Game 11—Bowling Green Falcons

Dr Z

Akron lost by 3 TDs to previous 1 win Buffalo, lost by 31 at home to Toledo, and just lost by 2 scores to 1-8 BGSU. I think it is fair to say Akron right now is the worst team in the MAC given its current state. Unless we get the Woodson from week 3 back, we have no shot in hell vs OU next week. Hopefully we can keep the score somewhat close.

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Unless we get the Woodson from week 3 back, we have no shot in hell vs OU next week.

Maybe we wouldn't have a shot at them next week, so it's a good thing we don't play them until the week after :D

Well, instead of the OU game being for a MAC East title, it's for a .500 record.  What a downer.  We almost had a Receiver engineer an amazing comeback at QB tonight, and create a great storyline.  Instead, the storyline is that we lose at home to a really bad team, and put Bowl chances seriously in jeopardy.

8 hours ago, skip-zip said:

we lose at home to a really bad team, and put Bowl chances seriously in jeopardy.

Ya think?

The fact that a team that plays as badly as the Zips can get the words "bowl chances" in a message board post proves one thing.

There are too many bowls.

Edited by K92
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I have been wondering for the last 2 years why Hoyer hasn't at least played some.  There have certainly been situations at QB,including tonight that would have warranted some playing time.

That's what I was thinking. They would rather put a WR out there instead of their 3rd QB?? Why is he even here if that's the case?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skip-zip said:

Instead, the storyline is that we lose at home to a really bad team, and put Bowl chances seriously in jeopardy.

If that's how we play against a team that hasn't beaten an FBS school, I don't WANT to see them in a bowl.

It was embarrassing enough to see that on national TV once...

Edited by Spin

50 minutes ago, Hilltopper said:

Based on what I saw on the sidelines last night, I would assume that Woodson is done for the season. It appears that his shoulder injury is much worse than they have been letting on. Chapman is clearly not a capable QB so they better get Goodman all the reps in the next weeks practice.

It looked to me like Woodson had lack of normal mobility and use in the arm/shoulder as he was trying to shake out all night. I have to wonder if it is not a neck disc or a pinched nerve. These type injuries can take a while to heal.     

Edited by UA1987

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

If Woody's done the season's done.

I'm probably gonna go to the JAR & watch the basketball team take on Ga. Southern instead of watching our final fb game vs. OU.

I didn't even realize the games overlapped until now. But yeah, I'm definitely going to the jar. I'd rather watch the Zips beat up on some cupcake instead of being OU's cupcake and losing to them for a 9th straight year.

• Like 1

When the post mortem of this season is done in 2 weeks,I think we have to look at the season from Game 1 and not just from the point where injuries started happening. 

Look at the offensive side from Game 1. Look at the defensive side from game 1. Ask whether recruiting is adequate to keep up with the changes that invariably occur on MAC rosters. Ask whether the type of players being recruited is appropriate for the situation as it stands at Akron now. Ask whether the coaching staff is getting the most out of the players it has chosen. There are certainly some positives but there are also deficiencies. I saw both at that game last night. But,as frustrating as this season has been,wait until after OU.

• Like 1

So our best win this year is going to end up being over Miami (a team that started 0-6) and we've given both 2 wins Buffalo and Bowling Green their only conference wins. :puke:

But so as not to be completely negative Tom O'Leary has taken what was thought to be a weakness into a strength,

Edited by MDZip

1 hour ago, K92 said:

There are too many bowls.

Regardless of your frustration over how the Zips are playing, which is shared by everyone, I'd still rather be playing in a bowl game vs. not playing in a bowl game.  

Although I wouldn't jump through the ceiling with joy about taking 6-6 team to a bowl game, I think it's more embarrassing to be in this current system where 80 teams make it to a bowl, and you are NOT one of them.    

2 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

I understand Woodson has a bad shoulder and that affects our team dramatically, but how can there be such a drop in talent/performance when Chapman comes in? He was originally a Pitt recruit. How is this possible?

Play calling plays a big factor I'd say. Chapman's strengths aren't the same as Woodson's yet Akron OC is stubborn in not wanting to alter his game plan to fit the strengths of his QB. With Chapman in they should do more QB draws, bubble screens, and higher percentage passes over the middle of the field. Instead they still try to dial up the long ball even though that's not his strength.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Play calling plays a big factor I'd say. Chapman's strengths aren't the same as Woodson's yet Akron OC is stubborn in not wanting to alter his game plan to fit the strengths of his QB. With Chapman in they should do more QB draws, bubble screens, and higher percentage passes over the middle of the field. Instead they still try to dial up the long ball even though that's not his strength.

That brings me to another point. Am I the only one that thinks Milwee needs to go?

41 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

It's funny that Chapman throwing the long ball is the reason why we won the Kent game.  But since that time, it seems like his accuracy and decision making on those throws has just deteriorated down to the point where I don't want to even see him attempt them anymore.  

You're right.  Altering the play calling to fit his ability seems like the only common-sense move.  

1 hour ago, blueandgold said:

I understand Woodson has a bad shoulder and that affects our team dramatically, but how can there be such a drop in talent/performance when Chapman comes in? He was originally a Pitt recruit. How is this possible?

Because stars don't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueandgold said:

That brings me to another point. Am I the only one that thinks Milwee needs to go?

I was surprised to see Milwee on the sidelines in the second half.  When he continued to go for the home run in the 1st qt, I wanted to reach through the TV and choke him myself.  GO FOR A FIRST DOWN!! GET OUT OF THE HOLE!!!  I don't know what goes on in practice, but when I watched the team warm up before the Miami game, they had Kato taking some snaps.  Why?  If they have no confidence in Hoyer,  get someone else ready.  Our D has come under a lot of fire this year, but I have to say our Offense was our worst Defense, particularly the first half.  BG started their possessions near midfield (or inside the 5).  There doesn't need to be any big announcement, but if I were TB, I would take over OC duties right now to try to salvage one more win.  Loyalty is on thing.  Masochism is another.

5 hours ago, blueandgold said:

Yes, he was a Pitt recruit, to play WIDE RECEIVER as I recall.