Potential transfer targets

LZIp

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 5:17 PM, skip-zip said:

I was wondering if anyone else knew this.  

Tommy brought Dabo to Clemson after he was part of an entire staff that got let go from Alabama, and was completely out of coaching for 2 years.  

So, I wonder if Dabo is thanking Tommy today for the National Championship trophy he's holding?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I am not sure why there is so much criticism for Edwards. I thought he performed fairly well for an offense that revolves around the pass. He isn't Ball, I will concede that, but he is at worst, an average MAC RB. He might not rank with Ball, Kareem Hunt, and the upper echelon, but he isn't terrible. There were games where he and Morgan were able to pick up around 5 yds a carry. 

I agree with just about everything you're saying here, except that you seem to be comparing Ball to Kareen Hunt as both being upper echelon MAC backs?  Unless he ever plays or does something, it's all potential.  Nobody in the MAC surely even cares about Ball this point.  They haven't seen him, and they haven't played against him either.  

44 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I agree with just about everything you're saying here, except that you seem to be comparing Ball to Kareen Hunt as both being upper echelon MAC backs?  Unless he ever plays or does something, it's all potential.  Nobody in the MAC surely even cares about Ball this point.  They haven't seen him, and they haven't played against him either.  

That's fair.

15 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I am not sure why there is so much criticism for Edwards. I thought he performed fairly well for an offense that revolves around the pass. He isn't Ball, I will concede that, but he is at worst, an average MAC RB. He might not rank with Ball, Kareem Hunt, and the upper echelon, but he isn't terrible. There were games where he and Morgan were able to pick up around 5 yds a carry. 

Van Edwards is a bottom of the rung MAC running back. He wouldn't start for several NE Ohio high school teams. 

16 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Van has decent speed, but not elite i don't think. It seems like he ran right into the back of a lineman for no or little gain on the majority of his carries though. Doesn't create anything, poor vision, and doesn't break tackles. His success comes when he has a hole. Maybe a formidable 3rd down back. I actually can't recall how his receiving skills are. Doesn't seem like we pass to the back out of the backfield much anyways. I just do not see him as a lead back at all. Don't mean to be critical, but others I watch the Zips with seem to notice as well.

Edited by LZIp

10 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Van has decent speed, but not elite i don't think. It seems like he ran right into the back of a lineman for no or little gain on the majority of his carries though. Doesn't create anything, poor vision, and doesn't break tackles. His success comes when he has a hole. Maybe a formidable 3rd down back. I actually can't recall how his receiving skills are. Doesn't seem like we pass to the back out of the backfield much anyways. I just do not see him as a lead back at all. Don't mean to be critical, but others I watch the Zips with seem to notice as well.

Now that you say that, I remember some of those instance. Saying he wouldn't start for high schools is a bit over the top, IMHO, though.

I actually thought Manny Morgan had better field vision.

46 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Now that you say that, I remember some of those instance. Saying he wouldn't start for high schools is a bit over the top, IMHO, though.

I actually thought Manny Morgan had better field vision.

Would he have started for Akron East this year?

12 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

What is ridiculous is the university of akrons starting running back is maybe the 5th best high school running back in Akron. THAT is ridiculous 

Technically was the back up behind Ball but I'm not sure I agree its that ridiculous even though I would like better. There are some talented players in Akron and it is not uncommon at all for freshman to come in and dominate (meaning they too were obviously better than X universities previous starter).

1 hour ago, infofan said:

Just wondering....Did Warren Ball officially request a medical redshirt for a 6th year or was that just a rumor late in the season?

Nobody knows for sure, at least publicly...I think someone on here thought it sounded likely it would be granted.  It would be great to have an actual reporter covering the team. I wonder if a student would be interested in interning for Zn.O ?!

Edited by LZIp

Brenon Thrift, ILB, TE 6' 3" 290 lbs

Graduated Gateway HS, Monroeville, PA (2014)

Temple, Lackawana JUCO, PSU

He redhsirted his freshman year at Temple (2014) , played his sophomore year at Lackawana,(2015)  and then 2016 at PSU (no action.) 

At PSU, he was a RS Junior with 2 years of eligibility left. Seems like he would have to sit out. Would he need an exception? You have 5 years to complete 4 years, correct?

Penn State Football: DT Transfers Out Of Program As CB Transfers In

Report: Penn State DL Brenon Thrift no longer with program

His Twitter says he is part of PSU's class of 2019.

We can probably do better, but he might add some depth.