Game 1: Zips @ Youngstown State - 11/12

ZachTheZip

I am quite concerned that Dambrot does not think highly enough of Utomi, Olojakpoke, or Eubanks to give them a single minute of playing time tonight. With Agba already transferred out of the program, that is starting to look like all misses for an entire year of recruiting. Especially when you see that both of the true freshmen got extended playing time.

On 11/6/2016 at 2:14 PM, ZachTheZip said:

I'm excited for this season, though I don't really have a reason why. Just a good feeling.

YSU doesn't strike me as a team with much depth. If Akron can't beat a team picked to finish at the bottom of the Horizon League, it's going to be a long season.

I guess it is going to be a long season.  Very unimpressive start.  KD started 3 guards, Antino, Robotham, and Josh Williams.  I do not think that any of them played well consistently well tonight.  Kwan started hot and ended cold.  Our offense is based on hitting the 3 ball.  If we do not hit that shot we are going to have trouble.  When we got close we shot quick 3 ball instead of working the ball into Big Dog.  I thought Tavian, Big Dog and Jimond played well but that was about it.  Once again Kwan relies on his outside shot and does not want to go outside.      

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

I guess it is going to be a long season.  Very unimpressive start.  KD started 3 guards, Antino, Robotham, and Josh Williams.  I do not think that any of them played well consistently well tonight.      

I thought that those 3 guards would probably start, based on Keith's past reliance on his most experienced players.  The problem is that these 3 guys and Martin are going to have some tough matchup problems.  Ivey is really the only formidable force who can come in and help that group in that area.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

12 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I thought that those 3 guards would probably start, based on Keith's past reliance on his most experienced players.  The problem is that these 3 guys and Martin are going to have some tough matchup problems.  Ivey is really the only formidable force who can come in and help that group in that area.  

I would start Ivey over Josh since he is more of a forward and gives the team some athleticism and height.  The 3 guards are great shooters but if they are not hitting the 3 ball, we look ugly like tonight.  I noticed that as soon as Ivey makes a mistake KD pulls him but he has a much more patience with the starters.  

57 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's game #1 guys. Let's not try to overreact. UConn lost to Wagner last night. This stuff happens. Perhaps it will be a long year. Perhaps it won't be. Either way we haven't seen enough to say either way with certainty how things will shake out.

Hey, I thought we had 2 of our top 5 starters that could have have transferred anywhere in the country? And we lost to YSU? Embarrassing. No other way to spin it.

Lame sauce!!

Where is Daniel Utomi?!

Not surprised Olojakpoke didn't get any PT.  He doesn't move like a baller.  If you don't know what I mean by that, I can't explain it to you.

Kwan is too streaky.  Did he even score once in the 2nd half?

Dunn-Martin's gonna be pretty good.  I like his fire.  Josh & Noah could use some of that.  They're both cool as cucumbers... but it gets to a point where it looks like they're sleepwalking... even to the point of being disinterested.

Start Ivey over Josh.  We need his length and athleticism out there if we're gonna start/play Antino & Noah together.  I liked Ivey's rebounding.

Big Mike looked comfortable out there for his first college game... but he's no Big Dog.

If Aaron Jackson gets this much PT the rest of the year... it's gonna be a long year.

Michigan must really suck.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Hey, I thought we had 2 of our top 5 starters that could have have transferred anywhere in the country? And we lost to YSU? Embarrassing. No other way to spin it.

Definitely embarassing losing to an in region school we were expected to beat handedly, not denying that. This is game 1 of 31 regular season contests. I'm just not ready to say we can't turn it around and contend for the MAC title.

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Lame sauce!!

Where is Daniel Utomi?!

Not surprised Olojakpoke didn't get any PT.  He doesn't move like a baller.  If you don't know what I mean by that, I can't explain it to you.

Kwan is too streaky.  Did he even score once in the 2nd half?

Dunn-Martin's gonna be pretty good.  I like his fire.  Josh & Noah could use some of that.  They're both cool as cucumbers... but it gets to a point where it looks like they're sleepwalking... even to the point of being disinterested.

Start Ivey over Josh.  We need his length and athleticism out there if we're gonna start/play Antino & Noah together.  I liked Ivey's rebounding.

Big Mike looked comfortable out there for his first college game... but he's no Big Dog.

If Aaron Jackson gets this much PT the rest of the year... it's gonna be a long year.

Michigan must really suck.

Why will it be a long year if he gets that much PT?

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Definitely embarassing losing to an in region school we were expected to beat handedly, not denying that. This is game 1 of 31 regular season contests. I'm just not ready to say we can't turn it around and contend for the MAC title.

It looks like there is a few people who are ready to pack it in for the season, but I'm sure most of us agree with you that it's certainly too early to make any grand assumptions about the season.  Way too early.  But in particular, there has to be some major concern after last night about how we're going to find ways to defend people with the personnel we have this year.  The way YSU was able to move and get open shots was one thing.  But their ability to get to the basket repeatedly was beyond alarming.  

I can see it now.  Those on this board who have been pleading for us to use a Zone more often are really going to be screaming for that change this year.  

6 hours ago, Zipps Pop said:

Why will it be a long year if he gets that much PT?

Oh boy, I don't really want to get into this... because I hate being negative & I love all of our players for simply wearing "Akron" on their chests.  But typically, over Aaron's 3 years here, Aaron's not been a big contributor at this level.  He hasn't seen a lot of PT & when he does play he's more or less used as a placeholder to give the starter a rest.  He's an energy/effort guy, but sometimes the game just seems to move a little too quickly for Aaron.  But having said that, it's Aaron's senior year & I hope he makes a big jump & has a really productive year!  & no matter what I hope he has fun & gets his degree - that's all that really matters in the end.

• Like 1

Although this was certainly a disappointing loss, the first regular season game in College Basketball means absolutely nothing.  I would like to see the same level of concern on this board when the football team loses games that matter to teams they shouldn't lose to.

• Like 1

I think that KD needs to rethink his starting lineup.  The 3 guard starters, cannot penetrate and drive to the basket.  (Antino is the best at getting to the hoop but did little last night)  Further, the starting forward,  Kwan, is also a person that does not play close to the basket.  It is Big Dog or bust.  When they started to triple team Big Dog, he kicked it out to the shooters who were not consistently hitting the 3 point shot.  Further, this team is not fast and we have few fast break points.  The offense looks like the same as last year, play inside out and have shooters waiting on the wing for the 3 point shot when they double team Big Dog.  However, no Jake or Reggie on the wing.  I was expecting a more athletic team with Utomi and he never made it off the bench.  Unfortunately, I still think that Robotham is a step slow on defense after his ACL tear.  We need more speed and toughness on D.

We will need the cupcake schedule in the beginning of the year at home to get this team on the right track.  KD is a great coach and he will need to make adjustments if this team is going to be successful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Oh boy, I don't really want to get into this... because I hate being negative & I love all of our players for simply wearing "Akron" on their chests.  But typically, over Aaron's 3 years here, Aaron's not been a big contributor at this level.  He hasn't seen a lot of PT & when he does play he's more or less used as a placeholder to give the starter a rest.  He's an energy/effort guy, but sometimes the game just seems to move a little too quickly for Aaron.  But having said that, it's Aaron's senior year & I hope he makes a big jump & has a really productive year!  & no matter what I hope he has fun & gets his degree - that's all that really matters in the end.

Well It is kinda hard to actually contribute when 2 min after you get in you are subbed back out last night he nailed a 3 played great defense had 4 rebounds in that stretch and soon as he was into it was subbed out he is a high energy guy so let him get into the flow of the game instead of going with a starter that is having a horrible night it seems like when KD gets stuck on a kid he will leave them in on a horrible night and it hurts the team more then helps

My thoughts echo a lot that has already been stated...

Now I see why some are so adamant against playing YSU. This is embasrassing. Thankfully I won't have to hear about at-large bids or RPI this season.  The play by play guy was super annoying. Seemed clearly in favor of YSU for whatever reason.

Thought Hughes and obviously Dunn-Martin came in and looked the part. Antino needs to play better. Kwan seems to be back in love with the 3. Not really what the team needs considering everyone else on the floor. My biggest concern is lack of size. I think some combination of Eubanks/Aa Jackson/Utomi need to log serious minutes at the 3. We don't need much scoring out of them when everyone else is more than capable of scoring. Just hustle plays and defense. No more than 2 of Ivey/Tino/Noah/Dunn/Josh should be on the floor at the same time IMO. Its a super small lineup when 3 of them are out there considering Ivey is the only one I truly believe is at least 6 foot.

One final concern...I think Tino and Noah shouldn't be on the court together if at all possible. Not a knock on either of them, but I just don't think they compliment each other well. I'd personally start Noah/Williams I think and use Tino as the 6th man. No shame in that. Just not sure Tino is being used most effectively as an off the ball guard. I'd like to see Noah more aggressive on offense as well rather than more of a facilitator. I remember how much promise he showed his freshman year.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zipps Pop said:

Well It is kinda hard to actually contribute when 2 min after you get in you are subbed back out last night he nailed a 3 played great defense had 4 rebounds in that stretch and soon as he was into it was subbed out he is a high energy guy so let him get into the flow of the game instead of going with a starter that is having a horrible night it seems like when KD gets stuck on a kid he will leave them in on a horrible night and it hurts the team more then helps

Agreed.  If you're a starter KD seems to give you too much slack but non-starters don't get the same opportunity to play through mistakes.

Last night Ivey was yanked after a mistake (don't remember what, exactly) & KD pulled him.  I turned to my friend & said, "I wouldn't have been able to play for KD.  He would've crushed my confidence.  I was always so worried about making mistakes I needed coaches who told me to calm down, take a deep breath & chill - this is only a game."  

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

My thoughts echo a lot that has already been stated...

Now I see why some are so adamant against playing YSU. This is embasrassing. Thankfully I won't have to hear about at-large bids or RPI this season.  The play by play guy was super annoying. Seemed clearly in favor of YSU for whatever reason.

Thought Hughes and obviously Dunn-Martin came in and looked the part. Antino needs to play better. Kwan seems to be back in love with the 3. Not really what the team needs considering everyone else on the floor. My biggest concern is lack of size. I think some combination of Eubanks/Aa Jackson/Utomi need to log serious minutes at the 3. We don't need much scoring out of them when everyone else is more than capable of scoring. Just hustle plays and defense. No more than 2 of Ivey/Tino/Noah/Dunn/Josh should be on the floor at the same time IMO. Its a super small lineup when 3 of them are out there considering Ivey is the only one I truly believe is at least 6 foot.

One final concern...I think Tino and Noah shouldn't be on the court together if at all possible. Not a knock on either of them, but I just don't think they compliment each other well. I'd personally start Noah/Williams I think and use Tino as the 6th man. No shame in that. Just not sure Tino is being used most effectively as an off the ball guard. I'd like to see Noah more aggressive on offense as well rather than more of a facilitator. I remember how much promise he showed his freshman year.

I agree with you 100%.  Antino is a point guard, not a two.  He can drive to the basket and dish but wants to have the ball in his hand.  He played his best basketball as a frosh when Noah got injured.  I would start Antino over Noah.  I see Noah as a distributor, but we just do not have any scorers around him that can create their own shot.  It would be nice to see these 2 compete for the starting job.  Hopefully, that would raise their play.   

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

The play by play guy was super annoying. Seemed clearly in favor of YSU for whatever reason.

He was biased towards YSU because he is YSU's radio commentator. He was no where near as much of a homer as Steve French is for the Zips. 

The whole broadcast was well below the quality you normally get with ESPN. I did not like the lack of a color commentator and the halftime interview in which a rather large man was standing in front of, and blocking, the two people talking was laughable.