Matt Wilson's (interim president) son James

g-mann17

2 hours ago, g-mann17 said:

Akron marathon story

So far I have been impressed with what Matt Wilson has been doing in his role as interim president.  If this is the kind of kid he raises, then his impact on the students at UA should be nothing but positive.

Fantastic story. As an (old) Hudson grad makes me just a little prouder of this kid. Considering that and the things that Matt Wilson has done in his short time as interim president, maybe that interim tag needs to be removed.  

3 hours ago, MDZip said:

Fantastic story. As an (old) Hudson grad makes me just a little prouder of this kid. Considering that and the things that Matt Wilson has done in his short time as interim president, maybe that interim tag needs to be removed.  

Not gonna happen. He doesn't have the pedigree. He is also too valuable to the Law school.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MDZip said:

3 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

Not gonna happen. He doesn't have the pedigree. He is also too valuable to the Law school.

I've heard there is a real possibility it happens. I'd imagine Hilltopper in general has better/more sources than I do, but I heard straight from somebody pretty high up at the U, obviously isn't a guarantee though.

I have heard from a former dept head at UA that Matt is a great relationship builder but has questionable strategic thinking skills. I don't know about that but I do believe that he is building a strong case for removing the interim title. Scar was devisive. Matt seems to have an ability to get the best out of everyone and get all of us pulling oars in the same direction. I'd be comfortable with him keeping the job. I place a lot of value in people who are passionate about what they do and believe in making the place better by working thru others.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I have heard from a former dept head at UA that Matt is a great relationship builder but has questionable strategic thinking skills. I don't know about that but I do believe that he is building a strong case for removing the interim title. Scar was devisive. Matt seems to have an ability to get the best out of everyone and get all of us pulling oars in the same direction. I'd be comfortable with him keeping the job. I place a lot of value in people who are passionate about what they do and believe in making the place better by working thru others.

I remember folks (including me) questioning Jim Tressel's credentials to be University President. He sure seems to be working out well at YSU. I think Matt could be fine as UA President. He's been doing very well thus far. If he's great at relationships and getting the best out of everyone, I'd suspect he could hire someone to help with the strategic thinking. Running the university isn't done by one person, but requires a team anyway.

• Like 1

We hired someone with the credentials. He's gone. Passed on someone without them, he's doing a great job at YSU. In my opinion, if he can create some unison and pride in the U and raise money, keep him. Seems like he is doing the former quite well, but I haven't heard much on the latter. 

Got this email yesterday and finally got around to reading it. Son of a bitch please take my money. It's been stated already, but can we just go ahead and get rid of that interim title? This guy is making me proud to be a Zip.

Dear Kenneth, 

With Homecoming at The University of Akron this week (Saturday, Oct. 8), I thought that it would be an ideal time to provide you with a brief update of the first three months of my interim presidency. (Naturally, we hope that you can join us for Homecoming. Click here for details.) Also, I wanted to respond to the question that I hear the most from our alumni base and supporters – "Please let me know what I can do to help UA."

OUTREACH AND EXCITEMENT

First, our progress is very encouraging. On campus, there is a definite air of optimism and renewed spirit. The greater community continues to generally express its enthusiastic support for UA. Media coverage has predominantly focused on the accomplishments of our students, faculty, and alumni. We are even attracting more community members to our on-campus events – though we would naturally love to see more (additional information is in the bullet points below). 

Every week, I make it a point to connect with students, faculty, and staff as well as our supporters, alumni, members of industry, and government officials at the local and state levels. At the same time, every week I pack boxes of Zippy cookies into my car and present them to local high school principals and guidance counselors when I visit their schools to discuss how UA can better assist our high schools and their students. At my present pace, I will visit more than 50 high schools this semester alone. This semester and next, I will also be addressing high school students across the region. Most recently, I spoke to freshmen and sophomores at Firestone High School, and will be addressing the entire student body at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School next week. 

Fortunately, faculty members have joined me in visiting high schools and sharing their specific expertise in the schools’ classrooms. Our admissions and financial counselors are actively visiting schools to explain college preparation, financial aid opportunities, the enrollment process, and related topics to students and parents. Fall semester has been very exciting.

ENROLLMENT

Our fall enrollment is 8% less than in Fall 2015. Although this presents a substantial financial challenge for us, we were able to reverse an even steeper decline due to a heroic effort by our Admissions team and others. In fact, in the two months prior to Sept. 13, we had a 4.3% uptick in overall enrollment. Two principal factors combined for much of the decline: One of our largest classes in recent years graduated in 2015-16, and new freshman enrollment fell sharply this fall to 3,442. There are several noteworthy aspects to that new freshmen enrollment:

The average GPA was 3.44, the highest average GPA in UA’s history for this cohort, and the classes’ average ACT score of 23.3 remains the same as fall 2015 cohort.

The percentage of minority students in the entering freshman class increased to 25.1% from 23.1% last year, and the percentage of out-of-state entering freshman students increased to 9.3%, from 5.7% in comparison with two years ago.

As we look to rebound from the enrollment decrease, we will be focusing substantial energy on retention and recruitment of students. All seem willing to contribute to improving student success. We will also need to tighten our belt and move forward in a fiscally prudent manner both internally and externally. I continue to hold town hall meetings with our colleges and departments to discuss our situation and invite input. 

HOW CAN I HELP?

Understanding the rich heritage of the University together with the immediate challenges before us, alumni and friends of the University constantly ask, “How can we help?” There are many ways you can contribute, and you might be surprised by their simplicity and ease. We invite you to join us in one or more of the following:

Learn more about us. The more positive news you can spread the stronger we will become. Bookmark our homepage on your computer as a fast and easy way to keep up with the latest news and stories about Akron students, faculty, programs, and sports. The more you learn about your alma mater, the prouder you will be.

Attend events on campus. Entertainment dollars spent on campus benefit our students and the University. Check out this University Calendar for easy, fast reference to events coming up on campus. If you’re a sports fan, visit the athletics page where you can keep up with every one of our Division IA teams. If you’re looking for a Broadway musical, classical concert, or other entertainment, keep the E.J. Thomas Hall link handy. here is so much to see and do on our campus.

Show your Akron pride. Help the community remember the benefits of UA by joining us for Blue & Gold Fridays. We have designated everyFriday during the academic year for staff, contract professionals, faculty, and students to wear Zips gear and Akron blue & gold to celebrate all aspects of our University. It could be as simple as placing a gold kangaroo pin on your lapel. If you own a business or store, set the example and then invite your employees to show their Akron colors. If you need Zips gear, visit the Team Shop or stop by campus and browse through the bookstores in the Student Union and the Polsky Building.

Promote UA to prospective students. Nothing matches word-of-mouth communication for persuasive power. Recommend UA to family and friends with high school students, or colleagues and coworkers who are thinking of upgrading their skills. Direct them to our homepage orAdmissions site for more information. If you’re coming to campus for a game or show, bring them along! Let them seem UA for themselves.

Link with our Career Center. Internships, co-operative education, and other forms of experiential learning are immensely beneficial to participating companies and organizations, as well as to students. Visitthe Career Services site to learn more about these programs.

Scholarship Support. If your budget permits, please contribute to ourMaking a Difference Moving Forward scholarship campaign. The most effective way for you to help students succeed is by giving to our scholarship fund. Your contribution can literally make the difference between a student dropping out or continuing on to graduation.

Encourage your elected officials to find every way possible to support UA as we look to bounce back from a period of turbulence. More than ever, we need governmental leaders to work with the University, support our mission, and assist us on all fronts. We all benefit when UA is strong and vibrant.

I want to repeat that I am very encouraged and optimistic about our future. The revitalized spirit shown throughout the campus and community is deeply inspiring. I am more convinced than ever that this extended University of Akron family can accomplish any task it unites behind.

Thank you for your continuing support. 

Sincerely,

Matthew J. Wilson
Interim President

• Like 2

On 10/4/2016 at 0:59 PM, ZachTheZip said:

University President is a position for fundraising, and being a figurehead (provided they can hire competent VPs). The real power is with the Trustees.

Many people at a public University are involved in fundraising.  It's a necessity today, more than ever.  But lets not forget that the President is the top MANAGER of a University, even if the board sets their parameters by approving the budgets.   And there's so much more to the relationship that probably doesn't need to be discussed here.   

• 2 months later...
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:37 AM, Hilltopper said:

Well, I just noticed how Hilltopper's crystal ball has gotten rather cloudy.  Could he do us all a favor, and predict that the basketball team has no chance of beating out Kent for the MAC title?  PLEASE!!! :)

Edited by Z.I.P.

On December 31, 2016 at 1:55 AM, Z.I.P. said:

Well, I just noticed how Hilltopper's crystal ball has gotten rather cloudy.  Could he do us all a favor, and predict that the basketball team has no chance of beating out Kent for the MAC title?  PLEASE!!! :)

That prediction is too vague. It leaves the door open for another MAC team such as; Buffalo, OU, or CMU to beat us. ;)

Edited by kreed5120