President Matthew Wilson

4 hours ago, Balsy said:

They are compensated for their work...that's what the six-figure salary is for.  The president of the United States gets paid $400,000 a year.  The president of a University is somehow a harder worker than the president of the country?   You clearly didn't understand my point.

Apples and Oranges my friend.  While in office all their living and travel expenses are covered by the taxpayers. Ex-presidents make millions after they leave office.

http://time.com/money/4641558/barack-obama-job-earn-after-president-white-house/

Edited by Hilltopper

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Anyone know what this was about?

It was about Giving "Roosday" every Tuesday in November.  If you give $25 you get a Zippy decal and if you give $50 you are eligible for the Weekly Prize (Sounds like it will vary between Zips sports tickets, maybe some EJ tickets or something else if I was reading between the lines correctly).  They will announce on Monday what the prize for the week is.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

As I continue to hear more and more about the story, I have to believe this isn't just exploratory.  He really wants this job.  I understand.  I'd just hate to lose him after such a short and successful tenure.  

Akron is a stepping stone.  At least I think it shows a sign of character that he is at least being open and transparent, that's all we can ask for.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, Balsy said:

Akron is a stepping stone.  At least I think it shows a sign of character that he is at least being open and transparent, that's all we can ask for.

Most schools are stepping stones compared to UCF. They might not be OSU when it comes to athletics, but they're one of the biggest schools in the country, which is more important for this type of role. I agree on his character, but I don't think that's ever been in question. He's an all-around great person. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skip-zip said:

I'll use my genius-level math skills to say that it appears like there's at least a 1-in-4 chance that we are going to need a new President B)

Skip, are you sure you didn't get a degree from PCCC? Probably in math, advanced math for them.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/education/school-zone/os-ucf-president-finalists-20180223-story.html

And Wilson, they said, was an energetic candidate who said he played pick-up basketball with students and could “outwork” others.

Both are presidents of institutions with fewer than 25,000 students, however, and that gave some committee members pause.

“I am concerned about being able to scale up at this level from institutions that are much smaller than ours,” said Gordon Chavis, associate vice president of enrollment services at UCF.

The committee eventually agreed to bring back both candidates, noting Kennedy had experience at larger institutions and Wilson could be a rising “superstar.”

Hmm.  I'm trying to read into that article a little bit.  

I see that two other candidates were declared finalists "without any further debate", but there were questions about Wilson and one other candidate, before the committee agreed to put them on the finalist list.  

Question:  Are we really under 25k student population? 

Question #2:   I wonder if his successor would demand that we purchase another President's Mansion?  And would he request an enormously expensive Olive Jar as part of his decor ? 

I realize Akron is not the size of UCF.  Not even close.  But I'm a bit offended that the article makes it sound like Matt would be making a huge leap from running the corner gas station to running a Walmart Superstore.  

I have not had any discussions about this matter with anyone at the UofA.  But, I sure hope this is all nothing more than Mr. Wilson's simple desire to advance his career and be in a place where he really wants to be.