Which HS Player Do YOU think the Zips Should Recruit?

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

tenor-48169479.gif

tenor-200477571.gif

Why are you so upset?  I watch this kid every Friday & he is a good QB, nice arm strength, he makes nice long throws with all kinds of talent for H.S. around him.  He is inaccurate on the more every down throw.  Hoban runs all over you & then kills you on the deep pass.  He is built like a RB & that is why no one has offered a 3 time state champ.  I wouldn’t want him at Akron.  I am not saying that to be mean.

Things I do give him, he is a leader & has great determination, he is tough & never gives up, so in my opinion he has a lot of the qualities but not a D1 QB, for the kids sake I hope I’m wrong cause he is a good kid.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

Why are you so upset?  I watch this kid every Friday & he is a good QB, nice arm strength, he makes nice long throws with all kinds of talent for H.S. around him.  He is inaccurate on the more every down throw.  Hoban runs all over you & then kills you on the deep pass.  He is built like a RB & that is why no one has offered a 3 time state champ.  I wouldn’t want him at Akron.  I am not saying that to be mean.

Things I do give him, he is a leader & has great determination, he is tough & never gives up, so in my opinion he has a lot of the qualities but not a D1 QB, for the kids sake I hope I’m wrong cause he is a good kid.  

I'm not losing sleep over it and I wouldn't offer him a FBS level scholarship, but I can't see why you wouldn't take a chance on offering preferred walk on status to a three time state champion QB that plays a walk away from your home stadium.  It costs you nothing and if nothing else it helps your relationship with a school that's turning out a boatload of D1 recruits. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'm not losing sleep over it and I wouldn't offer him a FBS level scholarship, but I can't see why you wouldn't take a chance on offering preferred walk on status to a three time state champion QB that plays a walk away from your home stadium.  It costs you nothing and if nothing else it helps your relationship with a school that's turning out a boatload of D1 recruits. 

I agree & we very well could offer him a PWO, which would he choose?  Kent is half the commute, Kent is in a better place right now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

You're absolutely spot on with your evaluation of Hamm & I agree.  

I'm just aggravated because offering him a PWO (Prefered Walk On) doesn't cost us a scholarship and could help build a relationship with the Hoban program.  He'd likely never see the field at this level, but get him in here, make him a part of the team, let him have a great time and then let him help recruit Hoban for you.  He's a leader and seems like a good kid and has a high football IQ.  If Arth is trying to change the culture he seems like an influence you'd want on the team (again, especially if we could simply get him here as a walk-on).  Terrell said in the postgame interview that Hamm would probably be coaching with him one day.  A relationship with Hamm could have benefits for the next 20 years.  

So yeah, that's why I'm upset about it - because it appears Kent's head coach is thinking what I'm thinking and even if Arth does eventually offer a PWO, Kent beat us to the punch and has the inside track now (plus all the good will as those subtweets show).

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

You're absolutely spot on with your evaluation of Hamm & I agree.  

I'm just aggravated because offering him a PWO (Prefered Walk On) doesn't cost us a scholarship and could help build a relationship with the Hoban program.  He'd likely never see the field at this level, but get him in here, make him a part of the team, let him have a great time and then let him help recruit Hoban for you.  He's a leader and seems like a good kid and has a high football IQ.  If Arth is trying to change the culture he seems like an influence you'd want on the team (again, especially if we could simply get him here as a walk-on).  Terrell said in the postgame interview that Hamm would probably be coaching with him one day.  A relationship with Hamm could have benefits for the next 20 years.  

So yeah, that's why I'm upset about it - because it appears Kent's head coach is thinking what I'm thinking and even if Arth does eventually offer a PWO, Kent beat us to the punch and has the inside track now (plus all the good will as those subtweets show).

You are having this debate assuming we did not offer him a PWO.  Is that the case or did this kid just accept the PWO from Kent?

36 minutes ago, a-zip said:

You are having this debate assuming we did not offer him a PWO.  Is that the case or did this kid just accept the PWO from Kent?

I’m assuming we didn’t offer him a PWO (yet). If we did I haven’t seen him post anything about it on Twitter.  I don’t think he’s accepted the PWO offer from Kent, he simply posted that he received one.

Until we can get an O line that understands how to pick up blitz packages ,pass block correctly and understand how to physically dominate their opponent we do not need a pocket passer . You need a serious athlete that can elude the rush. The young man from Hoban is not the answer .Dont get me wrong, Im sure he is a fine boy and will be a really good D2 QB. Just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, bigjim said:

I know we are down to about 37 hours prior to the start of the signings.  I am still hoping greatly for Ian Kipp of Mentor as the QB.  He would start from day 1 and the Zips would be winning big in 2 years. 

I’m surprised he hasn’t committed anywhere yet

6 hours ago, John Ward said:

Kipp is NOT the answer!

Division 1 offensive player of the year as a Junior in the state and first team all state as a senior in this crazy year.  He would immediately be the best QB on the roster.  If you watched any of his games, you could see that he can throw and run very well.  He would be the Zip answer.  He could outplay Gibson immediately and he won the award as a junior over Marousek.  I know that at one time, Arth was strongly recruiting him, and he was hoping for the big time.  I do not know about the current situation, but we have about 26 hours.  Let's make him a Zip.  

2 hours ago, zzx said:

Here is a video that includes  Kipp in his final High School game

looks to be more of a pocket passer - not a dual threat

the opposing QB is a dual threat however - Garner Wallace - Northwestern commit as a safety- his senior year was his first year as a  starting varsity QB

In Mentor's final game this year against Pick Central, Ian Kipp did not play.  This is a video of the Pick Central game.  I do not know if there was an injury or a covid situation.  So, the QB you are referring to in the video is not Kipp.  You are right, he is more of a pocket passer.  If I remember, he is a sophomore.  Please get facts straight before putting down a high school player.

DJ Irons' dad says he's the program changing QB we've all been longing for. Told y'all. ?

But in all seriousness, I really hope he is. He has a chance to start next season.

Sounds like Kato's dad.  I do agree that the competition should be wide open.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bigjim said:

In Mentor's final game this year against Pick Central, Ian Kipp did not play.  This is a video of the Pick Central game.  I do not know if there was an injury or a covid situation.  So, the QB you are referring to in the video is not Kipp.  You are right, he is more of a pocket passer.  If I remember, he is a sophomore.  Please get facts straight before putting down a high school player.

thought it was him  since it was mentor- a team which i do not follow

post deleted - thank you for pointing this out