Game 10—Toledo Rockets

zipsoutsider

I am watching the Toledo-BYU game right now and seeing for the first time in 2016 that Toledo is not over-rated. The offense is balanced and Kareem Hunt is still a beast. We can score on the defense. We have 5 weeks to improve enough to give our offense a chance to win it. You can't overload to stop the run without paying for it against Toledo.  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm personally glad that this game is at home.  The Zips need to find a way to win this game.  They have two home games vs. Toledo and BGSU.  Ohio has already beaten both of them.  We essentially need to win out to get into the MAC C game, and it starts with beating Toledo.  The ZIPS and the BOBKITTENS are still in control if they're own destiny.  

We suck on defense...both run and pass.  If you guys don't rack up over 500 yards and 30+ points then shame on you...

Our offense is explosive but we're not unstoppable.  Kareem Hunt may be considered the king of MAC running backs but he has regressed quite a bit.  Basically, he hits the hole, spins, then jukes twice to gain only 3 yards.  Our backups are more lethal...Swanson and Moore.  Then again our coaching staff is in love with Hunt.

We have 4 explosive receivers but sometimes playcalling or drops hinder us from scoring.  

Our returner #4 Corey Jones is good for one fumble or one poorly fielded return.  When it happens, it'd be in your best interest to capitalize on it

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, msopher said:

We suck on defense...both run and pass.  If you guys don't rack up over 500 yards and 30+ points then shame on you...

Our offense is explosive but we're not unstoppable.  Kareem Hunt may be considered the king of MAC running backs but he has regressed quite a bit.  Basically, he hits the hole, spins, then jukes twice to gain only 3 yards.  Our backups are more lethal...Swanson and Moore.  Then again our coaching staff is in love with Hunt.

We have 4 explosive receivers but sometimes playcalling or drops hinder us from scoring.  

Our returner #4 Corey Jones is good for one fumble or one poorly fielded return.  When it happens, it'd be in your best interest to capitalize on it

Sounds like the over/under on points should be around 90 then

You guys don't understand.  Toledo's defense is horrible.  I know you guys have a good running game and if your qb has the capability to throw 20 yds downfield within a few feet of a receiver you will do just fine on offense.  You guys will score close to or more than 30 pts Wed night

Sure, Toledo could win.  Our offense is awesome when things are rolling.  But, if you're able to slow down the run and make us one dimensional, that hinders our passing game.  Truth be told, we haven't had a solid passing attack since BYU but we are good and fast.

Again, kick to Corey Jones...he fumbles and drops balls frequently...

Edited by msopher

6 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

The Zips are an eight and a half point underdog. The weather looks to be great (High 76 with 10 percent chance of rain) for November. Hopefully the Indians can win on Tuesday so there isn't a game 7 conflict for some.

I remember that super cold game against UMass two years ago, where it was like 20-some degrees.  Most of us were in the Suites, and I'm sure there were more in the Club Level.  But, I think you would count less than 1,000 in the stands, and probably much less when it turned into a blowout in our favor.  

Even though the weather on Wednesday will be perfect, if the Indians are still playing, I sadly predict a crowd even smaller than the UMass game.

2 hours ago, msopher said:

You guys don't understand.  Toledo's defense is horrible.  I know you guys have a good running game and if your qb has the capability to throw 20 yds downfield within a few feet of a receiver you will do just fine on offense.  You guys will score close to or more than 30 pts Wed night

Sure, Toledo could win.  Our offense is awesome when things are rolling.  But, if you're able to slow down the run and make us one dimensional, that hinders our passing game.  Truth be told, we haven't had a solid passing attack since BYU but we are good and fast.

Again, kick to Corey Jones...he fumbles and drops balls frequently...

I think you are the one that doesn't understand. Toledo defense might be bad (ranked 42nd in total defense which doesn't sound terrible), but Akron's defense is perhaps the worst in FBS bad or at least close to it. Akron is giving up 483 ypg which is good for 118th in the country and is over 100 more yards per game allowed than Toledo. Akron is giving up 228 ypg on the ground. Even when they know their opponent is going to run, they haven't been able to stop it. I don't see that somehow changing this week.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

Zips Hope to Rebound from Disappointing Loss to Buffalo

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/university-of-akron-football-zips-hope-to-rebound-from-disappointing-loss-to-buffalo-1.723668

The Zips (5-4, 3-2 MAC) can blame their glaring inconsistency for their current situation. Given the number of losses on both sides of the ball after last season and a couple of significant injuries this season, it shouldn’t be surprising.

How will the Zips stop the run? To date, every decent team we've played...and most not-so-decent teams...have gouged the Zips run defense.

Zips offense can't go 1-&-out like we did last week. It's one of those "first-one-to-50 wins" games. I hope Woodson's shoulder is ok. And perhaps TB surprises us with a Warren Ball sighting.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

How will the Zips stop the run? To date, every decent team we've played...and most not-so-decent teams...have gouged the Zips run defense.

Add to this:  If I was the coach of a team playing the Zips, we would have gotten gouged a lot more because I wouldn't stop running until the Zips could stop it.  And they can't stop it.  We traded Cody Grice, Rodney Coe, Daryl Monroe, Dylan Evans and Jatavis Brown for what we have out there on the field now.  There is no comparison.  Whatsoever.  Not only were these 5 guys a lot better players than what we have out there now, they provided something that the defense has absolutely none of right now.  Leadership.  It's a bitter pill to swallow and I have lamented the fact this entire season but the defense is a mess.  This defense is as bad as Ianello's defenses were.  The only thing that camouflages that a little bit is that the offense isn't totally offensive like it was under Ianello.  A lot of people have thrown Coach Amato under the bus this year, but you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. 

• Like 1