Three for Thursday [Zips @ Kent]

Dr Z

Kent State  

35 members have voted

1. 1. How many points will the Zips win by?

2. 2. How many total offensive yards will Kent State have?

• 259 yards or less
    • 260 yards to 350 yards
    • 351 yards or more
  3. 3. How many touchdowns will Thomas Woodson throw?

This poll is closed to new votes

There is a sense of deja vu, to an event that occurred a decade ago.  We were sitting at 2-2 after a big program win against NC State, playing a very tough CMU to 3 point loss and getting rolling again against North Texas in a big blow out win.  

With the fifth game in 2006 we looked to face Kent on September 30.

On that day, the weather was in and out, rain here and there, and perhaps a little colder than it should have been for that time of year.  My wife and I just recently married had stopped at an Applebee's.  Next to us, a girl and her bf were getting out of their car at the same time.  The hippie looking girl looked over and noticed the Zippy sticker on my wife's car.  I remember that exchange like it was yesterday....

Dirty Hippie Girl: "Oh, you guys are Akron fans"

Me: "Akron graduates and fans actually"

DHG: "Oh, we play you today don't we" -opening her jacket to reveal the angry chicken mascot on her shirt

Me: "Yes we do, looking forward to it."

DHG: "We're going to win!"

Me: "Fat chance"

That was it, just a few words, but it stuck with me.  Not because of the exchange itself.  But because of what Julian Edelman did to us that day.  Killing us 37-15.  A season of high hopes as we had just won the MAC, and the season had started off with such positive momentum.  

As we approach Saturday, that fear of a repeat of that day looms heavy on me.  My heart and logic says we should be able to walk away with a mudhole stomping of the Golden Showers.  But there is something there, that voice of that Dirty Hippie Girl saying "We're going to win!" still echos in my ear.

10 years later, have we really turned the corner, have we become the team that lives up to expectations?

So much of me says yes we have, but there is that Dirty Hippie Girl still out there somewhere.

27 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

There is a sense of deja vu, to an event that occurred a decade ago.  We were sitting at 2-2 after a big program win against NC State, playing a very tough CMU to 3 point loss and getting rolling again against North Texas in a big blow out win.  

With the fifth game in 2006 we looked to face Kent on September 30.

On that day, the weather was in and out, rain here and there, and perhaps a little colder than it should have been for that time of year.  My wife and I just recently married had stopped at an Applebee's.  Next to us, a girl and her bf were getting out of their car at the same time.  The hippie looking girl looked over and noticed the Zippy sticker on my wife's car.  I remember that exchange like it was yesterday....

Dirty Hippie Girl: "Oh, you guys are Akron fans"

Me: "Akron graduates and fans actually"

DHG: "Oh, we play you today don't we" -opening her jacket to reveal the angry chicken mascot on her shirt

Me: "Yes we do, looking forward to it."

DHG: "We're going to win!"

Me: "Fat chance"

That was it, just a few words, but it stuck with me.  Not because of the exchange itself.  But because of what Julian Edelman did to us that day.  Killing us 37-15.  A season of high hopes as we had just won the MAC, and the season had started off with such positive momentum.  

As we approach Saturday, that fear of a repeat of that day looms heavy on me.  My heart and logic says we should be able to walk away with a mudhole stomping of the Golden Showers.  But there is something there, that voice of that Dirty Hippie Girl saying "We're going to win!" still echos in my ear.

10 years later, have we really turned the corner, have we become the team that lives up to expectations?

So much of me says yes we have, but there is that Dirty Hippie Girl still out there somewhere.

After years of being a Zips fan, I'm gun shy as well.  Too much awful football & too many disappointments.  A voice inside my head keeps telling me not to let myself get too excited.

But screw that!  Crush the dirty hippy future pizza delivery boys!

30 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

...because of what Julian Edelman did to us that day. Killing us 37-15.  A season of high hopes as we had just won the MAC, and the season had started off with such positive momentum. As we approach Saturday, that fear of a repeat of that day looms heavy on me.  My heart and logic says we should be able to walk away with a mudhole stomping of the Golden Showers.  But there is something there, that voice of that Dirty Hippie Girl saying "We're going to win!" still echos in my ear. 10 years later, have we really turned the corner, have we become the team that lives up to expectations? So much of me says yes we have, but there is that Dirty Hippie Girl still out there somewhere.

Funny story g-mann. I was at that game, and my memories of that day are sad, and vivid as well. Kent doesn't have anybody on offense as talented as Edelman, I think you will have better memories this year. 

3 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Funny story g-mann. I was at that game, and my memories of that day are sad, and vivid as well. Kent doesn't have anybody on offense as talented as Edelman, I think you will have better memories this year. 

I remember the time the Zips were up 45-7 in the 4th quarter and Jose Davis brought Kent back to within 45-35. Kent then on-side kicked, and came up with the ball. But the refs somehow gave it to Akron and we ran the clock out. Lots of crazy games over the years...

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remember the time the Zips were up 45-7 in the 4th quarter and Jose Davis brought Kent back to within 45-35. Kent then on-side kicked, and came up with the ball. But the refs somehow gave it to Akron and we ran the clock out. Lots of crazy games over the years...

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2003-08-28-akron.html

This is the Golden Flush comeback that still sticks in my crawl to this day.  It was the most disappointing game I have ever been a part of.  Up 14 points with 5:52 left and gave up 17 points to lose. This was the season opener, and we had ended the previous season by kicking the absolute dog crap out of Kent.  You just never know with this game.

1.  Zips will blow out the Flashes despite it being a rivalry game.  Kent has nothing to play for, the Zips will score a lot early and never look back.  

2. Zips will not repeat keeping the ball away from the Kent for an entire quarter like they did last year, but they'll still minimize the opportunities that Kent has.

3.  I am going to be wrong on this (what I actually voted).  He will score more than 4TDs.  I mean currently he has 13 TDs this season for (if we exclude wisconsin) 4.3 TDs per game.  I seriously doubt he wouldn't get at least 4 in this game as well.

2 hours ago, InTheZone said:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2003-08-28-akron.html

This is the Golden Flush comeback that still sticks in my crawl to this day.  It was the most disappointing game I have ever been a part of.  Up 14 points with 5:52 left and gave up 17 points to lose. This was the season opener, and we had ended the previous season by kicking the absolute dog crap out of Kent.  You just never know with this game.

I still have nightmares about that game.  I was looking forward to that game for a month expecting to beat K.e.nt down.  In my mind that's where Brookhart's career changed directions.  We were coming off a MAC championship & started the season well.  Then the wheels came off & we didn't ever really bounce back from that point on.

After Josh Cribbs graduated I thought, oh well, he was a once-in-a-lifetime problem the Zips would never have to deal with again... then along came Edlemann.  :(

Edited by Blue & Gold

13 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I still have nightmares about that game.  I was looking forward to that game for a month expecting to beat K.e.nt down.  In my mind that's where Brookhart's career changed directions.  We were coming off a MAC championship & started the season well.  Then the wheels came off & we didn't ever really bounce back from that point on.

Wrong Game.  He's talking about the 2003 game.  You're thinking of the 2006 game that we lost at Kent, which was under Brookhart, right after the MAC title the year before, and the big road win against North Carolina State.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I remember this one too. It went from very comfortable to pulling my hair out very quickly. I was afraid I was going to see one of the greatest meltdowns of all-time. You would never hear the end of blowing a 38 point fourth quarter lead... and to your neighboring arch rival no less.

30 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Looks like we have 0 winners this week due to Woodson not playing. Sneaky question Dr Z ;)

Nobody selected the win total, and only one person, ZippyRulz, selected the over on Kent's total offense.  

Akron beats Kent, everybody that voted is a WINNER! 

PS With Kent's defensive scheme, Woodson would have thrown 5 touchdowns.