.  

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

How many communities in the United States have not one, but two D-1 college football programs?  

Philadelphia?  Let's see... Temple... no, Villanova's only D-1 (FCS, I know) in basketball.  

Chicago?  Northwestern... no, NIU's too far away from Chicago to realistically count.  

Los Angeles?  UCLA & USC... yes! Los Angeles!  

And Akron... UA & KSU.

Wow!  Akron's got something New York doesn't have; Philadelphia doesn't have, & Chicago doesn't have.  Only Los Angeles shares this distinction!

So... here is the big article from the ABJ the day before the big game!:

This has turned into a fun discussion.  But let me clarify my above rant (and reason for asking about D-1 football in communities across the country)... it was originally intended to point out that there is in fact no story in today's ABJ.  

Today (and every day), however, there is a fresh Cleveland Browns story.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Gosh, I can't believe I didn't immediately think of this one.

Michigan and Eastern Michigan are literally right next to each other.  

And I wonder:

Who is closer?  Akron and Kent?  Or Bowling Green and Toledo?

5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

You're right.  Not as close as a thought.  About 30 miles.  

According to Google Maps, Glass Bowl to Doyt Perry, 26 miles; InfoCision to Dix, 12 miles.

6 hours ago, you am i said:

According to Google Maps, Glass Bowl to Doyt Perry, 26 miles; InfoCision to Dix, 12 miles.

Thanks for doing the legwork. 

Years ago, I was making a lot of business trips to that area.  It always seemed like UT and BG were literally right down the street from each other.  I thought they probably weren't as close to each other as Akron/Kent.  But still, pretty close for D-1 schools.  

3 hours ago, Balsy said:

Gameday, let's hope the thunderstorms stay away.  

Akron 35

Kent 0

Keep the WagonWheel where it belongs!  Go Zips!

I was thinking 56-10, a complete blowout....