President Matthew Wilson

57 minutes ago, urbanpreppie05 said:

I was talking with another friend who's also an Akron alum and works at a university as a dean about this...it really looks like he's wants to make a move to be back in his roots and probably near more people of his faith. 

Ehh.. Bet if a job in Texas came up he would have some connection there too

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think we all have opinions as to why this presidential turmoil is hitting us now. For what it's worth here is what I have heard from an administrator at UA regarding the recent turn of events on Wilson. 

The executive committee of the board of trustees felt they needed stability so they went to him and said the following (paraphrased) " Matt we realize the UCF position was a once in a lifetime opportunity i.e. huge enrollment, past experience there, more prestige, more money, bigger stage, attractive area, etc., but we need stability and to quiet down the turmoil. We want a commitment from you that you will give us 5 years. Can you give us that?" Matt responded "I like it here, but if I hear of an interesting situation I will listen." The board said that's not good enough and we won't accept it. Matt and the board agreed he should resign.

I have never felt we have had a good, much less visionary, board of trustees. But in this case I firmly feel they finally did their job. So I support this action while I regret losing Matt's talent. Yet with no commitment we can't have him continue. Now I hope we see the board actually lead and not be content with being political appointees who only seek to pad their resume for future opportunities. Not sure that will happen, but I can dream can't I?  

• Like 2

On 4/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, LZIp said:

Indeed, guess there were some on this forum who nailed it.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:47 PM, dre22era said:

Yall favorite president is back hoeing for another job again I see 

Yall gonna defend him again?

You and I called it bud ;)  but yes, now the spin-cycle of "he wants to be closer to his religion" or "because of his families struggles" or some other nonsense.  Funny how he wants to be closer to his religion in Utah NOW that he has University President on his resume, rather than before.  I call BS.  He's an opportunist, nothing more.  Which (to anyone who will attack me for saying that) is perfectly fine.  But if you're an opportunist, don't proport yourself to be something more honorable than that.

On 4/12/2018 at 9:51 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Great to have our roving troll back, aint it?

Most people on this thread owe him (Dre) an apology, he at least somewhat right that the milk-toast letter published by Wilson wasn't worth the paper it was written on.  (see explanation below by 72 Roo, assuming it's true).  The letter Wilson published was in stark difference to the situation below.  If the situation below is true, than Dre and I were correct in saying we don't buy his "because of my family" nonsense.  

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I think we all have opinions as to why this presidential turmoil is hitting us now. For what it's worth here is what I have heard from an administrator at UA regarding the recent turn of events on Wilson. 

The executive committee of the board of trustees felt they needed stability so they went to him and said the following (paraphrased) " Matt we realize the UCF position was a once in a lifetime opportunity i.e. huge enrollment, past experience there, more prestige, more money, bigger stage, attractive area, etc., but we need stability and to quiet down the turmoil. We want a commitment from you that you will give us 5 years. Can you give us that?" Matt responded "I like it here, but if I hear of an interesting situation I will listen." The board said that's not good enough and we won't accept it. Matt and the board agreed he should resign.

I have never felt we have had a good, much less visionary, board of trustees. But in this case I firmly feel they finally did their job. So I support this action while I regret losing Matt's talent. Yet with no commitment we can't have him continue. Now I hope we see the board actually lead and not be content with being political appointees who only seek to pad their resume for future opportunities. Not sure that will happen, but I can dream can't I?  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

"We need stability". So the BOT got somebody good that is fixing the prior mess and they (if true) give him an ultimatum and drive him away? Is that stability? Why not be happy to keep him as long as possible rather than generate more turmoil in the near-term?

3 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

"We need stability". So the BOT got somebody good that is fixing the prior mess and they (if true) give him an ultimatum and drive him away? Is that stability? Why not be happy to keep him as long as possible rather than generate more turmoil in the near-term?

You're making the assumption that he was good at fixing the prior mess.

10 hours ago, Balsy said:

Most people on this thread owe him (Dre) an apology, he at least somewhat right that the milk-toast letter published by Wilson wasn't worth the paper it was written on

Stop...just stop.  Pontification does not suit you Balsy...

16 hours ago, Balsy said:

Most people on this thread owe him (Dre) an apology, he at least somewhat right that the milk-toast letter published by Wilson wasn't worth the paper it was written on. 

Not to be a troll, but it's "milquetoast" for future reference. Otherwise, I agree with about 99% of your very logical posts.

15 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

Not to be a troll, but it's "milquetoast" for future reference. Otherwise, I agree with about 99% of your very logical posts.

Yes thank you, i've said "milk toast" enough that I should have corrected it sooner.  Much appreciated.

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

And this is why Balsys name is misspelled in his little sub forum :lol:

What now?

22 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Stop...just stop.  Pontification does not suit you Balsy...

Sorry for pointing out that someone was right?

• Like 1

On 4/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, Balsy said:

Yes thank you, i've said "milk toast" enough that I should have corrected it sooner.  Much appreciated.

Haha. No worries, you seem like a genuinely good dude. We probably attended UA at roughly the same time. Wilson was the dean of the law school for a period when I was there. He seemed to me, extremely capable of his expanded presidential duties and was genuinely liked. I don't think I'm going too far by saying we were glad he was our law school dean for the period that he was there.  I certainly wish him the very best in his westward endeavors. However, I would be remiss by not emphasizing that the board of trustees would be well advised to  look in house again in their search for our university's next president, however, that's not to say they shouldn't turn every stone. This university and this community require and deserve a capable person who understands the unique challenges that Akron faces and who values and recognizes the collaborative potential of the  city, the university, and the surrounding community above all else. After all, a rising tide lifts all boats. In fact, my future donations demand another community valuing, global reaching, progressive, education first president as opposed to some "Carpetbagging Texan hypocrite hatchet job." Keep Akron Educated (and weird)! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ZippyforPresident said:

Haha. No worries, you seem like a genuinely good dude. We probably attended UA at roughly the same time. Wilson was the dean of the law school for a period when I was there. He seemed to me, extremely capable of his expanded presidential duties and was genuinely liked. I don't think I'm going too far by saying we were glad he was our law school dean for the period that he was there.  I certainly wish him the very best in his westward endeavors. However, I would be remiss by not emphasizing that the board of trustees would be well advised to  look in house again in their search for our university's next president, however, that's not to say they shouldn't turn every stone. This university and this community require and deserve a capable person who understands the unique challenges that Akron faces and who values and recognizes the collaborative potential of the  city, the university, and the surrounding community above all else. After all, a rising tide lifts all boats. In fact, my future donations demand another community valuing, global reaching, progressive, education first president as opposed to some "Carpetbagging Texan hypocrite hatchet job." Keep Akron Educated (and weird)! 

Well said :)

• 10 months later...
38 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Swore he was committed to Akron...(while applying other Universities).  Said it was too stressful for family life, so he steps down...but not too stressful to become the president of another university.

Yeah. I don’t know the guy and I know a lot of the young people like him. But I just hope the door doesn’t hit him in the ass.

• Like 1