Which HS Player Do YOU think the Zips Should Recruit?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

He left Vandy.  Danny Clark to Akron?  No, not yet.  "This will be Clark’s 4th school in as many years." Sheesh. 

He and daddy have never realized that he might actually have some success at the level of a conference like the MAC.  An OSU tattoo in high school...4 schools in 4 years...now in the transfer portal...

Not what they had in mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Don’t know if Clark would win the starting job here

I agree. I like who we have now to compete for the job. Clark is a cancer in the locker room that began at Hoban and has been fostered by his dad. We don't need his act. Clearly not the high character recruit Arth wants. 

• 4 months later...

For the new coach:

update on class of '24 Sam Williams-Dixon 6-1 190 RB/WR/S

transferred to West Holmes from Loudonville 

2021 Div III region 10 championship: West Holmes 31 Holy Name 21

game starts at 1:03:00 in the video below:

2021 Div III region 10 championship: West Holmes 31 Holy Name 21

Edited by zzx

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember walk-on TJ DeShields from like a year or two ago? Apparently he has a younger brother, Dru DeShields, that's a dual threat QB at West Branch High School. He just completed his junior season and was named to the Division IV All-Ohio first team. Someone I know follows West Branch & Warren Harding programs fairly closely. They told me that Dru Deshields is the closest player they've seen to Lynn Bowden in terms of skill, dual threat QB, and production. Bowden ended up going to Kentucky before landing with the Mami Dolphins in the NFL. I think he would fit in this offense. 

Here are some highlights he posted along with some youtube clips I found: 

Here's highlights from a game late in the regular season(October 23rd / Week 10)

I don't like the camera angles but here's the whole game (starts at 17:30 min mark into the video) :

The last one talks about Dru Deshields primarily in the video starting around the three minute mark. 

The full game

https://www.wkbn.com/sports/game-of-the-week/high-scoring-west-branch-welcomes-poland-for-this-fridays-game-of-the-week/

Edited by mes102

9 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Martin Sr season:  90 receptions, 19 TDs, 1432 yards.

Looks like his only offer so far is Ashland.

• 1 month later...

One high school player I would love to see come to Akron is 

QB Drew Novak, Western Brown High School, Mt. Orab, Ohio.... Ohio Division 3 player of the year... comes from a small country town East of Cincinnati but would be really exciting to see how a QB like this could develop with a coach like Moorhead.

I saw him in the regional finals against Granville and you could see he was the real deal. How do we get him on the new staff’s radar? His numbers are eye popping as well. I believe he passed for over 4,400 yards this past season (his junior HS year).

Anyone have any thoughts on him?

Too high of a target even though he comes from an unknown and not huge school, even with an offensive coach like JoeMo as a selling point?

38622D5A-DAE3-41C6-A118-B2F30CE0FB34.jpeg

Edited by GJGood

14 minutes ago, GJGood said:

One high school player I would love to see come to Akron is 

QB Drew Novak, Western Brown High School, Mt. Orab, Ohio.... Ohio Division 3 player of the year... comes from a small country town East of Cincinnati but would be really exciting to see how a QB like this could develop with a coach like Moorhead.

I saw him in the regional finals against Granville and you could see he was the real deal. How do we get him on the new staff’s radar? His numbers are eye popping as well. I believe he passed for over 4,400 yards this past season (his junior HS year).

Anyone have any thoughts on him?

Too high of a target even though he comes from an unknown and not huge school, even with an offensive coach like JoeMo as a selling point?

38622D5A-DAE3-41C6-A118-B2F30CE0FB34.jpeg

Can't be too high of a target if he has no offers heading into his Sr year :) I will have to check him out though. Thanks.

On 1/10/2022 at 5:12 PM, LZIp said:

Can't be too high of a target if he has no offers heading into his Sr year :) I will have to check him out though. Thanks.

Third team All-Ohio QB, older brother Dylan Novak is also a third team all-Ohio WR  (these are regardless of division) and was a senior this season. I don’t know his college status but he wouldn’t be a bad target either especially if they would end up a package deal

Edited by GJGood

51 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I’m surprised Green WR Trey Martin, Barberton RB Cameron Macon, and Hoban WR/DB Tyson Grim haven’t received any D-1 offers. I am very impressed w/ all three.

The situation does not look promising for them.

With the number of D1 scholarships being offered to high schoolers dramatically reduced by the portal, the odds of one being offered to a zero star athlete (I know stars don't matter) are not good.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This goes to show what I know. Jason Martin really stood out to me as a sophomore starter at Hoban and he's always one of the best players on the field; a total stud (he may have even started when he was a freshman, I don't remember). DT who is 6-0, 275 & strong as an ox. But he's not getting any D-1 looks. Here he announced a D-3(?) offer.

Edited by Blue & Gold

6 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

This goes to show what I know. Jason Martin really stood out to me as a sophomore starter at Hoban and he's always one of the best players on the field; a total stud (he may have even started when he was a freshman, I don't remember). DT who is 6-0, 275 & strong as an ox. But he's not getting any D-1 looks. Here he announced a D-3(?) offer.

Couple of things, i don’t think he is even 6 foot tall & academics but he is definitely strong

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...