President Matthew Wilson

Really glad he's staying-- UA does not need any more churn.    It was definitely disappointing that he was looking to jump so soon, but his explanation of wanting to be back in Orlando made sense.  However, I do hope he refrains from tossing his hat in the ring for any other positions for the next 2-3 years.   UA needs that time for the 'scar' to heal... 

• Like 2

Law school dean to president of a 66K student university within a span of about 3 years would have been a pretty rapid ascent. Nevertheless, I think he will be gone within a couple years.  UA's striving to keep him is probably the biggest recommendation that will help him to get hired elsewhere.

7 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

Yes, a headline grabber that leads to an article that goes on to refute what the headline conveys.

Beacon at its finest.

Dyer is lazier than George Thomas.  Somewhere in his vague memory he remembers Geno Ford and then compares a Kent basketball coach's contract to a University president's contract implying that Kent is smarter than Akron is.  Guess what Dyer it's called "negotiation."  Wilson gives Akron a few things such as a lower salary, not taking the house, and whatever else and in exchange they give him a 6 month out clause.  Akron wasn't in a great bargaining position at the time, and Wilson certainly knew that.  He probably could have jacked up his salary request but instead took the out clause.  Dyer also did a hatchet job on the Groce hiring. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

He's done a heck of a job and we've been lucky to have him.

Akron was on the brink of disaster when he took the job and we are still on a brink of disaster now. 

If you found out your girlfriend was trying to get with another man (UCF) and failed I assume you are taking her back then because you are so so so lucky to have her right?

EljtvKw.png

• Like 1

Changing jobs in Higher Ed is a little different. 

We are almost encouraged not to stay in a position for too long -barring your position doesn't change, or you receive new education/skills. 

You have to do what's best for you and your family- which it sounds like that's what hes doing. It doesn't mean he doesn't like the school any less or make him less loyal. 

And while you're right, things still aren't great- the school's in better shape at the end of his presidency than at the beginning. 

• Like 1

Step 1: blame your predecessor for any problems Step 2: get out before you're responsible for anything I was done with Akron President Matthew Wilson the moment he applied for the University of Central Florida (UCF) job. I know my Alma Mater's worth. We can find better. GOODBYE

Less than 2 years and you down in Florida saying this 

zwcmcg.png

10 minutes ago, dre22era said:

Step 1: blame your predecessor for any problems Step 2: get out before you're responsible for anything I was done with Akron President Matthew Wilson the moment he applied for the University of Central Florida (UCF) job. I know my Alma Mater's worth. We can find better. GOODBYE

Less than 2 years and you down in Florida saying this 

zwcmcg.png

I haven't been visiting the forum lately, but damn is this just about the best post in the thread. 

Folks I've said it a million times; it's a culture of resume building.  People take a job to put it on their resume in order to apply for something in the future.  Akron is a stepping stone, not a final destination.  They leave before they face the repercussions of their decisions/initiatives, and their not held accountable by anyone else because they are hired for what was on their resume as opposed to if what they did actually worked or not.

• Like 1

Just now, ZippyRulz said:

Seems weird to me. Fresh off a final 4 finish for the UCF presidency, he gives himself a demotion? Doesn't exactly sound like resume-building or a stepping stone scenario.

Yeah...maybe Tenn Zip is onto something about it wearing him out. He has been everywhere. Money shouldn't be an issue so why not take a pay cut and enjoy life again?