Which HS Player Do YOU think the Zips Should Recruit?

17 hours ago, bigjim said:

Division 1 offensive player of the year as a Junior in the state and first team all state as a senior in this crazy year.  He would immediately be the best QB on the roster.  If you watched any of his games, you could see that he can throw and run very well.  He would be the Zip answer.  He could outplay Gibson immediately and he won the award as a junior over Marousek.  

Kipp is a great player but here is some perspective about winning award over Marousek: For most of his career, Kipp played behind a line that featured 3 Big 10 recruits and was throwing to Floriea who turned down BC for Kent, plus multiple other college players on Mentor, a perennial power. Marousek started at North Royalton (never a football power) as a freshmen  and played for four years behind an offensive line that had I believe, zero (0) linemen who have played in college, anywhere, including D3. In fact, I believe there are only two kids from Marousek’s HS years that are currently playing in college, one at a D2 Tiffin and Akron’s Kyle Baumann , long snapper. 

When Kipp missed the semi final game this year due to COVID, they started a sophomore in his first game, who put up over thirty points and almost won the game. Marousek missed the final 4 games of his senior year due to injury so he wasn’t going to be up for any awards as compared to his Junior year, yet his team was 4-2 and looking for only their 4th playoff appearance ever. After he was hurt, they lost their final 4 games and 10 in a row including this year. 

I know a number of NR coaches and have followed them for years. Marousek was recruited D1 for both football and baseball. If Marousek is healthy, he will compete for the starting job. My prediction is Kipp is holding out maybe til the February signing date to see if any other offers come, otherwise he will join Floriea at Kent, with Crum leaving after next year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Look at our roster. We are deep on talent at slot & wr. Don’t  think we need anymore this class. Maybe 2022or 2023 We need QB ,DL and OL and DBs now.

Phipps has sure hands - how fast are these other receivers? - I think Phipps could compete at slot WR

Phipps could improve the return game immediately -zips returns this year  were :

longest punt return = 1 yard

average punt return =  negative 2.67 yards 

longest KO return = 39 yards

average KO return = 19.84 yards

returns.PNG

57 minutes ago, zzx said:

Phipps has sure hands - how fast are these other receivers? - I think Phipps could compete at slot WR

Phipps could improve the return game immediately -zips returns this year  were :

longest punt return = 1 yard

average punt return =  negative 2.67 yards 

longest KO return = 39 yards

average KO return = 19.84 yards

returns.PNG

Sorry my man ! I just cant see it.Remember his dad is retired so you ain't getting him.

26 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thread on Akron only landing in 4 Ohio kids.  Lots of typical twitter negativity in the replies, but also quite a number of people who seem to want success for Akron.

Not landing =/= not recruiting. Its a dumb take on numerous levels, including me just counting 53 players from OH on our roster. I suppose Ken would rather us give a scholly to a kid not deserving or a kid who will never make it to campus let alone be able to stick with the program (like just about ever city series player I can think of Bowden recruited) than sign players he thinks are the best fit for the school/program/culture. Everyone is so short-sighted these days.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Not landing =/= not recruiting. Its a dumb take on numerous levels, including me just counting 53 players from OH on our roster. I suppose Ken would rather us give a scholly to a kid not deserving or a kid who will never make it to campus let alone be able to stick with the program (like just about ever city series player I can think of Bowden recruited) than sign players he thinks are the best fit for the school/program/culture. Everyone is so short-sighted these days.

Good post.

1. You're correct.  Not landing =/= not recruiting.  Carman said "recruited."  I gave him the benefit of the doubt and posted "landed."  But there is definitely a difference.

2. I believe you're correct concerning the City Series kids.  East's DeVanier Floyd seemed like an Arth-type recruit.  The others... not so much.  Arth & Co. are clearly working to change the personality of the locker room.  Buchtel had a handful of good players this year (all of whom played at Massillon this year ?) but I really doubt Arth is interested in any of them... at all.

3. If you read the thread some people are just negative about the city of Akron.  But hey, our campus is beautiful, downtown is about to come alive and is truly experiencing a renaissance.  Our stadium is beautiful & the field house is excellent.  It has to be the lack of winning which makes it difficult.  The soccer & basketball team don't have any trouble landing top-shelf talent.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thread on Akron only landing in 4 Ohio kids.  Lots of typical twitter negativity in the replies, but also quite a number of people who seem to want success for Akron.

Why are we paying any attention to a fat guy who could not play tiddly winks.  This clown has never played a sport but people listen to him.  He does not know what a jock strap is and does not possess anything that could fit into one.  I trust that Arth is recruiting the best players that he can.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Once again, this clown is double dipping.  He claims to be an Akron fan, and he may be because he is an alumnus.  However, he is a much bigger Suckeye fan.  I have listened to this idiot drool over the Suckeyes for ever, in part because Lima would lead the discussion.  I cannot believe it was the Ken Carman show because Anthony ran the episodes.  I quit listening to this fat piece of blubber several months ago because he had no facts and was a hypocrite that would waver in the wind.  He would ride on Lima and his comments.  Again, I quit listening over the last 6 months because that ignorant Suckeye who knows nothing would make utterly stupid comments, and Lima would bail him out.  Please quit posting comments of a person who could not play T ball unless his dad was coach and his mom was the scorekeeper.  This person is not an Akron fan.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, John Ward said:

Just my opinion but we need to try and grab a season QB even if for 2 yrs while the youngins learn.There are plenty in the transfer portal and also maybe we get some DBs as well. I see Mr Dominique Long is in the portal. Nice DB and the brother of ex zip ,Daryl.

That would be Kato. Assuming he is healthy, he has the experience.

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Earlier in the thread there was a little back & forth in regards to Mentor QB Ian Kipp. Well, Kipp verballed to Kent, so we’ll get to see how he fares in the MAC. He’ll just be wearing blue & pee, not blue & gold.

Big loss for the Zips that will come back to haunt us for several years.  Through family members, I know that Arth was recruiting him hard.  This is different than Kareem Hunt not getting a look by the Zips several years ago.  Ian was holding out for the big time, but with the Zips signing a couple of QB;s, I understand why he went a different path.  Also, he was invited to a couple of big time camps last spring and summer, and they got cancelled due to Covid.  I am certain this reduced the visibility on him.  Also, the 2020 HS schedule affected everything.  But, he was the D1 player of the year as a junior and first team all state as a senior.  Kent got a steal.  When I am at the stadium in a couple of years watching Kent roll us because of Kipp, I will be really sad.  But, I will have probably have tail gated with his family for a short period of time before the game.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Big loss for the Zips that will come back to haunt us for several years.  Through family members, I know that Arth was recruiting him hard.  This is different than Kareem Hunt not getting a look by the Zips several years ago.  Ian was holding out for the big time, but with the Zips signing a couple of QB;s, I understand why he went a different path.  Also, he was invited to a couple of big time camps last spring and summer, and they got cancelled due to Covid.  I am certain this reduced the visibility on him.  Also, the 2020 HS schedule affected everything.  But, he was the D1 player of the year as a junior and first team all state as a senior.  Kent got a steal.  When I am at the stadium in a couple of years watching Kent roll us because of Kipp, I will be really sad.  But, I will have probably have tail gated with his family for a short period of time before the game.

I don't think this will happen but maybe Im wrong. Kipp didn't impress me that much.Have to see what happens.I don't put much into All State, All District etc because its too political. Again , maybe he proves me wrong. 

15 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I don't think this will happen but maybe Im wrong. Kipp didn't impress me that much.Have to see what happens.I don't put much into All State, All District etc because its too political. Again , maybe he proves me wrong. 

Lot 9 after the Kent game in 2023.  If you are right, drinks and food are on me.  If I am right, I take some Warsteiner and a steak off the grill.  

On 12/16/2020 at 12:36 AM, Zipped Up said:

My prediction is Kipp is holding out maybe til the February signing date to see if any other offers come, otherwise he will join Floriea at Kent, with Crum leaving after next year.

Per Scouting Ohio, he had 4 offers: Akron, BG, Kent and UMASS, arguably 3 of the 4 worst ranked teams in FBS. Not every kid discloses all his offers but obviously he didn't have anything better prior to the early signing period, or he would have taken it then. 

On 1/28/2021 at 9:31 PM, bigjim said:

Big loss for the Zips that will come back to haunt us for several years.  Through family members, I know that Arth was recruiting him hard.  This is different than Kareem Hunt not getting a look by the Zips several years ago.  Ian was holding out for the big time, but with the Zips signing a couple of QB;s, I understand why he went a different path. 

Yes he took the best path available, which per the Lake County News-Herald is a walk-on opportunity initially. Says he got squeezed out of scholarship by Kent as they are up against limits due to this year's COVID waiver on eligibility. I am sure that is true to an extent, but if Arth was so hot on him, then he had chance to take scholarship at UA since they still have scholarships available.  1) Either UA's offer wasn't still on the table or 2) he had to decide if he wanted to compete with Akron's 4 young QB's or take his chances against very little competition after Crum leaves after next year. I think my thoughts from December (above) echo his decision. Lastly, if Kent believes he is a can't miss QB prospect, they would not have taken the risk of losing him to the hated Zips (or BG or UMASS) by asking him to walk-on (which will likely be a minimum of 2 years). They would have met the limit by pulling some  lower rated OL/DL's scholarship and asked them to earn it instead. Time will tell.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Zipped Up said:

Per Scouting Ohio, he had 4 offers: Akron, BG, Kent and UMASS, arguably 3 of the 4 worst ranked teams in FBS. Not every kid discloses all his offers but obviously he didn't have anything better prior to the early signing period, or he would have taken it then. 

Yes he took the best path available, which per the Lake County News-Herald is a walk-on opportunity initially. Says he got squeezed out of scholarship by Kent as they are up against limits due to this year's COVID waiver on eligibility. I am sure that is true to an extent, but if Arth was so hot on him, then he had chance to take scholarship at UA since they still have scholarships available.  1) Either UA's offer wasn't still on the table or 2) he had to decide if he wanted to compete with Akron's 4 young QB's or take his chances against very little competition after Crum leaves after next year. I think my thoughts from December (above) echo his decision. Lastly, if Kent believes he is a can't miss QB prospect, they would not have taken the risk of losing him to the hated Zips (or BG or UMASS) by asking him to walk-on (which will likely be a minimum of 2 years). They would have met the limit by pulling some  lower rated OL/DL's scholarship and asked them to earn it instead. Time will tell.

I have seen post after post stating if a player is good enough and has all the stars and hype etc they get the attn.Why is he only offered PWO at small schools.? Why is losing this young man such a concern? He obviously is not as good as his hype. If Im a QB out of HS, I would have no problem coming to Akron. I don't believe we have any elite QBs. I say it again ,work the transfer portal and get some players. The recruiting landscape for HS Sr’s this year is trashed. With no camps & no meetings, coaches are in the dark on these kids. Transfer’s have film etc and have gone thru the process.Therefore,are a better risk so to speak. I think the whole landscape is changing.

52 minutes ago, John Ward said:

Why is he only offered PWO at small schools.? 

Hey now. Lol

52 minutes ago, John Ward said:

I don't believe we have any elite QBs. 

Of course Idk, but I am excited to see our JUCO All-American QB DJ Irons.

I’m not asking for the moon. I just want a QB who can make reads to 2 different receivers and, if nothing is there, run for 4-5 yards.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, John Ward said:

I don't believe we have any elite QBs.

No one knows what Akron has among three of its young QBs. Two just arrived and one was never in the mix last year due to shortened season (no summer and fall camp preparation) and injury. 

5 hours ago, John Ward said:

He obviously is not as good as his hype.

Who knows how good Kipp may be. I think one of the keys to evaluating talent, particularly in HS, is gaging who a  kid  played against and more important, who he played with. If you look back over the last 15 years or so, Mentor has been a consistent power, with record setting QBs. Was the team good due to QB play or did the QBs excel due to the talent around him?  Bart Tanski was Mr. Football in Ohio in 2007,  had to walk on at BG. Never really played, ended up on baseball I believe. Next big name was Trubisky, offered by everyone including Alabama (with the exception of genius Urban) , 1st round NFL.   Krizancic followed for one year at QB, although he was committed to Minnesota at WR. IIRC the team went just as far in the playoffs with him at QB as Trubisky and he became All-State and recommitted to OU to play QB. Unfortunately he retired from football due to concussion. I would argue the hype around his 1season at QB was due more to the team he played on than his QB skills (not athletic skills as he was a multi sport skilled athlete). Next came Tadas Tatarunas. Big kid, 6-5 225, started three years and went to playoffs all three years. No D1 offers, not even FCS. is currently at Walsh where he has yet to play. Now Kipp. I would say the college coaches (in most instances) seem to be able to determine wether the hype is based on individual talent or team support. 

5 hours ago, John Ward said:

The recruiting landscape for HS Sr’s this year is trashed. With no camps & no meetings, coaches are in the dark on these kids.

Very few kids are recruited D1 based on Sr year. Sophomore and Junior year is make or break time. In Kipp's case, KSU offered him three years ago, sophomore year. They've been to his games, seen his film and had him in camp. The problem with being offered that early is that it really isn't a "commitable" offer until Sr year. That is what his sophomore offer was from Kent. He gambled on bigger offers that never came, including holding out past the early signing period and it allowed Kent to change their evaluation and deal offered.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

No one knows what Akron has among three of its young QBs. Two just arrived and one was never in the mix last year due to shortened season (no summer and fall camp preparation) and injury. 

Who knows how good Kipp may be. I think one of the keys to evaluating talent, particularly in HS, is gaging who a  kid  played against and more important, who he played with. If you look back over the last 15 years or so, Mentor has been a consistent power, with record setting QBs. Was the team good due to QB play or did the QBs excel due to the talent around him?  Bart Tanski was Mr. Football in Ohio in 2007,  had to walk on at BG. Never really played, ended up on baseball I believe. Next big name was Trubisky, offered by everyone including Alabama (with the exception of genius Urban) , 1st round NFL.   Krizancic followed for one year at QB, although he was committed to Minnesota at WR. IIRC the team went just as far in the playoffs with him at QB as Trubisky and he became All-State and recommitted to OU to play QB. Unfortunately he retired from football due to concussion. I would argue the hype around his 1season at QB was due more to the team he played on than his QB skills (not athletic skills as he was a multi sport skilled athlete). Next came Tadas Tatarunas. Big kid, 6-5 225, started three years and went to playoffs all three years. No D1 offers, not even FCS. is currently at Walsh where he has yet to play. Now Kipp. I would say the college coaches (in most instances) seem to be able to determine wether the hype is based on individual talent or team support. 

Very few kids are recruited D1 based on Sr year. Sophomore and Junior year is make or break time. In Kipp's case, KSU offered him three years ago, sophomore year. They've been to his games, seen his film and had him in camp. The problem with being offered that early is that it really isn't a "commitable" offer until Sr year. That is what his sophomore offer was from Kent. He gambled on bigger offers that never came, including holding out past the early signing period and it allowed Kent to change their evaluation and deal offered.

You've got some good insight. Stick around!

16 minutes ago, Zipped Up said:

Or the young man did not live up to his potential or expected potential.

• 4 months later...