Ulysees Gilbert [NFL Steelers]

zipsoutsider

UG5 didn't have his own thread yet?!  

For shame.

6'1" 225 heat seeking missile!

I took a friend to a game Jatavis Brown's sophomore season & he mentioned how Jatavis really stood out to him.

UG5 is really beginning to stick out on the field.

I love how we can have conversations about who we think our next NFL linebacker will be!  Linebacker U!  Penn State is green with envy.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

UG5 didn't have his own thread yet?!  

For shame.

6'1" 225 heat seeking missile!

I took a friend to a game Jatavis Brown's sophomore season & he mentioned how Jatavis really stood out to him.

UG5 is really beginning to stick out on the field.

I love how we can have conversations about who we think our next NFL linebacker will be!  Linebacker U!  Penn State is green with envy.

And don't forget about Justin March.  Part of the same linebacker crew.   I remember back in 2013 when March and Mizell seemed to be getting all of the publicity.  But at the end of the season, Jatavis got the top accolades.  He may have emerged pretty unnoticed that year by many, but obviously the rest of the league certainly felt his impact.  Now today, at the same position and same year in school (So.), Gilbert might be making the same impact.  But he's also getting the early attention to go with it. 

Back in September, I was sitting in a restaurant in Madison Wisconsin talking to Badger fans, and they were asking questions about our team.  Their eyes really got big when I told them that we recently lost TWO linebackers to the NFL.  That was a pretty proud moment for me.  

So, I'm with you......AKRON is the new LINEBACKER U.  :rock:

• 2 years later...

Shannon White gives the the Steelers an A for picking Ulysees. "Ulysees gets an A grade due to his coverage abilities and the need for his particular skill set on the team. Much smaller learning curve"

From the Post-Gazette: The four new linebackers are all smaller in stature, possess the speed and athleticism to play in pass coverage and offer versatility. Gilbert (6-0, 224) is small for a linebacker, but he ran a 4.48 at the NFL Scouting Combine. And like Smith, he was an effective playmaker in the Mid-American Conference. “We think Ulysees can compete for special teams play, as well as give us the new type of athleticism that you look for,” said general manager Kevin Colbert, who also noted Gilbert might be able to play inside and outside. “That’s where the game is going,” inside linebackers coach Jerry Olsavsky said.

• Like 1

• Dr Z changed the title to Ulysees Gilbert [NFL Steelers]

Way too early predictions have UG3 making the 53 man roster

Inside Linebacker (5)

Dave: Vince Williams, Mark Barron, Devin Bush, Tyler Matakevich, Ulysses Gilbert III

Analysis: They carry five players with Gilbert because of special teams value. He’ll battle with Matakevich for a game-day helmet. 

Jeff: Analysis: If there is a shock here it would be Matakevich getting cut if Gilbert shows out. But for what Matakevich lacks in talent, he makes up for in awareness and brains. I don’t see him getting cut.

------------------------------------

Dr Z: Analysis: I've watched more of Matakevich in a Steeler uniform, and Gilbert in a Zips uniform than most. I'll be shocked if Gilbert doesn't provide more value to the Steelers from day one, than Matakevich every did. Tomlin craves, what he calls "splash" plays, this is exactly what Gilbert will bring when he steps on the field. The speed between the two is not comparable, and will favor Gilbert. 

• Like 4

Spotlight: Akron LB Ulysees Gilbert The writer probably knows less about Gilbert than most ZN members, but I like his intent. 

I think the writer misses, work ethic, and film study in his list. This comment is uninformed for many reasons, "Yeah, those are MAC stats, but at least he proved he can dominate lesser competition" If I were motivated to respond to him, I could come up with a list of players from the MAC that had better stats in the NFL than they did in college, and come up with players that had better stats in college from the SEC than they did in the NFL. I'm hoping Ulysees proves the writer to be off course with his comment. 

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Spotlight: Akron LB Ulysees Gilbert The writer probably knows less about Gilbert than most ZN members, but I like his intent. 

I think the writer misses, work ethic, and film study in his list. This comment is uninformed for many reasons, "Yeah, those are MAC stats, but at least he proved he can dominate lesser competition" If I were motivated to respond to him, I could come up with a list of players from the MAC that had better stats in the NFL than they did in college, and come up with players that had better stats in college from the SEC than they did in the NFL. I'm hoping Ulysees proves the writer to be off course with his comment. 

I would think the writer should be well aware of MAC players having better stats in the NFL versus their college stats. The Steelers have probably had more of them on their team over the past 15 years than most.

• 5 weeks later...

Top 4 candidates for steal of the Steelers draft according to Curt Popejoy.

Everyone knows about the big names from the Pittsburgh Steelers 2019 NFL draft. But who will be the steal from this class? Here are our four top candidates.

LB Ulysees Gilbert III

If we were ranking these guys, Gilbert might be our top choice. Despite being a sixth-round pick, Gilbert is in a position on the Steelers to have a rookie impact on special teams as well as a sub-package linebacker. His speed and athleticism make him a candidate to play inside and outside and with the Steelers depth at linebacker, we could see him on the field early.

ug54.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UGIII got in the game in the first quarter against KC, and got to play with a few starters. Didn't miss a beat. He had four solo tackles and was very active around the ball. Split out wide once in coverage. I only got to see the first half, they switched the game to the Dallas game at half. I'll have to catch a replay this week. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 9:59 AM, zipsoutsider said:

Pretty cool that the top 3 rookies on the list are MAC players. Diontae Johnson and Tuzar Skipper are Toledo products. The Steelers have had a lot of success with MAC players. Big Ben and Jack Lambert being the most notable, obviously. Ulysees looks like a lock to make the roster. Too bad the Browns couldn't have grabbed him. 

11 hours ago, you am i said:

Pretty cool that the top 3 rookies on the list are MAC players. Diontae Johnson and Tuzar Skipper are Toledo products. The Steelers have had a lot of success with MAC players. Big Ben and Jack Lambert being the most notable, obviously. Ulysees looks like a lock to make the roster. Too bad the Browns couldn't have grabbed him. 

And a guy named Antonio Brown.