Which HS Player Do YOU think the Zips Should Recruit?

Who did you watch this fall that you feel might make a great Zip? 

I was at the Hudson-McKinley game, and a kid named De'Shawn White was outstanding. Faster than everyone else, had great hands and vision. But he's small. Could he be the next Jo Jo Natson? Beats me. But if I'm Bowden, I get some tape and at least see if he's good enough to be a preferred walk on. 

Short bio and videos

King Sanders of Woodridge.  6-0, 200, 4.4.

I find this guy intriguing as I've been hearing his name for a few years now.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/king-sanders/9m-omjkxEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5374035/king-sanders

Edited by Blue & Gold

• 2 weeks later...

McKinley (Junior) LB Josh Chandler. 6-1, 225

http://www.fridaynightohio.com/news/two-stars-part-attraction-saturday-nights-jackson-mckinley-game

Frankly, Idk if he's really any good.  But McKinley puts out nice D-1 talent pretty regularly.  At least worth a look since he plays just down the road.

Edited by Blue & Gold

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the Ellet -v- Buchtel game last night.

Buchtel's got a nice looking senior LB named Brandon Tuck-Hayden.  Tough, fast LB w/ a good frame @ 6-2, 210.  And he's got the typical Buchtel mean streak.  Good looking player.

Buchte's also got a great freshman RB who starts for them right now in Darvon Hubbard.  At 5-11, 185 he already looks like a senior out there.  He moves like a senior, too - very calm & composed & confident, like he's been doing the varsity gig for years.  If he continues to develop (needs to get a little faster) he's going to be an absolute beast.  He stood out to me & I was shocked when I looked him up and saw he was only a freshman.

Edited by Blue & Gold

• 2 weeks later...

Tyler Adams, Louisville, WR, 5-11, 185, 4.54

It'd be nice if we at least invited Tyler to be a preferred walk-on.

As far as I can tell he isn't generating any D-1 interest, but he's been a tremendous high school WR for 3 years now & is one of those blue collar kids who can just play football.  Plus, I've seen him interviewed and he seems like a sincerely nice, humble kid.  

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4037931/tyler-adams

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Tyler Adams, Louisville, WR, 5-11, 185, 4.54

It'd be nice if we at least invited Tyler to be a preferred walk-on.

As far as I can tell he isn't generating any D-1 interest, but he's been a tremendous high school WR for 3 years now & is one of those blue collar kids who can just play football.  Plus, I've seen him interviewed and he seems like a sincerely nice, humble kid.  

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4037931/tyler-adams

I feel Louisville problem is they play in a fairly week conference so no scouts give them the time or day unless they make it deep enough in the playoffs. I grew up playing football with Drew Kuhn. The kid could straight up ball and was easily the best player that I've seen put on a Louisville uniform. He ended up making the Stark County all decade team which featured players like Dustin Fox, Justin Zwick, Erik Howard, Reggie Corner, TJ Downing, Shawn Crable, etc.. If I'm not mistaken he finished 2nd to Morgan Williams for Stark county player of the year the same year both McKinley and Massillon met the final week of the season at 9-0. I'm still surprised he graduated with 0 FBS offers.

http://www.fridaynightohio.com/news/player-capsules-repositorys-stark-county-all-decade-football-team

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

During the course of the season I go to games all over Central Ohio on Friday nights. I have to say I was truly impressed by two players I saw this week from Columbus Franklin Heights. 

The first is WR James Morgan and the second would be his QB Dylan Akers. I don't follow recruiting as much as some so I have no idea as to their grad year or who they may or may not already have recruiting them.

I do know that Franklin Heights is not usually a school that produces much in the way of football. Until recently you could pretty much count on them being at or near the bottom of the standings but this year their team is 11-1 and heading to the Division II regional semifinals in the Ohio playoffs so these guys have been major program changers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:27 PM, Blue & Gold said:

King Sanders of Woodridge.  6-0, 200, 4.4.

I find this guy intriguing as I've been hearing his name for a few years now.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/king-sanders/9m-omjkxEeS00gAmVebEWg/gendersport/football-stats.htm

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5374035/king-sanders

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

How about Mentor HS QB Tadas Tatarunas?  A 6'4,  220 lb 2018 QB , on the Mr Ohio Watch list ,  his team playing St Ignatious next week in the Region 1 D1 final. They upset St Edwards this week.  Tatarunas for his 3 year career has approx 8,500 yards passing , 80 TDs,  a 3.9 GPA. Has led his team to some dramatic comebacks in the past several weeks, for the season has approx 28 passing TDs  and 6 running TDs, w approx 2,800 yards passing.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3830161/59c6b2d44ba86a0a40d102ef

Edited by mikea
add content
  • Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:47 PM, mikea said:

How about Mentor HS QB Tadas Tatarunas?  A 6'4,  220 lb 2018 QB , on the Mr Ohio Watch list ,  his team playing St Ignatious next week in the Region 1 D1 final. They upset St Edwards this week.  Tatarunas for his 3 year career has approx 8,500 yards passing , 80 TDs,  a 3.9 GPA. Has led his team to some dramatic comebacks in the past several weeks, for the season has approx 28 passing TDs  and 6 running TDs, w approx 2,800 yards passing.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3830161/59c6b2d44ba86a0a40d102ef

I don't see a single offer for him, which is shocking.

I don't know every athlete on the team but following up on the Coby Booker success, I would keep an eye on the Barberton roster.

27 minutes ago, KentZip said:

I don't see a single offer for him, which is shocking.

I don't know every athlete on the team but following up on the Coby Booker success, I would keep an eye on the Barberton roster.

Tatarunas has a confirmed offer from Robert Morris in Pittsburg, and a PWO from Ohio St and Cinn.   He was invited to attend an Akron game, but couldn't make it.  They play St Ignatious this Friday night for the Region 1, D1 title.   Akron would have a decent chance of signing him if they offered.  He's a very smart, big kid, big armed QB playing in the spread,   more like a Luke Falk at Wash St system.   Has led his team to some exciting last minute comebacks this month.  Very cool under pressure.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KentZip said:

OU beat us out for Barberton's star player. 6'1", 215 lb.,  LB/RB Keye Thompson.  Dude's an absolute stud.  I'm really disappointed we couldn't land him.

Edited by Blue & Gold

21 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

OU beat us out for Barberton's star player. 6'1", 215 lb.,  LB/RB Keye Thompson.  Dude's an absolute stud.  I'm really disappointed we couldn't land him.

Let's hope last night will change his mind. I REALLY would love for us to land him. I saw a Barberton contingent there, couldn't tell if he was with them or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to a couple of the state championship games on Friday. If I'm UA I get some tape on Antonio Salinas from Eastwood HS.

Had a monster game - 3 sacks and 6 TFL's. 1st team All Ohio. Played DL, but would be an LB at the next level. 6' 1", 205. Runs track. 

He's Division 5, so maybe he's under the radar? He looked like a Division 1 college recruit to me.

Antonio-Salinas-8-26.jpg

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't know he had de-committed from Virginia.  I'm interested!  He must have at least one solid offer to de-commit, no?

I saw him play against Hudson this year. The kid is Julian Edelman Jr. Tough, strong...I'd LOVE to see him in a Zips uniform.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2017 at 8:01 PM, Blue & Gold said:
On 12/4/2017 at 7:38 PM, LZIp said:

Didn't know he had de-committed from Virginia.  I'm interested!  He must have at least one solid offer to de-commit, no?

Recruiting is a strange game.

Just my 2 cents on what his decommitment might mean:

You could very well be right about him having a solid offer for football elsewhere but...

You can really never get a good "read" on the tea leaves unless you have inside information (family, etc.). It could be that he decommitted so that other schools who might be interested would continue to recruit him. Some schools will move on to other targets if a guy is committed. For blue chip players and P5 programs, that's obviously not the case as coaches will continue to try to get those guys often into the wee hours before singing day. For the other 99% of prospects, if you appear to be locked into a school, some programs will not waste the time/energy in trying to "flip" you. 

So, maybe he wanted to show programs he was available; especially as a football prospect.

• Thanks 1

For those that are maybe confused, he was committed to wrestle at Virginia, as he is a very high talent on the mats.

His preference is Football, where his only visit according to the article is to Elon.

11 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Which may be part of the puzzle? They may not give out full rides for wrestling? Idk, just a thought.

He did state in the article he enjoys football more than wrestling (paraphrased). I don't blame him - wrestling is brutal; football is a blast!

Very very very rarely do they give out full rides. Maybe the top 10 recruits in a given year will get a full ride for 5 years. 

• Thanks 1