2016 Race to Detroit

Balsy

As down as we are with the season, this game just goes to show that we can absolutely win next week if the right team shows up and the right players are healthy. A bunch of ifs there, I know. We still have a chance to be bowl eligible and that isn't something we should take for granted. OU's win over Toledo was impressive, but they are far from world beaters.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LZIp said:

As down as we are with the season, this game just goes to show that we can absolutely win next week if the right team shows up and the right players are healthy. A bunch of ifs there, I know. We still have a chance to be bowl eligible and that isn't something we should take for granted. OU's win over Toledo was impressive, but they are far from world beaters.

Great post.  I'm thinking that everyone should be more hopeful this morning that we have a chance to win in Athens next week.  

I actually started posting about this in the OU game thread already.  

12 hours ago, LZIp said:

...if the right team shows up and the right players are healthy. ...

I would say that's the predominate theme of the Zips 2016 season.

1.) Huge defensive losses through graduation hurt our 2016 depth. And then we lose Marcus and Boxen for the bulk of the season...not to mention other's who've spent a lot of time on the IR.

2.) As Woodson goes, so do the Zips. And Woodson hasn't been healthy since MAYBE Ball State? He wasn't himself at Buffalo, a scratch vs. WMU, and played sparingly vs. BG.

The old "cut the head off the snake and the body dies" adage is true of Woodson and the Zips. If he's out, we go from Contender, to Pretender. 

I'll remain hopeful that the bye week, plus maybe a cortisone shot, gets Woodson in shape to be effective versus OU. If he is, we can win.

I liked what Amato did with the defense against BG. The 2-LB sets were effective. What hurt us is the two TD's surrendered via turnovers. And the late fumble on the kick-off that caused a final 7 to be tacked-on. The score looked bad, but the D certainly played well enough to win.

If Woodson is healthy, we have a chance. Bottom line.

After the Zips beat Ball State, some folks posted here that what they had to do was 'Beat The East'! The Toledo game wasn't that crucial. Unfortunately,the Buffalo game sank the Zip's season. People can rationalize all they want. And thats what I see a lot of people doing on this site. Beat Buffalo,you are playing for the MAC East on 11-22. Whether or not OU lost last night,you gotta beat a team as weak as Buffalo anyway. At this point CMU is significantly stronger than Akron. And,they tore up OU with a big,strong RB running right at OU. Zips can't and won't do that. How likely,that the Zips beat OU in Athens given what is on the line? Lets hear it.

7 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

After the Zips beat Ball State, some folks posted here that what they had to do was 'Beat The East'! The Toledo game wasn't that crucial. Unfortunately,the Buffalo game sank the Zip's season. People can rationalize all they want. And thats what I see a lot of people doing on this site. Beat Buffalo,you are playing for the MAC East on 11-22. Whether or not OU lost last night,you gotta beat a team as weak as Buffalo anyway. At this point CMU is significantly stronger than Akron. And,they tore up OU with a big,strong RB running right at OU. Zips can't and won't do that. How likely,that the Zips beat OU in Athens given what is on the line? Lets hear it.

Is CMU significantly stronger than Akron? They lost to Kent and Miami the 2 weeks prior to last nights game. I'd say the chances aren't great, but there is still a reasonable chance we can beat them. As I said above, it depends on who is healthy and which team shows up though. Play like we did the past month and we will get embarrassed. But when we were 5-3 I don't think many thought OU was head and shoulders better than us.

22 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Unfortunately,the Buffalo game sank the Zip's season. People can rationalize all they want. And thats what I see a lot of people doing on this site. Beat Buffalo,you are playing for the MAC East on 11-22.

I think you've missed some of the analysis here.

Beat Buffalo, and we would have been able to tie OU on 11/22 (and win the East on the tiebreaker)

Unfortunately, we would have needed to beat Buffalo, OU and one other game to tie Miami.  

On 11/17/2016 at 5:18 AM, Balsy said:

The logic was beat 3/4 of the final 4 teams.  BG, Buffalo and OU.  The tall order part was beating OU.  That logic was sound, there's no rationalizing about that at all.  Unfortunately we dropped both games to BG and Buffalo.  

Yep,as I said 'beat the East' that included BGSU,UB and OU and you are in by tiebreaker if nothing else. Didn't really need Toledo if you take care of the Division games. And,those 3 East games certainly 'looked' more winnable than Toledo at the time. It is hard to believe the Miami team we saw early can go to Detroit and/or a bowl game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't know where to put this & didn't want to start a negative thread concerning an individual player.  

But I still can't get over how unproductive Se'Von Pittman was this year.  Here is a year-end summary from the Canton Repository.

DL Se'Von Pittman, sr., McKinley: Appeared in 11 games (10 starts), making 25 tackles, including one for loss. Also had two quarterback hurries.

In 11 games Se'Von only had 25 tackles.  Basically 2 tackles per game?  ONE tackle for loss?!?!  Only TWO quarterback hurries?!?!  (Zero sacks, needless to say.)

Perplexing.

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Didn't know where to put this & didn't want to start a negative thread concerning an individual player.  

But I still can't get over how unproductive Se'Von Pittman was this year.  Here is a year-end summary from the Canton Repository.

DL Se'Von Pittman, sr., McKinley: Appeared in 11 games (10 starts), making 25 tackles, including one for loss. Also had two quarterback hurries.

In 11 games Se'Von only had 25 tackles.  Basically 2 tackles per game?  ONE tackle for loss?!?!  Only TWO quarterback hurries?!?!  (Zero sacks, needless to say.)

Perplexing.

That being said, he still played 13 circles around Jelani Hamilton.  No wonder the defense blew.

8 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Perplexing.

You echo what I have felt for a long time about twp of our counted on D linemen, Pittman and hamilton. Neither were what we wanted and certainly not what we needed. They have so much talent it is ridiculous, but they have no desire and it showed. Is it any wonder OSU and Miami gladly let them go. Put their talent and physical gifts with a humble, hungry athlete and we would have had a very successful season. What a shame to waste such talent.