New QB on the Zips Radar?

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

According to Rivals he received an offer from Illinois.

That team that got manhandled by Western Michigan?

The MAC actually has some pretty good teams right now. Better than the other G5 conferences. Toledo, WMU and CMU are top notch. The Zips offense is at that level too (the OL has improved greatly since Wisconsin). If it keeps up, I can see lower-tier Big-10 programs losing an increasing amount of HS recruits to MAC schools. The TV exposure and bowl tie ins are essentially the same (for programs like Illinois or Indiana, obviously not for Ohio State). And the chance to see the field is better.

Being an Akron native might actually help the cause if he was really an Akron native. It says he is a Columbus native who at some point moved to Massillon for some amount of time and has only attended Hoban for 2 years. I'm guessing he doesn't have the same attachment to the community that someone who was born and bred here does.

8 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

That team that got manhandled by Western Michigan?

The MAC actually has some pretty good teams right now. Better than the other G5 conferences. Toledo, WMU and CMU are top notch. The Zips offense is at that level too (the OL has improved greatly since Wisconsin). If it keeps up, I can see lower-tier Big-10 programs losing an increasing amount of HS recruits to MAC schools. The TV exposure and bowl tie ins are essentially the same (for programs like Illinois or Indiana, obviously not for Ohio State). And the chance to see the field is better.

I should have specified more. I expect other offers to come in besides Illinois now that he has reopened his recruitment.

He's built like an NFL QB & throws darts like one.  But Danny's on-field production is... meh.  I'd be happy for him to rep UA, but he probably made the right call by de-committing from OSU if he actually wants to see the field in college.

Hoban RB Todd Sibley also de-committed from OSU and is now a Pitt commit.  It'd be nice to see him in Akron blue & gold, not Pitt blue & gold.

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 hours ago, ZachTheZip said:

It's called a "verbal commitment" because it's not in writing. It's worth less than a handshake.

Another oxymoron and misnomer. It's nice to know we have no "commits" yet for next year. I wonder, do we still recruit players that have already "committed" to other programs? I don't see why we shouldn't, if it's someone we want. What is the purpose of a player even making a "verbal commitment"?

13 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I don't think we'd be interested in Transfer QBs other than as backups.  We've got Woodson for now, with Chapman backing him up.  We've got Cato Nelson on the bench who looks promising.  Why bring in a transfer QB to compete and possibly force younger QBs to transfer?

8 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Why bring in a transfer QB to compete and possibly force younger QBs to transfer?

Quarterback is THE most important position on the team. Competition, injuries, unknown, etc... Never stop trying to create quality depth on your roster. If we get to the level where a player transfers out of Akron, and makes some sort of noise in FBS, we will be too busy enjoying the football team to notice. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Balsy said:

I don't think we'd be interested in Transfer QBs other than as backups.  We've got Woodson for now, with Chapman backing him up.  We've got Cato Nelson on the bench who looks promising.  Why bring in a transfer QB to compete and possibly force younger QBs to transfer?

Because we might get someone better than the other guys who are waiting in the wings to become the next starters?

We should always be looking for better talent.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Balsy said:

If the younger QB transfers, he was beaten-out by a better QB. Welcome to the real world. D1 football is big-boy ball, and coaches get paid to win. 

I don't see us picking up any grad transfer QBs as Woodson kind of has a stranglehold on the QB position, but getting a incoming Sophomore or even an incoming Junior that has to sit out a year anyways could make a lot of sense. Akron currently has 3 jr on the roster at QB, 1 senior, and 1 freshman. 4 of those 5 QBs will be gone at the end of next season. Anyone that transferred into Akron would be competing straight up with Kato for the starting job in 2018. Akron has kind of transformed itself into being a vertical passing team that should have some nice offensive weapons in 2018. It could be an attractive destination for a talented player wanting to make a name for himself but is playing behind an elite QB.