Three for Thursday [Broncos @ Zips]

Dr Z

Western Michigan Broncos  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Zips
    • Broncos by 7 or less
    • Broncos by 8 or more
  2. 2. How many turnovers will the Zips defense create?

3. 3. How many TDs will Broncos WR Corey Davis have?

This poll is closed to new votes

I am down on this game, worried that WMU will be making a statement against the Zips.  Woodson can carve up the best defense when he's on his game, but there's too much unknown there for me to be certain this one remains a shootout.

I believe that the Zips run defense remains stout against the Broncos, forcing them to throw more often.  Unless their QB loses all the poise he's had this year, I don't think this will translate into turnovers, and could easily see Corey Davis getting most of their scoring opportunities.

I'm guessing that Western hangs 42 on us (just slightly under their season average).  I'm just not confident that Akron can put up more than that.  

Is there any history of coach Amato (and staff) game planning against top receivers?

• Sterling Shepard (NY Giants) had three catches for 68 yards with no tds last year against the Zips. 

• Tajae Sharpe (Tenn Titans) had seven catches for 53 yards with no tds last year against the Zips.  

Can the secondary rise to the occasion against another future NFL'er this Saturday? 

Sources say that Corey Davis was getting second-round grades prior to him deciding to return for his senior year. Davis was banged up in 2015, but he still produced with 82 receptions for 1,253 yards with 11 touchdowns. In 2014, Davis was excellent with 78 catches for 1,408 yards and 15 touchdowns.

49 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I believe that the Zips run defense remains stout against the Broncos

I wish we did have a "stout" run defense.  Even Miami (if you remove the QB who had negative yardage) rushed for 4.75 yards per carry against us.  

But I do agree with you that this game should turn into a major shootout, especially with the great weather conditions.  And I'm just not sure we can score enough to keep pace.   I see a repeat of the App State game.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

I think if the WMU team that showed up in Mount Pleasant visits InfoCision, we lose. But odds are against it.

Unlike CMU, this isn't a rivalry game. Fleck and the Broncos are getting hyped big time nationally this week, and that's going to be a distraction.

The Zips program is on a quest for respect, and beating WMU accomplishes that task. 

The Zips have shown resiliency and poise all season, coming back from major deficits against Marshall (21-7), App State (31-14 - albeit a loss) and Kent (down 3 with under 1 minute remaining). That's a sign of a great team.

The since the second half of the App State game, the Zips defense has shown marked improvement. Some new faces are making impacts. With a relatively easy game last week, they'll be as well-rested as is possible w/o a bye week, 

The game will be a shoot-out, but I see the Zips winning at home and the packed student section rushing the field. Of course UA will need to announce the tuition giveaway after the game for this to happen.

WMU's defense gave up 30 to NIU last week. The Zips are good for at least 40. 

Zips 49-WMU 40

• Like 2

Western Michigan's rise under P.J. Fleck has been underscored by his popular "row the boat" mantra. Within the walls of his program, another saying carries as much or more gravitas: "The ball is the program." The Broncos are living it so far this season. They're the only Bowl Subdivision team that has not committed a turnover. As far as Fleck is concerned, that statistic best explains how his team has won six straight games for its best start since 1941and entered the Top 25 for the first time, at No. 24. "You come to one of our practices," quarterback Zach Terrell said Wednesday, "you're going to hear 'the ball is the program' at least 10 times."

source

This might be controversial, but I can't stand Fleck. He is the CMU team. They have some very talented kids, don't get me wrong, but when he is gone, I expect it to sink into BGSU type of play.  He isn't building a program as much as he is building a resume. I think he will be off to a P5 school next year and I won't have to tolerate his Harbaugh wannabe antics. Some people like that style, it isn't for me.

I think this is a great game for the Zips to continue to demonstrate that they are a rising program. I love the team's attitude this year and think we could be ripe for an upset. Then again, I think the near upset at Michigan and the win against Pitt puts us in that position all of the time.

8 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Is there any history of coach Amato (and staff) game planning against top receivers?

• Sterling Shepard (NY Giants) had three catches for 68 yards with no tds last year against the Zips. 

• Tajae Sharpe (Tenn Titans) had seven catches for 53 yards with no tds last year against the Zips.  

Can the secondary rise to the occasion against another future NFL'er this Saturday? 

Sources say that Corey Davis was getting second-round grades prior to him deciding to return for his senior year. Davis was banged up in 2015, but he still produced with 82 receptions for 1,253 yards with 11 touchdowns. In 2014, Davis was excellent with 78 catches for 1,408 yards and 15 touchdowns.

And Gehrig Dieter lit us up last year

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Western Michigan's rise under P.J. Fleck has been underscored by his popular "row the boat" mantra. Within the walls of his program, another saying carries as much or more gravitas: "The ball is the program." The Broncos are living it so far this season. They're the only Bowl Subdivision team that has not committed a turnover. As far as Fleck is concerned, that statistic best explains how his team has won six straight games for its best start since 1941and entered the Top 25 for the first time, at No. 24. "You come to one of our practices," quarterback Zach Terrell said Wednesday, "you're going to hear 'the ball is the program' at least 10 times."

source

The part about the turnovers is important. You are going to win some games when that happens.

If we get two, or more and covert to Touchdowns, we will win.

Zips-37

WMU- 21

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lance99 said:

The part about the turnovers is important. You are going to win some games when that happens.

If we get two, or more and covert to Touchdowns, we will win.

Zips-37

WMU- 21

Our turnover conversaion rate has been very high this year as has been our red zone conversion rate. When you look back to 2013-2014, we couldn't buy a red zone conversion.

Wrong, or right, interesting that no ZN member thinks the Zips can hold Corey Davis from scoring a TD. Should be a GREAT matchup to watch. Let's see how much help the Zips use in covering him, or do they play man, or mix? Shut em down boyz! 

20 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Let's see how much help the Zips use in covering him, or do they play man, or mix? Shut em down boyz! 

Many different Zips covered Corey with man coverage. Corey lined up all over. He looks legit to me. 

Congratulations to: ZippyRulz, Blue&Gold, MDZip, zippyfan34, GoZips88, zippy5, kreed5120, blueandgold, zippy_ua_00, and Zip-Zap. All got three correct. :bow: