President Matthew Wilson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Full article by Dan Shingler found here

"...It would be difficult to find a city the size of Akron, with a population of just under 200,000, that has seen the departure of as many top leaders as the Rubber City has in recent years. But even with changes at the top of Akron's major corporations, government entities and university, observers say the town is far from rudderless. If anything, they say, Akron has found renewed energy and an influx of new and often younger leaders..."

"...Segedy is eager to listen to neighborhood residents and is a champion of bike paths, walkable streetscapes and other things that will improve urban life in Akron. Others credit Matthew Wilson with changing attitudes at his organization. "He's a great example of someone who is different with his approach. He's putting the students first and trying to drive changes through discussions with students about what they need," Mullen said. And Mullen himself represents a new generation of leaders. At 36, he's one of the youngest heads of a major United Way branch in the country..."

CC109496317.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UA Freshman Enrollment Up

University of Akron President Matthew Wilson told trustees at Wednesday’s board meeting that preliminary numbers show new freshmen enrollment is up 10 percent over last year. The new freshman class is expected to total more than 3,700.

Also at Wednesday’s board meeting, Nathan Mortimer, UA vice president and chief financial officer, told trustees that thanks to a yearlong effort to hold down expenditures and through other measures, the university ended fiscal year 2017 with a $12 million surplus that went into reserves.

It really is nice to have a President like Mr. Wilson. Such a night and day difference compared to Scarb. Not that I'm defending him, but I don't really think Scarby ever had a chance though. Somebody had to be the scapegoat for the hole Proenza put us in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

President Wilson makes his rounds through the tailgaters every home game with his wife and kids.  They actually take the time to engage in some meaningful conversation with the fans.  Last game, they came into the southwest corner of Lot 9 off the Exchange Street sidewalk as some folks were throwing the football back and forth.  He immediately started jogging across the lot with his arm extended asking for a pass.  He grabbed the ball spun around and fired it back across the lot.

It's hard not to like this guy.  So far, he seems great.

Edited by K92
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2017 at 2:55 PM, skip-zip said:

Great find, Hilltopper.  

So, I get it.  When LeBron used this platform to spew his latest election displeasure with the "so-called president" comment, maybe he was talking about Scarborough and not Trump??

Thats a very interesting comparison: they're both pretty equally terrible at their jobs.  I wonder who's more incompetent is the real question...

Edited by Balsy

10 hours ago, K92 said:

President Wilson makes his rounds through the tailgaters every home game with his wife and kids.  They actually take the time to engage in some meaningful conversation with the fans.  Last game, they came into the southwest corner of Lot 9 off the Exchange Street sidewalk as some folks were throwing the football back and forth.  He immediately started jogging across the lot with his arm extended asking for a pass.  He grabbed the ball spun around and fired it back across the lot.

It's hard not to like this guy.  So far, he seems great.

And he is always at the "less popular" sporting events as well.  I've seen/talked to him at women's soccer matches this year, at swim meets, at track and field meets, both indoor and outdoor.   He's been at the MAC softball championships last May,.  He gets around and he connects...with fans and with students.    

• 3 weeks later...

Turned a 30 million deficit into a multi-million surplus, among other things, and people are complaining about him getting a raise. I would like to say I'm shocked but I am not. How dare anyone be fairly compensated for their work :rolleyes:

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Turned a 30 million deficit into a multi-million surplus, among other things, and people are complaining about him getting a raise. I would like to say I'm shocked but I am not. How dare anyone be fairly compensated for their work :rolleyes:

They are compensated for their work...that's what the six-figure salary is for.  The president of the United States gets paid $400,000 a year.  The president of a University is somehow a harder worker than the president of the country?   You clearly didn't understand my point.