at BGSU (Saturday, 10/29/2016)

Well it is the first and second place teams in the conference late in the season so I think it qualifies as key. Maddening WVU's one win is against us. And apparently we can expect to tie WMU?

Bowling Green 2-0-1 9-5-2

Akron 2-1-0 8-5-2

Buffalo 1-1-1 9-3-2

Western Michigan 0-0-3 8-5-4

West Virginia 1-2-0 8-5-1

Northern Illinois 0-2-1 1-9-4

At this point, I guess all games (wins) are key, but especially conference games. The MAC AQ to the NCAA Tourney may be especially needed this season and best position is to host the MAC Tourney.

MAC Standings as MDZip provided (with soccer points); not sure if NCAA uses W's as a discriminator like MLS or if they go immediately to goal differential for tiebreaker (edit: after head-to-head, of course)

Bowling Green 2-0-1 (7 points)

Akron 2-1-0 (6 points)

Buffalo 1-1-1 9-3-2 (4 points)

Western Michigan 0-0-3 (3 points)

West Virginia 1-2-0 (3 points)

Northern Illinois 0-2-1 (1 point)

Edited by Zip_ME87

I think that a large % of people from the Copley/Fairlawn areas will be traveling to BGSU for this game.

I sure do hope that the Copley/Fairlawn folks supporting Brad Ruhaak and Skye Harter are much happier at the end of the game than the copley fans pulling for Chris Brennan.

I hope that both Brad and Skye have big games.

52 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Call me spoiled.  But, I've had a very difficult time getting excited about Zips Soccer since these losses and ties started piling up this year.  

It actually makes me feel a bit guilty, because if Football or Basketball was ranked in the 20's right now, I'd be thrilled to death.  

There are many more Football and Basketball programs in the NCAA than there are Soccer.  There are less than 300 DI MSOC.

And Zips may fall out of top 30 this week.  Not that polls mean much this time of year.  RPI is king.

Keep the standard high.  We have been to the mountain.  Nothing less will suffice.  Do not be satisfied with this.

Edited by fknbuflobo
spelling
  • Like 1

Just as a reference, According to Wikipedia, there are 351 schools in 32 Division I basketball conferences and 128 schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). Looking at the RPI listing on NCAA.com, there are 208 NCAA D1 soccer schools.

Although I agree that we need to keep the standards high, it is unrealistic not to expect a downturn from time to time. There have been and are a significant number of injuries on this current team, in addition to the loss of VS8. This team is frustrating in that one game they play inspired and the next they let the opponent make them look pathetic.  Lack of team leadership? Lack of proper coaching/motivation? I don't know. This team can still make the NCAA Tourney, but will likely be playing the MAC Tourney somewhere other than Akron this season.

Edited by Zip_ME87

7 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

There are many more Football and Basketball programs in the NCAA than there are Soccer.  There are less than 300 DI MSOC.

Football has far less than that, in our case.  There's only 128 football programs who qualify in the rankings.  D-1 is split up in football, and we're in that top division.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

This team can still make the NCAA Tourney, but will likely be playing the MAC Tourney somewhere other than Akron this season.

This is a question for you soccer guys.  When was the last time that we did NOT host the MAC tourney?  I'm thinking that it's been a long time.  

Yes, even with a program at our level, there's going to be "down" years.  But it's been a long time since we've had a down year like this.  

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:32 PM, GoZips88 said:

Time to go beat BG at their place and take care of business at home against WMU so we can host the MAC tourney. Finish on top in the MAC, win the MAC tourney, and give our best effort in the NCAA tournament as prep for 2017. Let's go Zips!

What is the total of D1 Football combined with D1A?  I can research that should I choose.  Never mind.

Zips MSOC should first be compared to elite MSOC programs rather than to other sports within our school.  Missing the NCAA tournament will never be acceptable at Maryland, NCarolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Indiana, etc.   

Should we consider Akron MSOC among the elite?  I firmly believe we should.

So Skip, do not feel guilty.  You are right to be dissatisfied.  Grumble!  It is what good fans do.

Thanks for helping me distill my thought.

Edited by fknbuflobo
  • Like 1

fknbuflobo, if you're going to make these kind of comments about "elite" programs, then you do need to do some research. When is the last time Maryland, NCarolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Indiana missed the NCAA Tourney? Look it up and tell us or don;t post these things. No team is perfect as much as I'd like them to be. Louisville, who has invested a significant amount of money in their program, missed the tourney last year.

I think the last time the Zips did not host the Tourney was Caleb's first season...2006...but I'll look it up and edit this post if necessary.

Edit: It was 2006...hosted by Northern Illinois, as I thought. They were celebrating their last NCAA appearance (which was 2006) when the Zips played there this season. (Source http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/files/2015-msoc-guide-web.pdf, page 58)

Edited by Zip_ME87

With a few minutes of research, it appears Notre Dame was last not in the NCAA Tourney in 2011. Couldn't find a media guide more recent than 2013. I didn't look for the others listed.

I'm not saying that a season like this one is acceptable. It is not. However, it is also not realistic to expect that a season such as this will never happen.

Portland Timbers owner Merritt Paulson says missing playoffs was 'not acceptable'

Edited by Zip_ME87

30 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

fknbuflobo, if you're going to make these kind of comments about "elite" programs, then you do need to do some research. When is the last time Maryland, NCarolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Indiana missed the NCAA Tourney? Look it up and tell us or don;t post these things. No team is perfect as much as I'd like them to be. Louisville, who has invested a significant amount of money in their program, missed the tourney last year.

I think the last time the Zips did not host the Tourney was Caleb's first season...2006...but I'll look it up and edit this post if necessary.

Edit: It was 2006...hosted by Northern Illinois, as I thought. They were celebrating their last NCAA appearance (which was 2006) when the Zips played there this season. (Source http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/files/2015-msoc-guide-web.pdf, page 58)

Missing the NCAA tourney happens occasionally to the elite.  But that does not mean I must be OK with Akron missing this tournament.  I will not make excuses. Better effort by this squad vs. WVA, and we would not be having this conversation.

Ken Lolla was rumored to be fired last year for missing the tournament. Louisville came to their senses and rightfully retained him.  Notre Dame completely restructured their soccer recruiting after missing the tournament in 2011. Coach John Kerr at Duke can save his job by making the tournament this year, after missing the past few (3?).  Elite programs do not quietly accept bad seasons. Nor should we.

Should Zips miss the NCAA Tournament (God forbid), then some rigorous reassessment of the program need follow.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fknbuflobo said:

Should Zips miss the NCAA Tournament (God forbid), then some rigorous reassessment of the program need follow.  

I agree, but also challenge you to ask yourself what you're doing to keep the program elite. Showing up to home games is a huge start, but are you doing anything else? And by "you", I mean anyone who is beating their chest that having a down year now and again is completely unacceptable. A good handful of folks showed up at BG, but the home crowds and folks not being willing to travel a few hours to support this team, yet griping how something needs to be done to keep it elite, is beyond me. Keeping this team at the highest level is every bit as much the fans' responsibility as it is anyone's.

Edited by Zip_ME87

I watched on ESPN3 as a rebroadcast before I knew the outcome. Tremendous quality of the broadcast!

Having said that, we totally dominated BUGS, but their goals came on defensive lapses...goalie out way too far unnecessarily (but a great finish from near midfield), and a lack of communication and marking from the outside back and outside midfielder on a cross.

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there...this is largely the same team that made the College Cup last year. This season has been characterized by poor discipline, defensive lapses, a general lack of focus, and no sense of offensive urgency. These all have to do with coaching, not talent. Can you imagine a Caleb Porter team performing like this? Me either. Embick has been good up until this season, but I am starting to lose confidence in him.

I'm okay with a down year every once in a while; however, given the talent, this season should not be one of those.

Edited by UAZipster0305

19 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there...this is largely the same team that made the College Cup last year. This season has been characterized by poor discipline, defensive lapses, a general lack of focus, and no sense of offensive urgency. These all have to do with coaching, not talent. Can you imagine a Caleb Porter team performing like this? Me either. Embick has been good up until this season, but I am starting to lose confidence in him.

I'm okay with a down year every once in a while; however, given the talent, this season should not be one of those.

On the Caleb Porter comment, CP would definitely be all over these guys in practice and during games. He would not just pull them but he would tell them in no uncertain terms what they weren't doing or were doing wrong. I would certainly hope that our coaches are doing that even if not quite in the same way as CP would.

I agree that "This season has been characterized by poor discipline, defensive lapses, a general lack of focus, and no sense of offensive urgency.", However, as far as largely the same team as last season, really? We have had some significant changes this season which is part of the issue...

• We MISS Andrew Souders...no doubt. No one brings what Andrew did to our back line. Often, he was able to make up for others' shortcomings.
  • We MISS Richie Laryea. I like what Nick Hinds and Jonathan Lewis bring, but we just moved Hinds up in the tOSU match.
  • We miss Victor. No one has been able to fill that void yet.
  • Stuart has not been available most of the season. He got in at BG, but is hurting again. His speed didn't seem to be there.
  • We've had to change starting lineups in almost every match this season due to various injuries and losing Victor. Not sure how much consistency we can expect when we can't get a consistent starting lineup going.

Also note Adam had multiple opportunities to score at BG from restarts with good position.  The ball sailed well over the net each time. I'm not certain, but it looked like he was hurting.

Edited by Zip_ME87

Top 2015 Goal scorers

Richie Laryea, 11 (gone)

Adam Najem, 10

Sam Gainford, 8

Stuart Holthusen, 8 (out most of the 2016 season)

I took Victor out of the list because 6 of his 8 goals were from PK's.

Source: http://www.gozips.com/sports/msoc/2015-16/teams/akron?view=lineup&r=1&pos=kickers

9 hours ago, UAZipster0305 said:

What is so frustrating is that the talent is there...this is largely the same team that made the College Cup last year.

I don't see the zips in person as often as many of you.

However, the lineup that faced BGSU had nowhere near the talent as last year's final four team

BGSU - Shane Wiedt and Brad Ruhaak...as Danilo has been injured last two matches

College cup...Danilo and Brad...

Shane has improved greatly but he is not at Danilo's level

Left Def. back...Andrew Souders vs. Niko De Vera...Niko played behind Andrew last year.  Andrew was all league multiple times.

No comparison in talent level of the 4 defensive players

Forward - Stuart was at the top of his game last year in the NCAA's.   Stuart played very little against BGSU.   Stuart has dealt with knee issues all year so the center forward position does not have the same talent level.

Midfield - Richie Laryea was the #6 or #7 overall pick.  His speed opened up so much space for Adam, Sam, and Stuart.  As ZIPME87 said, Nick and Jonathan will improve greatly but they would not be a top 7 draft pick after this year.

Holding midfield...Victor will go down in Akron history as one of the best holding midfielders to ever play at Akron.   Pau Belana and Goncalo Soares have gigantic shoes to fill on both defense and offense.

This team can still do well....but they need Stuart and Danilo back healthy and they need to have the same 11 players available for the remaining matches in the regular season and post season.  To say that the talent is very similar.......is a statement that I can not agree with

• Like 1