President Matthew Wilson

8 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

I wonder how the actual financial analysts were duped into improving the university's credit rating?

And, if having an "agenda" is defined as offering a rebuttal to an attacking opinion,  then guilty as charged.

And, please excuse my use of hyperbole to make a point. 

Your agenda is apparent in the words you use, how you construct you communications and posts.  Gee, just like how you deduced Dre's agenda based on his posts in the other threads!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Balsy said:

You're agenda is apparent in the words you use, how you construct you communications and posts.  Gee, just like how you deduced Dre's agenda based on his posts in the other threads!  :rolleyes:

Not to be nit-picky, but it's "your".

And I noticed how you selectively picked out 1 topic, the most irrelevant part.

Let me know about the bond ratings after you get your financial facts in order.?

5 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

And I noticed how you selectively picked out 1 topic, the most irrelevant part.

Let me know about the bond ratings after you get your financial facts in order.?

No I picked that out because I thought your reasoning that he increased donations was preposterous.  You've now gone to the lender ratings to which I say...who cares!?

Was the bond rating awful under Proenza, got worse with Scarborough, and then got better than both under Wilson?  Because if that's not the situtation (being better than Proenza's entire tenure) than it's milk-toast (anyone could improved over Scarborough...literally anyone).  Even if that is true...any of the gains made in a bond rating are counteracted by the fact that your University has had 2 presidents in 4 years.  That's not the mark of healthy institution.  Which is why I say who cares!? (about the bond rating).

The guy who was willing to take UCF to glory, but when he didn't get the job...immediately steps down.  What does that say about what he thinks of our Alma Mater?  I don't care what milk-toast response he gives; it's a slap in the face, and IS NOT GOOD for the University of Akron, no matter how you try to pander it.

15 hours ago, dre22era said:

2. Allowing your name to be on that list is optional

(Pertaining to the Honor Roll of Donors) I don't remember having an option, not that I care that my name is on that list, but who did you contact to have your name "removed?" 

3 hours ago, Balsy said:

No I picked that out because I thought your reasoning that he increased donations was preposterous.  You've now gone to the lender ratings to which I say...who cares!?

Was the bond rating awful under Proenza, got worse with Scarborough, and then got better than both under Wilson?  Because if that's not the situtation (being better than Proenza's entire tenure) than it's milk-toast (anyone could improved over Scarborough...literally anyone).  Even if that is true...any of the gains made in a bond rating are counteracted by the fact that your University has had 2 presidents in 4 years.  That's not the mark of healthy institution.  Which is why I say who cares!? (about the bond rating).

The guy who was willing to take UCF to glory, but when he didn't get the job...immediately steps down.  What does that say about what he thinks of our Alma Mater?  I don't care what milk-toast response he gives; it's a slap in the face, and IS NOT GOOD for the University of Akron, no matter how you try to pander it.

Never mind that his child has cancer...

But, you go right on with your "reasoning". 

And if you think that bond ratings don't matter to any business that is trying to financially correct itself (not even taking into account the lack of state funding ), then maybe it's time for you to take a basic level finance class. 

"Spend like there's no tomorrow" Proenza is exactly the reason the university is in this mess. 

Enjoy your beer, I'm going back to the relative sanity of the basketball threads.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balsy said:

This is a joke right?  Like you make this comment in jest right?  Because I refuse to believe you're that overly simplistic.

What has he really done for people to go like "oh he wasn't that bad!?".  Has UA really changed that much for the better?  I mean c'mon man.

Amen brother, I'm regretting coming to look at this thread after staying away for awhile.  Some people are just flat out delusional.

I know this is nit-picky, and El Presidente likes to throw around "fake news" but please don't.  Fake News does not = someone's opinion.  Fake News is wholesale making up of something to present it as news for the purpose of deceiving people.  Nothing on this thread is "fake news".

He improved our financial situation by increasing donations? What?  Didn't we LOSE donations under the last University President?  So basically he regained the ones we lost right?  The guy isn't a savior...he's was a "better-than-the-last-guy" milk toast.  You coulda inserted anyone into that position and increased donations because he/she wasn't Scarborough.  You're criticizing Dre for having an agenda, when it's pretty clear you have one as well.

When there are adamant assertions made, such as "3. Is Akron better off compared to when he became President? NO and yall will soon find out once stones get un turned with him out the picture" (- Dre), those aren't opinions. The title of "fake news" would be applicable, despite your level of disdain for our President. 

Let me get this straight. You're ripping the guy for doing damage control, making amends, and regaining lost donations? He had to start somewhere. That would be like ripping Dambrot in the beginning of his time here for getting Akron back to mediocre mid-major status instead of bottom of the barrel. Whomever takes over next has a better and higher foundation to build upon. 

Regarding any statements that question if the University improved under Wilson, look no further than the crowd reactions to him at basketball games. Loud cheers and people loved his interactions and involvement in the shooting contest. He was great. Now make the right hire on the next guy and keep moving forward; no more backward movement. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Thanks 1

You want worse? a trend (that i'm very split on) in higher ed is courting more online/virtual students. The college could have easily hired a president that would have continued to court these students over physical, campus ones and taken over Kaplan, or worked with Phoenix. THAT would have been a disaster. 

As for Wilson...i honestly think this was a personal decision. Maybe the last few months have been a strain on his family. 

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

(Pertaining to the Honor Roll of Donors) I don't remember having an option, not that I care that my name is on that list, but who did you contact to have your name "removed?" 

Trust me these days if you want to donate Akron will accept damn near anything including food stamps.

They will accommodate your terms. These days many who donate prefer to do so anonymously. 

Department of Development will accommodate that request.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When there are adamant assertions made, such as "3. Is Akron better off compared to when he became President? NO and yall will soon find out once stones get un turned with him out the picture" (- Dre), those aren't opinions. The title of "fake news" would be applicable, despite your level of disdain for our President. 

Let me get this straight. You're ripping the guy for doing damage control, making amends, and regaining lost donations? He had to start somewhere. That would be like ripping Dambrot in the beginning of his time here for getting Akron back to mediocre mid-major status instead of bottom of the barrel. Whomever takes over next has a better and higher foundation to build upon. 

Regarding any statements that question if the University improved under Wilson, look no further than the crowd reactions to him at basketball games. Loud cheers and people loved his interactions and involvement in the shooting contest. He was great. Now make the right hire on the next guy and keep moving forward; no more backward movement. 

(1) No, assertions are also not "fake news"....they are assertions.  "Fake News" is incorrectly used by the president, as it is most people; it is an actual thing.  Please learn what Fake News actually is.

(2) No.  I'm ripping people for acting like he's a savior because he did what any milk-toast in the same position would do.  And no it wouldn't be like me ripping Dambrot like when he started here...what Dambrot lasted like 15 years?  A more apt analogy would be like me ripping Lane Kiffin over his tenure at Tennessee.  In this analogy; several members of this board (including yourself) would be defending Lane Kiffin as the savior of Tennessee Football.

(3) People loved his interactions.  Sure he was more likable than the last guy, unfortunately that's not saying much. That means something when you're here.  It means nothing when you're no longer here.  I liked him.  Until I saw he was ready to jump ship after two years...and quit after not being able to jump ship.

• Like 1

Like him.  Don't like him.  Savior.  Place holder. 

Whatever the case, the Board of Trustees hopefully have learned from their mistakes.  Scarborough was in an awful position of having to lay off all those employees, but he also had no sense of PR.  Wright State has horrible finance issues and when their president was pushed out they put a provost or someone in as interim president.  The interim then made all the tough decisions so the new president wouldn't have to be the one firing people.  So maybe Wright State learned something from the Scarborough fail.

No excuses for the Board this time.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Joe Akron said:

Never mind that his child has cancer...

But, you go right on with your "reasoning". 

And if you think that bond ratings don't matter to any business that is trying to financially correct itself (not even taking into account the lack of state funding ), then maybe it's time for you to take a basic level finance class. 

"Spend like there's no tomorrow" Proenza is exactly the reason the university is in this mess. 

Enjoy your beer, I'm going back to the relative sanity of the basketball threads.

Wilson officially lost the Bid for UCF on March 9th.  March 22nd he Steps down.  As he states in his letter: His son was battling pediatric cancer his entire tenure at Akron.  Which for anyone would difficult.  Yet, this didn't impact his decision to apply for the UCF position, which would be arguably as much if not more demanding of a position.  So please spare me the pandering.  He said it himself in his letter applying to UCF was a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity.  So guess once you lose-out on a "once-in-a-life-time" opportunity, there's not much else to do right?  So UCF was good enough to continue working hard hours/family balance, but Akron isn't.  See where I'm going with this?

What you did there sir, in bringing up that his son's cancer, is both cherry-picking and pandering to your own narrative.

If you are stepping down because you want to spend more time with your family, considering the difficulties your family has been through, that's fine.  That doesn't excuse him from criticism, nor does it excuse him from the rest of us criticizing his short-lived tenure as less than the rose-colored glass image.

And yes I do understand bond ratings as they relate to business success, and the indication of a tanking business vs thriving business.  I don't, however, give Wilson any credit for this, and I don't believe that it is really any indication of how much he "improved" the university.  Because if that's the only thing he did, UA isn't in much better shape than it was.  All you had to be was not-scarborough to do that is what I'm arguing, so please stop being all high and mighty.

Edited by Balsy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Wilson officially lost the Bid for UCF on March 9th.  March 22nd he Steps down.  As he states in his letter: His son was battling pediatric cancer his entire tenure at Akron.  Which for anyone would difficult.  Yet, this didn't impact his decision to apply for the UCF position, which would be arguably as much if not more demanding of a position.  So please spare me the pandering.  He said it himself in his letter applying to UCF was a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity.  So guess once you lose-out on a "once-in-a-life-time" opportunity, there's not much else to do right?  So UCF was good enough to continue working hard hours/family balance, but Akron isn't.  See where I'm going with this?

What you did there sir, in brining up that his son's cancer, is both cherry-picking and pandering to your own narrative.

If you are stepping down because you want to spend more time with your family, considering the difficulties your family has been through, that's fine.  That doesn't excuse him from criticism, nor does it excuse him from the rest of us criticizing his short-lived tenure as less than the rose-colored glass image.

Thats exactly how I feel. If he didn't just spend months trying to get the UCF job and step down for the same reasons he claims I would have no problem with his decision at all but don't give me that lame a$$ excuse now citing exhaustion when you just tried and failed to get a more demanding job. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, zippy5 said:

My totally uninformed guess is that it doesn't look as bad to look for other jobs when you aren't the president.

zippy5 hit the nail on the head waaay back in March on this one.....

• Like 1