Is it too soon to start discussing Zips basketball?

kreed5120

2 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

This must have been what Dambrot was alluding to yesterday when he said big name teams are willing to come to the JAR to scrimmage us, but they have no desire to play us in the regular season at home nor away 

The fact that Beilein spoke just before Dambrot at Nike Coaches Clinic could have been either a nice coincidence, or they discussed this in between the two sessions. People closer to the program can probably say more about this, but I think the Coaches Clinic played a part of Michigan coming to scrimmage us at the JAR.

Edited by mes102

11 minutes ago, mes102 said:

The fact that Beilein spoke just before Dambrot at Nike Coaches Clinic could have been either a nice coincidence, or they discussed this in between the two sessions. People closer to the program can probably say more about this, but I think the Coaches Clinic played a part of Michigan coming to scrimmage us at the JAR.

He said at media day that over the summer a Michigan assistant asked him if Akron completed its schedule, which he responded yes. Dambrot asked him about Michigan's and they said they had 1 buy game left to schedule. Dambrot said he offered to drop a game and let Michigan buy them. The Michigan assistant said he wasn't interested in buying Akron.

I'm guessing this is when the scrimmage was scheduled.

On 10/5/2016 at 7:22 AM, Blue & Gold said:

It's about time for some new uni's for the basketball progrum, right?  

Our FB progrum has the most beautiful uni's in all of football! :rock: 

(Save the San Diego Chargers.)

I sure hope we get at least one uniform that is blue and gold. I get the alternate uni trend, but it's ridiculous that the men's BB team doesn't have one uni that is the school colors. (I'd like to see some gold pants on the FB team, too.)

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 2

I realize B1G schools won't come play at Akron.  I don't blame them; just like I wouldn't want to play @ YSU in football - too much to lose & nothing to gain against a pretty tough opponent.  I get it, Coach D.

But that's what you call a red herring when it comes to discussing our weak OOC home slate.  No one is asking to see Michigan or Ohio State at The JAR.  We're simply, and rightfully, asking for solid mid-major opponents.

Here is our OOC home slate, followed by a a handful of mid-major opponents who are very likely in the same scheduling dilemma we are:

American University........................ instead, how about James Madison, or Old Dominion, or Charlotte?

Radford.......................................... instead, how about Illinois State, Southern Illinois, or Indiana State?

Ga. Southern (I'll take that one!)

Adrian.............................................okay, our annual small school game.  That's cool.  But why don't we just stick with the locals: Malone, Walsh & Mount Union?  give them & their fans a chance to play in the JAR - maybe we'll expose some more locals to Zips athletics?  If we treat them well maybe we'll end the night with 1000 more Zips fans.  Additionally, it would force the Canton Repository to give us coverage (which they seem to loathe doing).  Geographically, Akron's in the southern part of Summit County.  Consequently, most of the suburbs south of town are in Stark County & read the Rep as opposed to the Beacon. (Compared with the self-loathing ABJ, the Rep does a far superior job of creating a sense of community amongst the southern, Stark County suburbs.)

Coppin State..................................instead, how about St. Bonaventure, George Mason, George Washington, or La Salle?  South Alabama?  UL-Lafayette?  Louisiana Tech?

Marshall (I'll take that one!)

Again, Zips fans aren't asking UA to bring any B1G or ACC schools to the JAR.  So don't use those schools as appropriate anecdotes.  They're completely irrelevant to the conversation we want to have concerning scheduling.  We're not asking for the moon.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I realize B1G schools won't come play at Akron.  I don't blame them; just like I wouldn't want to play @ YSU in football - too much to lose & nothing to gain against a pretty tough opponent.  I get it, Coach D.

But that's what you call a red herring when it comes to discussing our weak OOC home slate.  No one is asking to see Michigan or Ohio State at The JAR.  We're simply, and rightfully, asking for solid mid-major opponents.

Here is our OOC home slate, followed by a a handful of mid-major opponents who are very likely in the same scheduling dilemma we are:

American University........................ instead, how about James Madison, or Old Dominion, or Charlotte?

Radford.......................................... instead, how about Illinois State, Southern Illinois, or Indiana State?

Ga. Southern (I'll take that one!)

Adrian.............................................okay, our annual small school game.  That's cool.  But why don't we just stick with the locals: Malone, Walsh & Mount Union?  give them & their fans a chance to play in the JAR - maybe we'll expose some more locals to Zips athletics?  If we treat them well maybe we'll end the night with 1000 more Zips fans.  Additionally, it would force the Canton Repository to give us coverage (which they seem to loathe doing).  Geographically, Akron's in the southern part of Summit County.  Consequently, most of the suburbs south of town are in Stark County & read the Rep as opposed to the Beacon. (Compared with the self-loathing ABJ, the Rep does a far superior job of creating a sense of community amongst the southern, Stark County suburbs.)

Coppin State..................................instead, how about St. Bonaventure, George Mason, George Washington, or La Salle?  South Alabama?  UL-Lafayette?  Louisiana Tech?

Marshall (I'll take that one!)

Again, Zips fans aren't asking UA to bring any B1G or ACC schools to the JAR.  So don't use those schools as appropriate anecdotes.  They're completely irrelevant to the conversation we want to have concerning scheduling.  We're not asking for the moon.

At the media day press conference Dambrot said Akron can bring in solid mid-major teams like Middle Tennessee yet I don't see those teams on this years schedule...It should be noted that Radford and American are coming to Akron as part of the Savannah Invitational so I'll give them a a pass on those 2 games, however, I was disappointed they couldn't land themselves in a better early season tournament.

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Looks as though Akron men's team already has 8 televised games and will likely add a several more via flex scheduling.

http://www.gozips.com/sports/mbkb/2016-17/releases/20161019nr12sk

Looks like we're finally one of the schools that has the equipment ready for ESPN3 streaming. The article mentions 11 out of the 12 schools are ready. Wonder who's missing? 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Looks like we're finally one of the schools that has the equipment ready for ESPN3 streaming. The article mentions 11 out of the 12 schools are ready. Wonder who's missing? 

Someone correct me if I was wrong, but I believe last year it was 10/12 teams producing games. Wanting to say it was Akron and Kent that hadn't made the transition. If Akron made the transition that means Kent is the lone team left.

Edited by kreed5120

2 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

After the debacle in Canada last night I am now officially ready for hoops. I am excited by the solid character of this team and especially the headiness of our guards. Expecting a big, big, big season.

Only 4 months until we lose a heartbreaker in the MAC tourney or make a quick 1st round exit at the Big Dance.

5 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

Maybe it wasn't that great and we're not a "potential sweet sixteen" team this year.

I had to laugh at this.

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Only 4 months until we lose a heartbreaker in the MAC tourney or make a quick 1st round exit at the Big Dance.

But I had to laugh when I saw this also.  I just wonder how you get excited about the basketball season if you already resign yourself to this expected outcome.  

18 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

CBT has us ranked 10th among mid-majors for whatever that's worth.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/10/31/2016-17-mid-major-power-rankings/

Did we get a new player this year?  ANTONIO Jackson? :rolleyes:

I'll be biased and say that I'd like our chances against most of those teams listed ahead of us.  

On 11/1/2016 at 0:21 PM, skip-zip said:

I'll be biased and say that I'd like our chances against most of those teams listed ahead of us.  

I feel we'd definitely have a good chance at beating some of the teams listed ahead of us including Chattanooga, UT Arlington and Long Beach State. Would love to get some of them on a future OOC schedule.

On 11/1/2016 at 0:21 PM, skip-zip said:

That's "Antonio Jackson Jr. !" according to the play by play excerpt in the Zips basketball commercial playing on WKNR. Geez, does anybody listen to these things after they're recorded?

11 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

He has us at 21 regular season wins. We should be able to get to 9-10 OOC wins fairly easily. Barring injury I can't see us going 11-7 or worse in conference play. I'd take the over on that win total and say we win 23 regular season games.