Student Attendance & Marketing

ZachTheZip

9 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Everyone is going to have their own streaming service for 10 bucks a month or so and we'll all be paying what we pay now to get everything we want through 8 different services and asking for a way to consolidate them all, soon enough. 

I was thinking the same thing but realized after cutting the cord that I don't even watch 1/4 of the channels bundled in cable

I would gladly pay 5-10 a month for each channel I actually watch and have them as apps on appleTV, fireTV or another streaming player.

For some it would not make sense but for me and @Balsy, it sounds like we watch exactly ZERO television that can't be found on free digital OTA

Then just 2-3 sports apps and I'm set.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

They got away from real reporting and talking about the on the field/court product.

They also first got away from showing sports...any sport....and just talking talking talking....even bowling or curling would be something, or darts, or rodeo....SOMETHING TO ACTUALLY WATCH!!!!!

56 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Kinda like when MTv went away from music.

hmmm, Music Television that actually plays music. Maybe they could show music videos or something like that...

What a novel idea :rofl:

All the "reality" tv has ruined civilization as we knew it...

And, GET OFF MY LAWN!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

$2-billion a year on Monday Night Football!?  How on Earth does that make sense!?!?!  But this stands out to me and is exactly what I've been saying:

Will ESPN be able to afford to keep the NFL and pay more money despite having lost nearly 30% of its subscriber base in the ten years of the existing MNF contract? 

This is about the LONG-TERM trend, not a momentary blip in the radar, though I could see an argument being made that plummeting ratings might be the straw that broke the camera's back...but the NFL also just plain sucks this year.

What I'm also learning is Akron and the MAC should probably quickly exit deals with ESPN, they can probably do better making their own service to stream online (which most MAC games are streamed on ESPN3 anyways, even the "weekday games" and forego having games on weekdays.

Edited by Balsy

I would guess Akron and the MAC have about as lucrative of a deal as they are going to get. They got lucky and signed a nice extension, IIRC, before all this crap hit the fan. There is a reason for all the weekday games. $$$$. If it wasn't worth it they wouldn't do it.

I forget who it was...either a team or a conference. I know I shared the article on here and I'm guessing it was C-USA, but their contracts are a joke and I BELIEVE it said something about starting their own streaming service. I wonder how that is going or if it is even up or running yet.

Edited by LZIp

18 hours ago, Balsy said:

Massive layoffs don't happen because of a week-to-week slump.  They happen because of month after month after month of slumps. 

I could tell you that it depends on a lot of other circumstances just how quickly someone takes action (see below).  But what's more important here is to note that the public's disgust over what is happening with the NFL (and it's negative impact) started last season anyway.  

On 10/29/2017 at 10:39 AM, Balsy said:

There is no way the politics of late are the reason they're laying people off.

Note that the Monday Night Football broadcast that they carry has received the brunt of the negative publicity about NFL ratings problems over the last year.   And as another example, when ESPN starts reporting about what Texans players are going to do at an upcoming game, how many of them might kneel, and what the players have to say about a common phrase uttered by the owner, that they consider "racist", they continue to put another nail in their own coffin.  

So I think you're making a big mistake by minimizing the impact that the NFL is having on ESPN.

And much more importantly (back to your point at the top), Disney isn't going to be very patient about taking action if ESPN is dragging down their stock price.   It's funny to even read reports speculating that they might even be looking to dump ESPN.   

4 hours ago, skip-zip said:

So I think you're making a big mistake by minimizing the impact that the NFL is having on ESPN.

The NFL?  No. 

The contention that the decline in viewership due to kneeling during the national anthem is what I have been disputing this whole time.  

I completely buy that the NFL is dragging down ESPN.  I don't buy ESPN is firing people as a direct result of the Kneeling is my point.

On 10/31/2017 at 4:38 AM, Balsy said:

Will ESPN be able to afford to keep the NFL and pay more money despite having lost nearly 30% of its subscriber base in the ten years of the existing MNF contrac

Guys, help me out here.  I've read about the loss of subscribers over the past year and such, but I don't know how that is determined.  I get ESPN products on my DirecTV subscription.  It is bundled together.  Even the basic DirecTV account has ESPN original.  The same I think is for the cable providers.  So how does one un-subscribe from ESPN without un-subscribing from the other products on the service providers?  Are all these people (30%???) really unplugging their entire cable or dish hook-ups?  I just can't figure how they can measure this analytic.

7 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Guys, help me out here.  I've read about the loss of subscribers over the past year and such, but I don't know how that is determined.  I get ESPN products on my DirecTV subscription.  It is bundled together.  Even the basic DirecTV account has ESPN original.  The same I think is for the cable providers.  So how does one un-subscribe from ESPN without un-subscribing from the other products on the service providers?  Are all these people (30%???) really unplugging their entire cable or dish hook-ups?  I just can't figure how they can measure this analytic.

I really don’t know this for sure but my thoughts is everyone is going to streaming.  I think that takes a lot of advertising money out of scenario.  The package I have has all the ESPN channels & almost all the sports channels & the ones you don’t have you can download the app on your Roku or fire stick but back to point is a lot of times it comes up a screen commercial in progress so it is taken big money out of there pockets but you get all the channels you want with different packages for 30-60 dollars a month compared to hundreds when you have a lot of TV’s with equipment rentals & programming, you have a 1 time fee for buying the roku or fire stick & it saves you a ton

14 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

You can buy slim streaming bundles that don't have ESPN at all. You also have people that have given up live TV altogether and get their "TV fix" solely from Netflix.

And it also probably has something to do with "seasonal" subscribers too.  I frequently cancel my Sling Service for like 4 months out of the year, when there isn't football/basketball/television shows I actually follow.  That saves me about $100 and you could probably quantify as a loss of 1/3 of a subscription for ESPN, because it's a part of my package.  With regular cable, ESPN gets a regular set $$$ from the cable companies per subscriber, I'd assume it's the same for Sling.  And if people are willy-nilly cancelling services (like I do) when you don't need/use them, then it's definitely hurting ESPN.  They probably attach the $$$ to a certain number of subscribers, thus whenever we talk about it...its not actual subscribers but instead equates to lost revenue over that time period.

• 2 weeks later...

I work nights so I DVR several shows a week to watch later. So cable works for me. I also watch a lot of Spectrum Sports lately, with their high school football coverage and Columbus (soon to be Austin) Crew. 

• 3 months later...

This guy on youtube has a pretty cool channel where he breaks down things relating to businesses.  I find it at least entertaining to listen to when I'm doing work around my apartment.  Here's one on ESPN.  I thought I'd post it here because this conversation was on the ESPN layoffs for awhile, but I think it also can expand to the larger discussion on the over-saturation of sports and it's affect on schools like ours.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ's Bod Dyer rips UA Football a new one.

But nothing he says isn't true. :(

However, he's a nasty curmudgeon who only looks for the negative when it comes to U of A.  He did a vicious hit piece on Groce a few years ago which will prove to be wrong.  I got into an email back and forth with him, and he's arrogant and hateful.  I've been happy with the ABJs recent coverage of UA, but I knew this was coming.  I don't know why he has to continue to rip on the stadium.  Nothing can be done about it now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

However, he's a nasty curmudgeon who only looks for the negative when it comes to U of A.  He did a vicious hit piece on Groce a few years ago which will prove to be wrong.  I got into an email back and forth with him, and he's arrogant and hateful.  I've been happy with the ABJs recent coverage of UA, but I knew this was coming.  I don't know why he has to continue to rip on the stadium.  Nothing can be done about it now.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ's Bod Dyer rips UA Football a new one.

But nothing he says isn't true. :(

Dyer is a lightweight 'journalist'(I apply that term laughingly to him). While it is correct that there are and have been real problems with finances at the AD and the University in general. Its old news. Dyer is only good at piling on. He has done hard hitting stories like the speed limit on I-77(lol). Its usually fluff. But thats what people who read him want. One way to shut these kind of people up!

• Like 3

Old Bob likes to swing at the low hanging fruit.  Fortunately, his average is below the Mendoza line.  He's a columnist looking for readers.  His analysis is paper thin.  I read the piece and thought "ummmmm, so what does this offer that we didn't already know?"   The stadium is bigger than they need.  Check.  Arth cost UA money.  Check.  The football team has sucked.  Check.  Thanks for all that insight Captain Obvious.

What's next, and expose on the end of the Kostelac era at UA?

• Like 3