Ulysees Gilbert [NFL Steelers]

zipsoutsider

Nice article by Brooke Pryor

The chronic pain radiating in his hip area and lower back told him something was wrong, but it was also a pain the rookie had felt on and off since college.

"The linebacker room got real small, real quick," Gilbert said. "And then you just think to yourself, ‘This is my time. I've got to do something to get on the field.' It's really up to me what I want to do. I've got to control what I can control and at the end of the day, if I do those things, I'm hoping I'll be able to play or help Devin [Bush] and Vince [Williams] with the snaps. That's my goal."

Gilbert III Suffered Fractured Vertebra In 2019

r700992_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=1140&cqualit

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Not sure how this happened. I'm a little disappointed.

I can't imagine Allen playing ILB better than Gilbert in any kind of world.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm guessing I'll be posting an updated chart in the near future reading so. 

steelers-2020-week-1-depth-chart.jpg

Let's hope that the Steelers do not appreciate him and he ends up with the Browns!!!!!!!

I'm guessing the answer is offensive personnel groups in the early part of the schedule. By the time they play Philly and the Browns, who will run the least 11 personnel grouping in the league, and the most 12 personnel,  UGIII will be getting snaps. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tomlin in a presser right after the game. 

"If Devin does have to be down for a while, [players] will be called to step up. He will be among them. Gilbert will be among them. Marcus Allen will be among them. We'll put together a formula that'll allow us to function in the interim. Believe it."

• Like 1

From today’s press conference: Later, Tomlin was asked about the availability of inside linebacker Ulysees Gilbert, who was inactive for four of the first five games and then was unavailable for last Sunday's game in Baltimore with a back injury. An issue with his back also hampered Gilbert for a large portion of his rookie season of 2019. "We'll see," answered Tomlin. "It depends on how his back behaves."

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Steelers just traded for a LB and Spillane has been making plays. In addition to him having an availability problem, seems like his future with the team could be in jeopardy.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion just yet. If UG is injured again, he will end up on the IR. The Steelers traded for Avery Williamson, who is on the last year of a contract. More than likely, he won't be with the team next year. UG will still be under contract. There are many paths to being a contributor in the league, UG is off to a challenging start, but he has the positive attitude that might just give him the ability to overcome. 

• 1 month later...