Student Attendance & Marketing

ZachTheZip

On 1/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, ZZZips said:

http://bloom.bg/2iLLpXr  D-1 attendance decline

http://on.wsj.com/2jd4Ifl new pro league.....you may need a WSJ subscription.

I don't think the players will be as concerned about fans in the stands and being a BMOC as much as getting to the NFL as quickly and easily as possible.

Here is a free article: http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/4974804-151/will-the-pacific-pro-football-league-pan-out

The league would have four teams based in Southern California, both to reduce expenses and because the region has so many young players. The league would have a six-game schedule plus playoffs, and finish before the college season begins. Players would be paid an average of $50,000 in salary and benefits, including workers’ compensation, a 401(k) plan and free community college tuition.

23 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

I would expect the opposite: some of the marquee players who would have gone to the top college programs will go to the D-league instead and get paid. The NCAAF pecking order would remain the same but will be a little more watered down overall with a little more parity between the upper and lower rungs.

Good Point.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2017 at 11:39 AM, Dr Z said:

Excited to hear Matt and Larry. Hopefully they speak first so I can tune out after that. I'll try to provide some bullet points after the show. I'm assuming I can listen here.

On air now. 

• Coach explained why it's so important to recruit South Florida (I4 down). It's his area of expertise, since he has been doing it all his life. He has built relationships with many high school coaches. Too many athletes in South Florida for the amount of colleges. Those athletes have to come north because there are more schools to play at. He explained how he sells a Florida kid coming north. It's too hot during football season in the South, the North offers more tolerable weather during football season, when it's cold, they are inside. They are one of the few schools with a 100 yard indoor practice facility. 

Jimbo Fisher was coaches first QB he signed when he was coaching at Salem International.

Jim Vitaro was questioned by coach about local fishing (coaches hobby). Jim told coach that Portage lakes is a good place to fish for bass..."you got grass, you got bass." Jim told him the Cuyahoga river is good for small mouth in deeper holes. Jim explained Lake Erie is on of the best to catch small mouth, but not as good as it was 20 years ago. 

• Coach seems to be a big Matt Wilson fan. He mentioned what a great communicator he was (agree), and how many high schools he has visited since starting.

• Matt Newhouse spoke with coach. He spoke about the ESPN contract and how it effects the game times, and mentioned how they are trying to figure  out trends of the student body. He spoke of how they are going to get involved with youth football, and make them aware of Zips football. They are going to try to get some fundraisers going to help with uniforms and then get those kids and families to the game. He wants to start making kids Zips fans as early as he can. He thinks this will help with the community support, coach agreed and said what a great job KD has done with this. Matt also mentioned president Wilson and his excitement working with him. He mentioned they are still trying to figure out what to do with the JAR, and they realize it's still a big issue. Nothing to earth shattering. Matt speaks really well. 

• Coach heaps lots of praise on the basketball progrum. He loves the home atmosphere and likes to take his recruits to games. 

• Athletic director, Larry Williams. First thing he mentioned was just being on a call getting an explanation of a "bad call" that cost them a basketball game. He mentioned how they are dealing with financial issues. His challenge is to argue the value and importance of athletics. Mentioned what an impact Jatavis Brown is going to have on the world, and not just athletics. Larry asked Terry what player stood out in terms of growth, coach answered Jimbo Fisher. Then mentioned both Buddenbergs playing for him. Larry mentioned what a great socialization opportunity tailgating is during football games. Coach asked Larry about president Wilson. Larry is impressed with his vision of growing from the ground up, and doesn't think he sleeps. He can't wait to see his work start to flourish. Larry thinks president Wilson has a unique skill set and says Akron is lucky to have him.

• Terry Pluto is coming up (12:10), I'm going to have to check out. If someone wants to take over, I think the show was done well. Worth the time. 

---- I tuned back in at 1:20 ----

• Coach said the University is going to do something with Jason Taylor for his HOF induction. He doesn't know details. He said he would like to glass in a permanent locker with his jersey in it. 

• Jatavis Brown is training in the facility right now. Isaiah Williams is on the Redskins practice roster, and is also training with the team.

• He mentioned after watching Big Dog play, he thinks he could be a left tackle. He was half kidding. 

• Coach finished up by saying this was his best recruiting year, because he married an Akron girl, his now wife, Audrey.

Entertaining show, coach Bowden, Matt Newhouse, and Larry Williams are very well spoken, and represent the University well.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

---- I tuned back in at 1:20 ----

• Coach said the University is going to do something with Jason Taylor for his HOF induction. He doesn't know details. He said he would like to glass in a permanent locker with his jersey in it. 

He also said that Taylor is involved with a lot right now so he doesn't really have time to assist the football program but Bowden said he would like to work together when he has more time. The host mentioned something about using him for recruiting.  Also talked about the pull Jason Taylor has down in South Fla and how it can benefit the program. Who would have thought?!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Isaiah Williams is on the Redskins practice roster, and is also training with the team.

Good for him.  He came up to our tailgate in the early morning of a Spring Game and shook my hand and thanked us for coming out.  I was always a big fan of his after that.  

Go IW56!

9 minutes ago, LZIp said:

He also said that Taylor is involved with a lot right now so he doesn't really have time to assist the football program but Bowden said he would like to work together when he has more time. The host mentioned something about using him for recruiting.  Also talked about the pull Jason Taylor has down in South Fla and how it can benefit the program. Who would have thought?!

Picture of LZ after he broke his arm patting himself on the back.

TorronEeles_1497763c.jpg

• Like 1

I quit listening when Pluto came on and they started talking Indians baseball. I incorrectly assumed they were done talking about the Zips. Glad to hear Brown has the time to still come around and assist the football program. Him being around the other players can help aspire them to give that extra 10% to get a taste of what Brown has achieved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, skip-zip said:

:lol:

Have you ever seen that video of her chewing out the clerk in the car rental place?  Classic.  She really thinks she's a big shot.  Other than the way she looks, I don't agree.  

+1.  I love when she starts saying the stuff as if she has a skill set superior to that of others, or that the clerk was uneducated.  Clearly you weren't educated enough to know that if you go bitching out people in a public place, as a public figure, it will come to bite you in the ass.    

What McHenry did was pretty nasty. However, reading this did make me feel less negative towards her. We're all human. And I mean come on....we need something to stare at on ESPN!

http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news/a24045/espn-britt-mchenry-viral-video-apology/

Back on topic...I feel the MAC really lucked out in negotiating with ESPN before all of this went down (regardless of your feelings on weekday games). I don't think there will be near as much money thrown around in the future, especially for G5 conferences.

15 hours ago, Sergeant Zip said:

ESPN layoffs continue and could reach 100.

Some 12-million subscribers lost in 6-years is substantial, 1-million subscribers in the past two months.  Each subscriber is valued at about $7.  That's $7-million of revenue lost in a 2-month period, and $84-million over the last 6-years.  Thats kinda unbelievable.

ESPN needs to cut it's premium tie with cable, and fast IMHO.  I don't have cable myself (like an increasing number of millennials), but love ESPN.  If there was a service out there where I could pick and choose what I want (actually consume) for a lower price, I'd be all over it...ESPN being something I actually want.  But in order to get ESPN they for a long time forced you to get some sort of more expensive service where ESPN is a part of a more premium package.  Thanks, but no thanks.  Sling TV is still kinda the same deal, but at least it's $20 a month, and I can cancel it whenever I want.  

She's not on the list darn it. :-( Yeah I remember the towing incident and that didn't help my impression of her but I think she's a terrible reporter and I hate listening to her. If she didn't have that face would she have that job? Doubt it. And could this signal the start of the end of the sports bubble? Lots of ramifications here. Hey what was this topic about? :)