President Matthew Wilson

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Come on, ME87.   They were protesting throughout DC and elsewhere, and breaking out store windows, as he was being sworn in as President.  He hadn't signed a single document yet, or enacted a single policy. 

FYI...The President DOES have powers that do not require Congressional approval.  And as far as the courts are concerned, if a Presidential action is ultimately proven to be beyond his power by the Supreme Court?  Then they need to abide by that and find another course to enact their policy.  I'm fine with that.  Then the country is working the way that it should.  

I didn't defend destruction of property, etc., but Trump is the most divisive president I can recall in my lifetime.

As far as "The President DOES have powers that do not require Congressional approval." I didn't mean to imply that he can't do things without Congressional approval, but he is subject to the Constitution, laws written by Congress, and interpretation by the courts. He's not a dictator as much as he'd like to be.

I disagree with your comment about "Some elements of our society respect the results of elections, even if they disagree with the policies of the new official, because they understand that the person elected was given the authority, by the people, to make such policies.  That's respecting American democracy." Rioting is not respecting American Democracy, but peacefully protesting is not disrespecting it.

Edited by Zip_ME87

1 hour ago, skip-zip said:

Come on, ME87.   They were protesting throughout DC and elsewhere, and breaking out store windows, as he was being sworn in as President.  He hadn't signed a single document yet, or enacted a single policy. 

Come on Skip, I expect better from you. You're smarter than to use that logical fallacy.  Using the few acts of vandalism as a reason to cast shade on the rest of the group is a slippery slope, and unfair.  99.999% of protestors were non-violent and did not commit any vandalism.  And have you forgotten the very racial protests that took place in 2009 before Obama did anything?  C'mon man.  The only difference being Obama had 68% approval rating on day one while Trumps was at a 37%.

The fact of the matter is this:  Anytime a group of thousands of people assemble, there will be those who behave inappropriately.  Not because it should cast doubt on a movement, but because some people just like to cause trouble and use such a gathering for that purpose alone.

Vandalism happens in National Championship Celebrations, Out of Control Spring Breaks that young people in college seem to get involved with, Marches, Fireworks celebrations...pretty much any time people come together.  

The difference is, when its politics; people want to make it about the entire group protesting as a whole.  While when it's something like sports, we only want to blame it on the individuals involved.

kentuckyriot2n-2-web.jpg

Are Kentucky Fans all unruly thugs?  Or is it just these young, stupid, individuals that are at fault and are not representative of Kentucky fans in general.

The only except to the rule is of course, Kent Fans.  Because they just suck all the time.  ;) (yes this is meant to lighten up the conversation a bit...)

Edited by Balsy

Starbucks already employees veterans and now has made it known they are looking to hire refugees so that taxpayers wouldn't have to assume the burden of taking care of them financially. Republicans respond by protesting. Silly Republicans just looking for things to protest over...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/trump-supporters-threaten-starbucks-boycott-over-refugee-promise.html

Note: Just posting to show how this works both ways.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Starbucks already employees veterans and now has made it known they are looking to hire refugees so that taxpayers wouldn't have to assume the burden of taking care of them financially. Republicans respond by protesting. Silly Republicans just looking for things to protest over...

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/30/trump-supporters-threaten-starbucks-boycott-over-refugee-promise.html

Note: Just posting to show how this works both ways.

Isn't there a yearly group of conservative christians that cry about the Starbucks holiday cups because they're not "christiany" enough?  Definitely goes both ways.

37 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

This one doesn't include Green card holders either.

Sure about that? Because White House Officials couldn't even keep it straight.

Senior officials at the Department of Homeland Security initially interpreted Trump's order to not apply to green card holders from the seven banned countries. Trump White House overruled that reading, however, meaning those green card holders were initially barred.

But a federal judge in New York temporarily blocked part of Trump's order late on Saturday night, ruling that citizens of the seven countries who hold valid visas and have already arrived in the United States cannot be removed from the United States.

Edited by Balsy

This is more pertinent to this thread and this forum, since it involves a sports figure and a college professor.  

Have any of you read the absurd statements made by the college professor about Tom Brady's action (Wearing a Trump hat) makeing him more of a danger to America than everything that Colin Kaepernick has done?

Dems should have just gotten a major wake up call.  They are failing to realize that there's a reason why the Presidency, the House, the Senate, and the overwhelming majority of Governorships in this country have slipped out of their hands.  Americans are tired of being lectured to and being told how they should think, with the mainstream media, politicians and Hollywood being other sources.   

This entire Refugee situation has proven to be another great example.  If everyone would have waited a little while for the truth to surface before they started marching in the streets, they would have learned that the President has the authority, protected by an Act of Congress, to ban entry from any country if they deem it to be in the best interest of the country.  His predecessor used it, and there were no protests.  All 6 previous Presidents used it, as we've learned, and there were no protests.  And good luck filing suit because the media tells you that it's a "muslin ban" when only a very small percentage of the people in these countries are Muslim.....countries identified by Obama as being involved in harboring and cultivating terrorism. And it's only very temporary, until they get a better grip on the situation and can form a new policy. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

So, again.  Why did everyone run to the streets immediately in protest?  Before they could have possibly known all the details?  Before a single person was ever placed under the more stringent vetting process?  And why haven't they done so in the past if this is all about "inclusion" and "avoiding discrimination"?

I saw this morning that right after the new Supreme Court justice was nominated last night, protests had begun.  Do you think these people knew that this guy was previously approved by the very Democratic Senators that now are saying they will oppose him?  And how can they possibly be demanding that Trump's nominee be a Moderate judge when his predecessor got approval from Congress to seat a hispanic woman and a gay woman during his term? 

So again, there's no disputing that this is nothing more than continued protest of the election.  They were protesting before he was even inaugurated and signed one document.  If you decide that you don't like the job he does, you'll have your chance to vote again in 4 years.  But in a country where the people have overwhelmingly said that we were headed in the wrong direction, it's time to move forward and allow the person who was elected to govern.   

If there's anything I hate more than coming to an Akron board to read people posting about Ohio State, it's coming to an Akron board to read people posting about politics.  Skip, would you like to make a couple of posts on religion so I can add that to my list of things I hate reading about on an Akron board?

Edited by K92

22 minutes ago, K92 said:

If there's anything I hate more than coming to an Akron board to read people posting about Ohio State, it's coming to an Akron board to read people posting about politics.  Skip, would you like to make a couple of posts on religion so I can add that to my list of things I hate reading about on an Akron board?

That's why it's in the "General UA and Campus Discussion".  See above.  The discussion and everyone who's posted above followed the posting by someone of the letter from the president addressing the refugee issue.  

37 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's why it's in the "General UA and Campus Discussion".  See above.  The discussion and everyone who's posted above followed the posting by someone of the letter from the president addressing the refugee issue.  

Balsy posted a press release by Matt Wilson, our president and the person who this thread is concerning. He didn't even make any comments in regards to it. Just simply posted the article. YOU'RE the one that derailed this thread by you trying to get your political agenda a crossed. This is the same way you take every opportunity you can get to bring OSU into a discussion.

If you want to get into a lengthy debate about how OSU sucks or how you feel liberals are loony bins, go create threads in the off topic, smack talk section. I'll make sure to avoid them.

Edit: I admit I've personally foolishly taken the bait a few times, but no more.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

A friendly reminder to some of our newer members, you can simply ignore a user if you do not enjoy their content. Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them. As noted before, their content will still show up in replies. 

I wasn't aware this feature existed. I'll keep it in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone has saw, but the Akron social media accounts have been posting pictures with Zippy and Kent St's mascot together. Something is supposed to be announced on 2/13. It is probably something dumb, but I also wonder if it is some sort of partnership. I'm sure LAZipsfan is excited if so!

I must admit it is gratifying to be known for something, even if it's not widely embraced...

I just looked up the tweet you are talking about and really like it from a marketing professional perspective... just adds another kind of goofball dimension to things and of course I love that is singles out Ohio State for ribbing and that it is UA and Kent working together on something... now if only...

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/02/akron_us_zippy_and_kent_states.html?platform=hootsuite

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I'm wanting to say it was $40M but they were able to refinance some debt to reduce it to $20M

14 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I'm wanting to say it was $40M but they were able to refinance some debt to reduce it to $20M

Dang. It appears you are right or at least close. Not sure why I was thinking it was much smaller.

For those interested...

Here is a link to the EY Statement of Work: https://www.uakron.edu/budget/docs/ua-sow-dec2016.pdf

Here is a link to the actual report: https://www.uakron.edu/budget/docs/ernst-and-young-report.pdf

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I got $50

It's worth that for it being a conversation piece alone.

Someone comes into my office: *looks at jar* "What's that junk"

Me: "Boy, I have a story for you..."

$60.  That'd be a great talking piece for sure...I mean look at it's beauty!  :rofl:

22077227-small.jpg

No wonder Scarborough was a bumbling fool.  Who looks at the above piece of interior decorating and says "yup, paying $556 for that.  I have students that can hand make something better...

Edited by Balsy