Game 8—@Ball State Cardinals

Dr Z

Coach addresses destroying the "oar" before the game. According to coach, it has become the players home-field tradition to smash a 2x4 with some (written) record on it before the game, instead of the 2x4 the players decided to use an oar. Coach said he didn't know about it, and hopes nobody from WMU is offended. He mentioned Alvin Davis and Camara did a nice job last week when asked about a silver lining. He also mentioned Lacko made his first start, and he made a lot of tackles, but too far downfield. He recognizes that Ball State is a run first team, and the Zips are struggling to stop the run. Nobody asked about injuries, so nothing was offered. Nobody asked about the starting QB, so nothing was offered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, g-mann17 said:

Either say it don't enough of the rumor BS.

Players are entitled to privacy on medical issues until they want to disclose them, and the team is entitled to secrecy, if they choose to do so.  I respect that.  I'm not the first one on this board that's held back on disclosing too many details.  

Rumor?  You mean that fact that I refuted someone's statement that Brock's situation was "doubtful...probably a knee", and told you that you'll find that it is something much more significant?  That's spreading "Rumor BS"?  I already knew it to be incorrect, and wanted to let everyone know without saying more than I felt comfortable disclosing at the time.

This isn't directed just at you, but if some people on this board would pull back a bit on wanting to be argumentative about everything that's posted, and would just listen a little more, you might just realize that you're getting some tips on some things that are on the horizon that might be pretty valuable.  

• Like 2

This will be a watershed game for the Zips. From here the Zips' season can either go in the crapper, or be a springboard to a strong finish.

If the Zips are to win, Woodson needs be the QB. Chapman can win a game when the opponent is weak, but Ball State is 4-3, at home, and has some momentum. They aren't WMU, but they aren't Miami either. They're about at the Zips level.

Ball State's defense is "ok" (I'd kill for the Zips D to ascend to "ok" status), and they have a beast of a running back.

Ball State seems to be coached well enough to run, run, run if the Zips can't stop it. And we haven't stopped the run in 2016. That doesn't bode well.

The Zips OL is healthy as a horse. Woodson/Lane/Natson/Wolf/Ball(?) can outscore Ball State. That's the only chance the Zips have to win this, or probably any other game remaining on our schedule. If WMU has "Row the Boat," the Zips mantra is "45 Points or We Lose." Which is fine, as long as they score 45+ points.

While the Zips will be sporting a new defensive line due to the injuries...that might not be a terrible thing, as the DL hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year. Mabye a kid like Camara, at 6' 3", 285 makes a name for himself Saturday? 

Woodson's presence changes the entire complexion of the team. I know Jerome Lane can't get Woody back fast enough. He's gotta be behind center on Saturday, or we're at 0.500 come Saturday evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This will be a watershed game for the Zips. From here the Zips' season can either go in the crapper, or be a springboard to a strong finish.

If the Zips are to win, Woodson needs be the QB. Chapman can win a game when the opponent is weak, but Ball State is 4-3, at home, and has some momentum. They aren't WMU, but they aren't Miami either. They're about at the Zips level.

Ball State's defense is "ok" (I'd kill for the Zips D to ascend to "ok" status), and they have a beast of a running back.

Ball State seems to be coached well enough to run, run, run if the Zips can't stop it. And we haven't stopped the run in 2016. That doesn't bode well.

The Zips OL is healthy as a horse. Woodson/Lane/Natson/Wolf/Ball(?) can outscore Ball State. That's the only chance the Zips have to win this, or probably any other game remaining on our schedule. If WMU has "Row the Boat," the Zips mantra is "45 Points or We Lose." Which is fine, as long as they score 45+ points.

While the Zips will be sporting a new defensive line due to the injuries...that might not be a terrible thing, as the DL hasn't exactly set the world on fire this year. Mabye a kid like Camara, at 6' 3", 285 makes a name for himself Saturday? 

Woodson's presence changes the entire complexion of the team. I know Jerome Lane can't get Woody back fast enough. He's gotta be behind center on Saturday, or we're at 0.500 come Saturday evening.

I sort of feel like this game will be a signal of whether the season is slipping away from us or if our level of talent has come far enough along to be able to win, despite adversity.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Why would undermine the team's desire to keep this info under wraps?

That's assuming the team wants it kept under wraps, which is probably the case. However, the reality of it is, we don't know if it is true and who he was referring to. No names were given. It could be an unsubstantiated rumor for all we or anyone else knows. Ball State coaches aren't scouring this message board looking for any rumor they can use to their advantage.

Point is, there's a ton of assumptions going on here so nothing really confidential is being given. For all we know, it could be some back up d-lineman who hasn't been mentioned yet with the way Bowden likes to keep his injury report tight to his chest. It gives me an other some hope and I'm glad he shared it. Ball State isn't going to waste their time game planning on internet speculation.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Dr Z said:

I thought "color rush" was just an NFL term to market more gear, apparently not. 

rushred.jpg

As Indians manager Alvin Dark once said about 300 lb first baseman Boog Powell in the Orioles' all-red unis, "He looks like a giant blood clot."

• Like 2