Akron-Kent Game Day Blog

36 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I was able to get a close-up look at Saturday's epic match up. With no Dr.Z available for photography, I tried my best to get some shots to go along with the story. Here's how it went...

Akron-Kent Game Day

Loved it. :) Thanks for taking the time to put all of that together even without your star photo-journalist to help. Love getting the perspective from someone who was there for one I am not able to attend myself. Pretty incredible game.  

Great job!  Reading this helped me re-live the game all over again.  In fact, I think I might watch it again right now! :rock:

And this was hilarious:

Joe Dunn’s “Moving A” logo jacket is from 1995. Maybe earlier? It kinda stands out because it’s from the era when we had the same colors as Kent. Open that wallet and buy some “Z” gear, Joe. It’s 2016. 

42 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

And this was hilarious:

Joe Dunn’s “Moving A” logo jacket is from 1995. Maybe earlier? It kinda stands out because it’s from the era when we had the same colors as Kent. Open that wallet and buy some “Z” gear, Joe. It’s 2016. 

Very funny.  Actually, the "Moving A" started on a Gold helmet, after Gerry got us into a Notre Dame type look.  So, that dates back to the late 80's.  But after Elliott took over as president in the early 90s, we ventured back to the "yellow gold", and the "Moving A" went along with it.  And actually, it changed a bit too.  At one time, the "moving" part was a series of horizontal lines.  Later (I think when it went on the yellow helmets), the "moving" part became a solid color.  

Thanks so much for the write-up Capt. I could not attend and you helped me capture some of the atmosphere of a great game. I appreciate all the time you took to do it right. If we start a fund to get Joe Dunn some new jacket gear count me in. i know Joe and he is a good guy.  

1 hour ago, 72 Roo said:

Thanks so much for the write-up Capt. I could not attend and you helped me capture some of the atmosphere of a great game. I appreciate all the time you took to do it right. If we start a fund to get Joe Dunn some new jacket gear count me in. i know Joe and he is a good guy.  

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Great job!  Reading this helped me re-live the game all over again.  In fact, I think I might watch it again right now! :rock:

And this was hilarious:

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Very funny.  Actually, the "Moving A" started on a Gold helmet, after Gerry got us into a Notre Dame type look.  So, that dates back to the late 80's.  But after Elliott took over as president in the early 90s, we ventured back to the "yellow gold", and the "Moving A" went along with it.  And actually, it changed a bit too.  At one time, the "moving" part was a series of horizontal lines.  Later (I think when it went on the yellow helmets), the "moving" part became a solid color.  

That is Joes lucky coat, we never lose when he wears that coat. BTW, it's a block A logo not a moving A. 71, don't worry Joe has plenty of Zips gear including the most current items.B)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

it's a block A logo not a moving A.

During what time frame? Are you talking about when it changed from showing the vertical lines to being a solid color backdrop?  Because, prior to that, everyone called it the Moving A.   I actually don't remember that someone started calling it anything else after the change, but maybe that's right.  

11 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Those uni's are my first memories of the Zips.  I remember seeing pictures of those uni's in the Beacon Journal & during an occasional Zips game with my father.  I remember actually being more than a little upset when they made the awful change to yellow.  (Wasn't Lee Owens responsible for that?)

Edited by Blue & Gold

13 hours ago, LosAngelesZipFan said:

That was an awesome write up...  I just sobered up from the last game I went to at Dix in like 1990 or 91.

I have to say that our band sounds really good and loud at times... did the band expand in size?   That must add to the atmosphere...

The band did expand, as the past president was a BIG fan of marching band.  He authorized quite a bit more money for the band program, some of which was used to offer everyone in marching band a small scholarship.  From a separate donation, the band also finally got new uniforms last year (their previous ones were bought around 96/97).  From what I hear, there are over 70 alumni signed up to come back for the game this weekend and march this year.  I'm one of them, and looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, infofan said:

Not sure how UPS, a corporate sponsor of both Kent and Akron felt about that flyover! I for one hope the powers that be learned from saturdays game day atmosphere and schedule next years game in late september/early october and NOT November.

I believe FedEx just donated $1.5 million to Kent for their aviation school.