2016 Media Day

Blue & Gold

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Marla Ridenour: For UA basketball, loyalty wins out as Isaiah Johnson, Kwan Cheatham spurn chance to transfer

http://www.ohio.com/sports/zips/marla-ridenour-for-ua-basketball-loyalty-wins-out-as-isaiah-johnson-kwan-cheatham-spurn-chance-to-transfer-1.720883

Didn't even know that was a possibility that would have been devastating to the team. Glad they stuck around wonder if they got any overtures?

4 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

One thing that stood out was that he hopes for a new or upgraded arena...not so much for him, but for the next coach. Struck me as a bit odd.

I don't really find it odd. He's 58 and from the interviews that I've heard over the years he doesn't sound like a guy that wants to coach until he's 70. Realistically I see him coaching at Akron for maybe another 5-7 years. If Akron devised a plan to get a new arena, it would likely take 2-3 years to get everything finalized (assuming everything goes smoothly) and for the arena to built. Currently after the failed attempt at getting the city to fund it via taxes, the talks have been tabled. At best a new arena would happen as Dambrot has 1 foot out the door and Dambrot realizes that.

Dambrot is a local guy who went and played sports at Akron. He invested a great deal of his time and effort into the Akron basketball program. He wants to see it succeed even if he isn't the one at the helm.