Potential transfer targets

LZIp

Since we are well known for taking on transfers, I wanted to start a thread tracking potential players of interest. Sort of like the HS player thread that I believe Cap'n started.

We have James King, John Semerene, Jelani Hamilton, and Larry Hope all on the roster from Miami which makes it seem like we have a pretty strong connection there somewhere. We also have Alvin Davis and Jelani Hamilton as St. Thomas Aquinas grads on the roster.

Which leads me to.... freshman 4 star WR Sam Bruce from St. Thomas Aquinas who was released today from Miami for "multiple violations of team rules".

Link to 247: http://247sports.com/Player/Sam-Bruce-23288

Senior highlight video: http://www.prepforce.com/video/8416

I hope him and Alvin are good buddies B)

• Like 1

Did some reading around and it seems he was suspended in college for an incident in HS where he had a picture of him holding a gun. The gun photo apparently scared some programs like FSU and OSU away. I cannot speculate on the photo because I cannot find, but I do know there is nothing illegal about posting a picture holding a gun. The final straw seemed to be that he broke his leg playing basketball and tried lying to the coaching staff about it.

Seems like he has maturity issues at worst.

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Did some reading around and it seems he was suspended in college for an incident in HS where he had a picture of him holding a gun. The gun photo apparently scared some programs like FSU and OSU away. I cannot speculate on the photo because I cannot find, but I do know there is nothing illegal about posting a picture holding a gun. The final straw seemed to be that he broke his leg playing basketball and tried lying to the coaching staff about it.

Seems like he has maturity issues at worst.

Sounds liked he was trying to intimidate another student with the photo.

"Bruce made the photo of himself with the weapon because of a dispute with a former Aquinas male student, a dispute centered around Bruce’s ex-girlfriend," Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald reported. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2668708-sam-bruce-dismissed-by-miami-latest-comments-and-reaction

Bowden seems to have the nose for when to take a risk on a kid and when not to take that risk. I am sure he would get the scoop on the kid. I am not sure anyone would have had the success we have had with the transfers.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Two OSU lineman are reportedly transferring today. Unfortunately looks like none are coming to Akron, but there are supposed to be more players leaving. Hopefully Fickell doesn't steal our "pipeline" of OSU cast offs. Lets hope we can get someone.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/01/79066/ohio-state-offensive-lineman-kyle-trout-will-transfer-from-program-per-report

On 1/7/2017 at 7:57 PM, LZIp said:

Two OSU lineman are reportedly transferring today. Unfortunately looks like none are coming to Akron, but there are supposed to be more players leaving. Hopefully Fickell doesn't steal our "pipeline" of OSU cast offs. Lets hope we can get someone.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/01/79066/ohio-state-offensive-lineman-kyle-trout-will-transfer-from-program-per-report

Fickell lands a big transfer from OSU...

On 1/7/2017 at 8:19 PM, ZachTheZip said:

I'm not sure Fickell remains in the good graces of the OSU community following his season as interim head coach.

He looked like a "deer in headlights" on the sidelines, trying to be a head coach.  It was comical.  

On 1/7/2017 at 7:57 PM, LZIp said:

If we're fighting with Cincinnati over the same players, shouldn't we consider that a good thing?  I'm sure his relationships with some of those players will be an advantage, even if they recall that his previous tenure as a head coach was a flop.  

Edited by skip-zip

8 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

If we're fighting with Cincinnati over the same players, should we consider that a good thing?  I'm sure his relationships with some of those players will be an advantage, even if they recall that his previous tenure as a head coach was a flop.  

We fight with every school over players. It is only a good thing if we win those transfers, which we have not yet.

7 minutes ago, LZIp said:

We fight with every school over players. It is only a good thing if we win those transfers, which we have not yet.

I edited my post.  Didn't want that to be misunderstood, but I used the word "should" and should have said "shouldn't".  I meant to convey that it's not a bad thing to be fighting with Cincinnati over the same players, if that's the case. 

6 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I edited my post.  Didn't want that to be misunderstood, but I used the word "should" and should have said "shouldn't".  I meant to convey that it's not a bad thing to be fighting with Cincinnati over the same players, if that's the case. 

That's assuming we were on his radar in the 1st place. What's a good sign is when we are able to beat out Cincy for a recruit/transfer that they actually want. I think that's the message you were wanting to try to convey.

Kentucky's leading receiver is looking to graduate transfer. No clue of the details, but it does seem we have some sort of connection there with Snodgrass and Krok (even though he never showed up).

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/receiving-yardage-leader-badet-will-transfer-kentucky?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP_Top25

Clemson RB Tyshon Dye is looking to graduate transfer. Former 4 star RB who has had injury riddled career. I don't think we have gotten any Clemson transfer during Bowden's tenure, but there is at least one obvious connection there in that Dabo was on Tommy's staff. Wouldn't mind this guy if Ball is not back. Why the heck is it taking so long for him to get word anyways?

https://clemson.rivals.com/news/tyshon-dye-to-transfer

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I don't think we have gotten any Clemson transfer during Bowden's tenure, but there is at least one obvious connection there in that Dabo was on Tommy's staff.

I was wondering if anyone else knew this.  

Tommy brought Dabo to Clemson after he was part of an entire staff that got let go from Alabama, and was completely out of coaching for 2 years.  

So, I wonder if Dabo is thanking Tommy today for the National Championship trophy he's holding?

Edited by skip-zip

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Please, no more injury-prone 5th year transfers unless they walk on.

I get where you're coming from, but it won't be pretty if Van Edwards is RB1 going into next year. While I like Suggs and Bridges, banking on a true freshman seems a tad risky.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:14 PM, LZIp said:

I get where you're coming from, but it won't be pretty if Van Edwards is RB1 going into next year. While I like Suggs and Bridges, banking on a true freshman seems a tad risky.

I am not sure why there is so much criticism for Edwards. I thought he performed fairly well for an offense that revolves around the pass. He isn't Ball, I will concede that, but he is at worst, an average MAC RB. He might not rank with Ball, Kareem Hunt, and the upper echelon, but he isn't terrible. There were games where he and Morgan were able to pick up around 5 yds a carry.