VCU

30 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Still no Victor......

A few people I know at the game have said they saw him in the stands in street clothes, which doesn't seem normal for a player who is still with the team...... Does anyone know what is going on with him?

8 minutes ago, robh91 said:

A few people I know at the game have said they saw him in the stands in street clothes, which doesn't seem normal for a player who is still with the team...... Does anyone know what is going on with him?

There are some posters who could say more. That they haven't said anything should tell you something.

9 hours ago, robh91 said:

If people saw him, why didn't they ask? Certainly Victor knows what his situation is.

Edit: It is beyond me why people post questions and conjecture and can't have the decency to talk to someone face-to-face. The guy is 1000s of miles from his family; talking to him, asking him what's going on, and conveying support, regardless of the situation, might be of some help to him. When I talk with him, he comes across as a great, caring, young man. I hope he finds it within himself to realize he has an issue and to resolve it.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

I was there.  It was indeed getting rather frustrating watching how nearly every offensive possession was somehow squandered by a bad pass.  It repeated itself so often that I was ready to take a nap.   It was a long game, and a rather small and inactive crowd.  I'd say it might be the least exciting Akron Soccer experience I've ever had.  

I haven't watched enough this year to say if this passing problem had been a constant all season.  But, I did note early this year that I thought that this team was struggling to finish when they got the ball close to the goal.  That was evident last night again as well.  

Ohio.com

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/men-s-soccer-akron-0-vcu-0-zips-yet-to-allow-a-goal-at-home-but-have-to-settle-for-tie-in-double-overtime-1.715115

Haven't read the article yet, but the headline puts a positive spin on it: "Zips yet to allow a goal at home but have to settle for tie in double overtime"

I realize I was a probably a little overboard in my "Edit" comment earlier. I think some folks did talk to Victor. I hope whatever may have been said was supportive and encouraging. I probably get overly sensitive because I take the time to talk to our players whenever I can, and they all mean a lot to me. They don't always perform as I or they would like themselves to, but they're all great guys. And when it comes to the players from outside the U.S., I'm probably even more sensitive. I can't imagine how it is to adjust to another country, it's customs, culture, etc. and at the same time pursue a college degree and play a sport so far away from family.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Heard on the radio last night we're just not connecting on passes like we have in the past.

Is this correctable?  Are these mental errors made by younger players, or is this a lack of skill that we're gonna have to just accept & get used to this year?

All Akron Zips have the necessary technique to pass; it is a highly developed skill.

That is our #1 criterion here:  Must be able to deliver and recieve passes of all sorts.

We recruit this above all other soccer attributes, including athleticism.

Passing inaccuracy is symptomatic of several things.

1)  Lack of Concentration.  Zips currently seem distracted.  Perhaps they are missing their talisman, VS8.  Either Victor must return, or he must be dismissed.  Zips need closure.

2)  Lack of Execution.  Zips are thinking the game rather than feeling the game.  The passing flow is unnatural and truncated.  Coaches need to change up practice drilling to emphasize organic ball movement.

3)  Lack of Cohesion.  How many different lineups have we seen this season?  I endorse utilizing our deep bench, but we are subbing way more than we have during any point since Ken Lolla was coach.  How many players played vs. VCU?

4)  Lack of Fitness.  Zips look tired.  I suggest using our deep bench on a match to match basis, using only 14-15 players per match, but rotating that 14-15.  In a compressed schedule, players need rest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

All Akron Zips have the necessary technique to pass; it is a highly developed skill.

That is our #1 criterion here:  Must be able to deliver and recieve passes of all sorts.

We recruit this above all other soccer attributes, including athleticism.

Passing inaccuracy is symptomatic of several things.

1)  Lack of Concentration.  Zips currently seem distracted.  Perhaps they are missing their talisman, VS8.  Either Victor must return, or he must be dismissed.  Zips need closure.

2)  Lack of Execution.  Zips are thinking the game rather than feeling the game.  The passing flow is unnatural and truncated.  Coaches need to change up practice drilling to emphasize organic ball movement.

3)  Lack of Cohesion.  How many different lineups have we seen this season?  I endorse utilizing our deep bench, but we are subbing way more than we have during any point since Ken Lolla was coach.  How many players played vs. VCU?

4)  Lack of Fitness.  Zips look tired.  I suggest using our deep bench on a match to match basis, using only 14-15 players per match, but rotating that 14-15.  In a compressed schedule, players need rest.

Great post & thank you!! (I'm out of "Likes" for the day. Lol)

2 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

One caveat to my liking of your post. We're not talking about professional players here. This is an amateur, college team as opposed to a professional team. College is a place to learn and develop. That development can occur on numerous levels. Yes, VS8 has had a number of transgressions and chances, but he has done what he needed to do each time. For whatever reason, his passion for competition reared it's ugliness again. I fully understand and agree if significantly more has been asked of him before a return this time. However, just to dismiss him would be wrong. Our other players also can learn from this to step up in the face of adversity. Life doesn't always unfold in the way you would like.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Just throwing this out there: Could this be a case of too many team members from around the world?  Our current lineup looks like a United Nations collective.

For the record, I always disliked Zip opponents in the past that heavily recruited overseas.  Many of those Hartwick teams from the Porter era had more Kiwis than New Zealand's national rugby team.

1 hour ago, zippypitt said:

Just throwing this out there: Could this be a case of too many team members from around the world?  Our current lineup looks like a United Nations collective.

For the record, I always disliked Zip opponents in the past that heavily recruited overseas.  Many of those Hartwick teams from the Porter era had more Kiwis than New Zealand's national rugby team.

Wow, this board has been quite void of discussion before today.  Today and last night, there has been some great discussion.   I still have faith in this team.    Stuart, Sam, and Jon Lewis will need some time to get acclimated to each other up front.    The 3 of them will figure it out and start putting the ball in the back of the net.   This team did not expect to face this kind of adversity.   They will have to win on the road in the round of 32 all the way to the quarters if they make the NCAA's ....but I plan on doing some traveling to see the zips in those NCAA matches.

To reply to zippypitt's observation....I would clearly say "no" that too many team members from around the world is not the problem.   This team and its players benefit greatly from experiencing different cultures and learning from soccer wisdom from those countries.   The USA kids will have better and more rounded lives going forward from playing with and learning from new Zealand players, Portugal players, Brazilian players, spanish players and australian players.   Soccer is a universal game and I like that Akron has a mixture of quality young men from many different countries.  The international players are a long way from home and they deserve our support.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TennZip said:

Wow, this board has been quite void of discussion before today.  Today and last night, there has been some great discussion.   I still have faith in this team.    Stuart, Sam, and Jon Lewis will need some time to get acclimated to each other up front.    The 3 of them will figure it out and start putting the ball in the back of the net.   This team did not expect to face this kind of adversity.   They will have to win on the road in the round of 32 all the way to the quarters if they make the NCAA's ....but I plan on doing some traveling to see the zips in those NCAA matches.

To reply to zippypitt's observation....I would clearly say "no" that too many team members from around the world is not the problem.   This team and its players benefit greatly from experiencing different cultures and learning from soccer wisdom from those countries.   The USA kids will have better and more rounded lives going forward from playing with and learning from New Zealand players, Portugal players, Brazilian players, German players, Eritrean players, English players, Canadian players, Cameroon players, Spanish players and Australian players and Irish coaches.   Soccer is a universal game and I like that Akron has a mixture of quality young men from many different countries.  The international players are a long way from home and they deserve our support and respect.

Edited by Zip_ME87

10 hours ago, zippypitt said:

No.

Futbol is the most common language ever spoken by mankind.  Verbal discourse is not nearly as important as chemistry on the pitch.

Recruiting from all corners of the world is a strength, not a weakness.

• Like 1

On September 29, 2016 at 6:26 AM, fknbuflobo said:

No.

Futbol is the most common language ever spoken by mankind.  Verbal discourse is not nearly as important as chemistry on the pitch.

Recruiting from all corners of the world is a strength, not a weakness.

Listening to you guys who are both passionate and educated about The Beautiful Game always makes me wish I understood the game on a deeper level.