Game 5—@Kent State Golden Flashes

MDZip

22 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

One thing that hasn't been really discussed is that it was a decent crowd, yesterday. Reported attendance was over 20,000. This was a much better atmosphere for a rivalry game than the week after Thanksgiving, when the students are away and people are with family.

They should really open conference play with rivalry week every year. Games more meaningful then, better weather, students in town, etc.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

What does it matter if we make it out of perhaps the weakest division in all of FBS if we go to Detroit just to get run out of the stadium?

Because we'd have a MAC East title, something we haven't had in 11 years?  And a chance to play for a MAC title?

Do you remember the 2005 MAC Title game?  We were the underdog.  NIU's Wolfe ran all over us for something like 300 yards rushing.  

Guess what?  We still won.  

• Like 1

I haven't had a chance to read all the comments yet and I don't know if anyone said this yet, so I apologize if so. The one thing I can see with this team that shows we are a much better program now than in the past is this: Playing without our starting QB and starting RB and still winning would have never happened in the past. I see a lot of promise with our program.

9 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I haven't had a chance to read all the comments yet and I don't know if anyone said this yet, so I apologize if so. The one thing I can see with this team that shows we are a much better program now than in the past is this: Playing without our starting QB and starting RB and still winning would have never happened in the past. I see a lot of promise with our progrum.

FIFY. You're welcome....:wave:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

2)  If Woody's shoulder was dicey enough to not play, how could Chapman not have been getting some reps w the first team?  He shouldn't have been so unprepared to start-- not really his fault.   Probably a real benefit to all that this happened, but seems like there should have been some gameplanning around this scenario during last week.

Chapman called out as Ryan McGee's backup QB of the week in his ESPN weekly Flipping the Field Column:

Frank Reich Backup QB Of The Week Award: Tra'Von Chapman, Akron. Just prior to kickoff Chapman was informed that starter Thomas Woodson would be sidelined with a sore shoulder. It all felt a bit serendipitous as Chapman would be taking the field at Kent State. In 2013, when he was a player at Pitt, he was arrested in Kent, Ohio, for allegedly assaulting an ex-girlfriend. The former four-star Kent Roosevelt High School prospect pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, spent several nights in jail in his hometown, was dismissed from Pitt and bounced from Division II Ashland to Akron to play for Terry Bowden, where he became the starter and then lost the job. Chapman fired a 43-yard strike to set up the game-winning touchdown as the Zips defeated Kent 31-27. "There are guys who make headlines for the wrong reasons and never get it turned it around," Bowden said late Saturday night. "But there are also kids who work hard to right their wrongs. This is one those of stories."

• Like 5

Also not bad, Ulysees Gilbert III named MAC East Defensive player of the week.  

Defensive Player of the Week: Akron LB Ulysees Gilbert III
Akron sophomore linebacker Ulysees Gilbert III (Ocala, Fla.) led the Zips’ defense with a career-high 16 tackles, including a career-best 10 solo stops and a career-high 3.0 TFL, in the 31-27 Wagon Wheel victory at Kent State. In just the fifth starting appearance of his collegiate career, Gilbert record double-digit tackles for the fourth time this fall. After five games, Gilbert is the Zips’ leading defender with 55 tackles, including team-bests of 31 solo stops and seven tackles for loss. He has two sacks and five hurries.

Of course the irony here is that our opponents QB was named offensive player of the week :) 

Edited by MDZip

11 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Akron sophomore linebacker Ulysees Gilbert III (Ocala, Fla.) led the Zips’ defense with a career-high 16 tackles, including a career-best 10 solo stops and a career-high 3.0 TFL, in the 31-27 Wagon Wheel victory at Kent State. In just the fifth starting appearance of his collegiate career, Gilbert record double-digit tackles for the fourth time this fall. After five games, Gilbert is the Zips’ leading defender with 55 tackles, including team-bests of 31 solo stops and seven tackles for loss. He has two sacks and five hurries.

Gilbert has been fantastic. One of the few bright spots on this defense. That being said his high tackle total is more a testament to the fact the Zips D spends way too many snaps on the field.

• Like 1

A couple things to note here. Our coaches did a great job with halftime adjustments. Fans usually say this when no adjustment was made but the team just plays better in the second half. This isn't the case. Kent ran a different offence than what they have shown by moving Holley from rb/wr to qb. They built upon what App St. ran against us. A lot of set ups with wr movement showing jet screens and option plays. We were making a lot of personnel changes in the first half that only added to the confusion with all formation changes kent was making. The second half we corrected these issues. We started splitting the field in half and letting the corners and safeties switch off and they understood the assignments. In the first half that lead to wide open receivers when we switch off then was caught looking in the back field.

The tackling issues still need fixed.

Kent only had 138 yard rushing on 41 attempts.

On offence we started the game by playing "Tommy's" offence. Chapman doesn't have the arm strength or the game experience to run a down field air assault. The second half we ran more of what the Chapman redzone offence is. Quick passes and screens along with option run and clear out qb keepers. It was nice to see a coordinator abort a game plan that didn't work and go with what the players do best.   

14 minutes ago, Section210Zip said:

A couple things to note here. Our coaches did a great job with halftime adjustments. Fans usually say this when no adjustment was made but the team just plays better in the second half. This isn't the case. Kent ran a different offence than what they have shown by moving Holley from rb/wr to qb. They built upon what App St. ran against us. A lot of set ups with wr movement showing jet screens and option plays. We were making a lot of personnel changes in the first half that only added to the confusion with all formation changes kent was making. The second half we corrected these issues. We started splitting the field in half and letting the corners and safeties switch off and they understood the assignments. In the first half that lead to wide open receivers when we switch off then was caught looking in the back field.

The tackling issues still need fixed.

Kent only had 138 yard rushing on 41 attempts.

On offence we started the game by playing "Tommy's" offence. Chapman doesn't have the arm strength or the game experience to run a down field air assault. The second half we ran more of what the Chapman redzone offence is. Quick passes and screens along with option run and clear out qb keepers. It was nice to see a coordinator abort a game plan that didn't work and go with what the players do best.   

I understand why you might need to wait until halftime to change an entire defensive scheme, but why do you have to wait until after halftime to call a bubble screen to Lane or Natson or call a QB draw. It is clear those plays are already in the playbook, I've seen them run. In fact, wouldn't it make sense to call some high % passes early on to calm your new QBs jitters and build his confidence? 

• Like 1

I watched the first quarter last night. Michael and Dustin kinda crapped their pants when TC5 trotted on for the first series after they had just previewed TW4 and broadcast him warming up before the game :lol: I'm not sure if Haynes poo'ed or was relieved at first. Man was that a long quarter...I wonder what the record is for timeouts called in the first 10 minutes of a college football game?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

I watched the first quarter last night. Michael and Dustin kinda crapped their pants when TC5 trotted on for the first series after they had just previewed TW4 and broadcast him warming up before the game :lol: I'm not sure if Haynes poo'ed or was relieved at first. Man was that a long quarter...I wonder what the record is for timeouts called in the first 10 minutes of a college football game?

Haynes was probably thinking "Damn...I thought I was the only one with a QB surprise today".

Kent using all 3 of their first half timeouts early in the game has to be some kind of record.  

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

Can someone explain to me how that Kent player wasn't flagged for a horse collar tackle on MTB?

I can't. The horse collar might be one of the most shortsighted rules in football. One person got hurt in the history of football, and they made a rule. The only thing it does is limit a players options to get a ball carrier to the ground without helmet to helmet contact. 

21 hours ago, MDZip said:

Of course the irony here is that our opponents QB was named offensive player of the week :) 

As I mentioned earlier in the season. If he keeps progressing, he will be our next "Jatavis"...or even better possibly.