Game 8—@Ball State Cardinals

Dr Z

Saturday, October 22, 3:00 PM on ESP3

Scheumann Stadium, Muncie, Indiana

Coaches don't have to report any injuries, but this site has been pretty close each week. Jerome seems to be new to the list this week. I also know Zach Guiser is out with a dislocated elbow (per his instagram page), and I have to think Boxen is questionable at best with what seems to be a knee. 

10/16/16 Jerome Lane Shoulder injured last game, "?" Saturday vs. Ball State

10/16/16 Jojo Natson Shoulder "?" Saturday vs. Ball State

10/16/16 Se'Von Pittman Undisclosed "?" Saturday vs. Ball State

10/16/ Thomas WoodsonShoulder "?" Saturday vs. Ball State

10/16/16 Warren Bal lUndisclosed "?" Saturday vs. Ball State

10/05/16 Jamal Marcus Undisclosed out for season

Ball State seems pretty healthy according to this site.

10/15/16 OT Steven BellUndisclosed "?"

08/29/16 OL Andrew Poenitsch Leg out for season

Mark Roberts picks Ball State to win by two.

7 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Boxen is questionable at best with what seems to be a knee. 

You won't be seeing him, and it's not a knee.  That's all I am going to say.  You're unfortunately going to be getting some bad news about another DL also.  

We lost much more than just a game last weekend.  

2 minutes ago, ZippyRulz said:

Wake me up when TW and/or WB are back on the field.

People weren't questioning some things when we were beating a couple of scrubs.  Those games are done.  Last Saturday was a "back to reality" game that even I was not imagining being anywhere close to the way it turned out.   Getting a couple of these guys back could be a huge lift, but new injury news is going to hurt.  I hope we at least can find a way to get back to a bowl game.  And needing 3 more wins to guarantee that is going to make Ball State a pretty important game.  

29 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

People weren't questioning some things when we were beating a couple of scrubs.  Those games are done.  Last Saturday was a "back to reality" game that even I was not imagining being anywhere close to the way it turned out.   Getting a couple of these guys back could be a huge lift, but new injury news is going to hurt.  I hope we at least can find a way to get back to a bowl game.  And needing 3 more wins to guarantee that is going to make Ball State a pretty important game.  

You must be a lot of fun at parties

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Help me out.  

To win the MAC East, do only our MAC East games count.  

Or do all MAC games count?

(I know that of course all games count toward bowl eligibility, which is the big prize for our program right now.  So yes, BIG game this weekend v Ball State!  Get better, Tommy.)

They all count. I'd assume the East games are a tiebreaker

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

They all count. I'd assume the East games are a tiebreaker

Here are the division tiebreakers for the MAC.

Two teams: Head-to-head

Three or more teams:

Head-to-head record among tied teams

Record of tied teams within the division (versus rank order, highest to lowest, of division teams)

Comparison of conference winning percentage of cross-over opponents of tied teams

So if the Zips end up tied with Ohio the last game of the year will be the deciding factor. And all games count equally. Incidentally the last MAC East Championship in 2005 was won on the last of the criteria on the three or more teams tied.

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Brock Boxen had surgery today, and is out for the season. "8 screws, 1 plate, out for the season but surgery went well" per Brock's Instagram.

Get Well Brock. 

I would argue he has been the best lineman this year when he was out there.  He will be missed.

Losing a DL other than Boxen wouldn't be "devastating", The've all been average at best this season. In fact, I'd be happy to see more of Jest. "Devastating" would be losing Marcus for the season. Enough with the hyperbole.

Edited by LZIp

17 hours ago, LZIp said:

Losing a DL other than Boxen wouldn't be "devastating", The've all been average at best this season. In fact, I'd be happy to see more of Jest. "Devastating" would be losing Marcus for the season. Enough with the hyperbole.

Well if you think we have average DL's starting, what do you think's behind them? I'll tell you: Guys that aren't ready to play college football and will get blown 10 yards off the ball. Losing a starter on the defensive line doesn't just mean the back up steps up.  It means guys that weren't even previously in the rotation are now going to get snaps. and a few plays of gaping holes on the defensive line can be catastrophic.  We don't have the depth at that position to be having these injuries, and it's going to hurt us very badly.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, InTheZone said:

Well if you think we have average DL's starting, what do you think's behind them? I'll tell you: Guys that aren't ready to play college football and will get blown 10 yards off the ball. Losing a starter on the defensive line doesn't just mean the back up steps up.  It means guys that weren't even previously in the rotation are now going to get snaps. and a few plays of gaping holes on the defensive line can be catastrophic.  We don't have the depth at that position to be having these injuries, and it's going to hurt us very badly.

The D-line has been rotating all year.  An injury means that people in that rotation will get more snaps.  it's unfortunate but it's not earth shattering.

3 minutes ago, g-mann17 said:

The D-line has been rotating all year.  An injury means that people in that rotation will get more snaps.  it's unfortunate but it's not earth shattering.

Did you ever wonder why there was a rotation to begin with?  Maybe to keep the DL active and fresh throughout the game?  Now you'll have a 2nd tier guy, playing a lot of snaps, on a unit that was already struggling.  

And secondly,  If you read my original post in this thread, I wasn't making a big deal out of just one guy's absence.  Stay tuned.